Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Makeup Survey

>

GraceKrispy

Makeup Survey
Old 04-07-2017, 05:01 PM

GG's post below prompted this survey from me I was surprised at how many people wouldn't leave home purposefully without makeup. I think I've been living in really laid-back, mostly makeup-less areas for so long I'm really used to very natural looks that either don't look like makeup at all, or look like very light makeup. So that made me wonder about everyone else

Do you wear makeup daily?

What do you wear (e.g., foundation, blush, eye makeup, etc.)?

If you do wear makeup regularly, are there any events for which you routinely don't wear makeup?

Do most people in your area wear makeup?

Where do you live? (General area is fine of course!)

GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 04-07-2017, 05:15 PM

I do wear makeup daily because I have Rosacea that makes my cheeks and nose an unattractive red at times. It gets better in the summer when I get a little sun on my face. Daily I do foundation, blush, eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, lip liner, lipstick, and if I remember I top it off with powder. It is such a routine that it doesn't take me very long at all. My two co-workers both apply their makeup at school almost every day. I think that is just odd! Most of my friends wear at least some makeup daily. We all get a little relaxed in the summer. I live in TN.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

PCSLackey

Old 04-07-2017, 05:16 PM

Do you wear makeup daily? No, that's the beauty of being a SAHM at the moment. I only put on makeup if I am going somewhere, and even then it's debatable.

What do you wear (e.g., foundation, blush, eye makeup, etc.)? Bare Minerals Foundation and blush plus some mascara.

If you do wear makeup regularly, are there any events for which you routinely don't wear makeup?

Do most people in your area wear makeup? Maybe? I don't really pay attention.

Where do you live? (General area is fine of course!) Eastern Kentucky
PCSLackey is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 04-07-2017, 05:17 PM

I live in rural NH. I never wear make up. I think the last time I wore any was at my dd's wedding. At that time, I checked the supply in my drawer and found that all the make up I owned dated back to my own wedding 25 years before.

I have not worn make up regularly/daily since I was in junior high school,in the 1960s.

I don't know many people who wear make up. My dd says that's because I hang out with aging hippies.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 04-07-2017, 05:21 PM

I don't wear any if I'm home, but I always wear lipstick, blush, and eyeliner when I go out. If it's for work I add eyeshadow and mascara.

I only wear foundation if it's a big event, like a wedding. I don't like the way it feels on my face.

teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 04-07-2017, 05:28 PM

1. Not daily. Generally weekends not so much, unless I'm going on a date or out with friends.

2. concealer, powder, blush, eyelid primer, shadow, liner, mascara, chapstick

3. I live in the midwest
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

SoCalTeach

Old 04-07-2017, 05:30 PM

Do you wear makeup daily? YES!!!!

What do you wear (e.g., foundation, blush, eye makeup, etc.)? The full face: foundation, blush, eyeshadow, eyebrow pencil, eyeliner, lipstick, mascara

If you do wear makeup regularly, are there any events for which you routinely don't wear makeup? I never go without makeup at school

Do most people in your area wear makeup? Some

Where do you live? (General area is fine of course!) Southern California
SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 04-07-2017, 05:40 PM

Do you wear makeup daily? just during the week or if I am going out on the weekends

What do you wear (e.g., foundation, blush, eye makeup, etc.)? moisturizer,primer,foundation,e yeliner,eyeshadow,mascara,lip gloss

If you do wear makeup regularly, are there any events for which you routinely don't wear makeup? staying in my house

Do most people in your area wear makeup? not really. I have found makeup to be fun to experiment with and did not start using it until I was 45 or so. Love the stuff now. The moisturizing part I have used since my 20s . Makeup seems to be an age thing around here.

Where do you live? California

I discovered the fun of makeup as I got older and experienced redness on my cheeks due to hormone changes. Makeup helped me feel as though I looked alright going outside. It isn't easy going in public with things on your face you are not used to.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-07-2017, 05:42 PM

I rarely wear makeup. Like, almost never. Maybe once every few weeks to work, and usually if I go to a special event (which is almost never)

When I do wear makeup, it's soft brown eyeliner and a tinted lotion. I might wear lip gloss, but I honestly can't remember the last time I did

I live in the PNW, and most people my age I'm acquainted with at work or such don't wear makeup. I would say the people in their younger 20s do tend to wear makeup more often.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 04-07-2017, 05:53 PM

I do a full face every day. I'm very pale and freckled. I feel like I look ill without makeup. I usually have a natural look unless I'm going somewhere special, then I dress it up a bit. Most people I know wear makeup everyday. I'm sure many others don't but I don't often notice. I wear makeup because I like it. I live in Ontario.

FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 04-07-2017, 06:07 PM

I don't wear make up.

As for others in this area, some wear it, some don't.
GlacierRose is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 04-07-2017, 06:21 PM

I wear makeup every school day. More just in the last few years when I realized I was starting to look older. I wear Bare Minerals foundation, blush, eye shadow, eye liner, and mascara.

I don't wear make up if I'm just around the house or running errands.

I think most people my age (30's) around me wear makeup, as well as women of all ages at school. I think the only people I know who don't wear makeup are SAHMs.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Makeup
Old 04-07-2017, 06:29 PM

Yes, for work every day. Full face. For just weekends or whatever sometimes no sometimes yes. Just to run to the store, no.

Everyone I know at work wears makeup to work. Most people around here do. I'm in the Dallas, TX area.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Old 04-07-2017, 06:29 PM

Do you wear makeup daily? During the school year, yes--except for Saturdays/holidays when I'm not going anywhere. During the summer, I routinely do NOT wear makeup.

What do you wear (e.g., foundation, blush, eye makeup, etc.)? foundation, blush, powder, eye shadow, mascara, lip gloss

If you do wear makeup regularly, are there any events for which you routinely don't wear makeup? Ummm....working out?

Do most people in your area wear makeup? Hmmm. Most of my fellow teachers do. The general public in my small town? About 50/50 probably.

Where do you live? (General area is fine of course!) Midwest
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Make Up
Old 04-07-2017, 06:33 PM

Do you wear makeup daily? Now that I am retired I do not wear makeup most days.

What do you wear (e.g., foundation, blush, eye makeup, etc.)? foundation, blush and lipstick/ On rare occasions I wear mascara if my allergies are not acting up.

Do most people in your area wear makeup? Yes

Where do you live? (General area is fine of course!) central Texas
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-07-2017, 06:37 PM

I wear Bare Minerals foundation, mascara, eyeliner, eye shadow, bronzer, and eyebrows every day to school. I know very few women who don't wear any make up to work.

The only time I don't, is when I'm not leaving the house or or when running. When I sweat, my make up itches. It's weird. Before I used Bare Minerals, I wore make up to the gym.

I look weird without makeup--that's just how I (and the rest of the world) are accustomed to me looking. It's a great disguise to go out without makeup. I have had people literally not recognize me.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 04-07-2017, 06:41 PM

There was a time in my life when I wouldn't go to the grocery store without my false eyelashes on.

I toned it down as I got older & had kids.

I would wear heavy eye makeup (shadow, liner, lashes) & tinted lip gloss. Never wore powder foundation or blush. I am lucky to have a smooth even complexion.

Now that I am retired - the first thing to go was the make up. Nothing but lip gloss today.

Most people wear major makeup - lala land
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-07-2017, 06:42 PM

I LOVE makeup and experimenting with new brands/products! To answer your questions:

I wear makeup daily, unless I'm staying at home all day.

I wear it all: Mattifying cream under makeup, foundation, face powder, lipstick/lip gloss, eyeliner, mascara, blush, eyeshadow, and at times, followed by makeup setting spray. Maybe I'll contour my face also with some highlighting powder.

I can't leave the house completely bare-faced. I wear all the above to:

- work
- fancy occasions
- nice days out like to the movies & other fun/nice events

I'll wear foundation, eyeliner, and lipstick to the gym or to go walking.

In my area, I don't really notice much. I guess 1/2 & 1/2.

I live in southern California about an hour from L.A.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 04-07-2017, 06:48 PM

Do you wear makeup daily? Yes

What do you wear (e.g., foundation, blush, eye makeup, etc.)? I routinely wear foundation, eye shadow & liner, mascara, blush, lip gloss.

If you do wear makeup regularly, are there any events for which you routinely don't wear makeup? Sometimes on weekend days, if I'm cleaning or just not planning to go anywhere.

Do most people in your area wear makeup? Yes

Where do you live? (General area is fine of course!) Chicago

I am very pale & when I worked at a daycare center right out of college, I pulled the early morning shift one day but got up late so had to go in w/o makeup. When I got to work, a dad was waiting outside for me to open up and he asked me if I was sick. My response? "NO, I'm just not wearing makeup!" Hence, I usually wear makeup!
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Henrietta

Old 04-07-2017, 06:50 PM

I am a makeup junkie and always have been. I love lotions and potions. Nothing makes me happier than a new lipstick. However, as I have gotten older, how I wear makeup has changed dramatically changed since turning 50. I do not wear makeup to the gym... I just slop on a lot of non irritating sunscreen (I live in the desert).

Do you wear makeup daily? No, since retiring, I go several days without wearing makeup. But, when I have business functions with my husband, then yes, I do wear makeup and sometimes I put it on just because I enjoy makeup so much.

What do you wear? I wear a high SPF tinted moisturizer (Dr Jart- currently), sometimes foundation but it often makes my skin look like crap depending on where I'm at in the molting stage of tretinoin use, concealer, powder to set concealer, eye shadow primer, neutral eye shadows, brown non transferable gel eyeliner, mascara, brow tint, bronzer, blush, lipstick or lip gloss (I have many to choose from).

If you do wear makeup regularly, are there any events for which you routinely don't wear makeup? The gym. Good grief, so many women exercise with gobs of makeup on. I also don't care what I look like when I go grocery shopping... not sure how I got over that one... I never used to leave the house with out full makeup on.

Do most people in your area wear makeup? Yup. The beautiful people surround me here. Plastic surgeons and dermatologist abound. Guppy lips and Spock brows everywhere you turn.

Where do you live? Phoenix...I'll bet you were guessing Palm Springs!
Henrietta is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-07-2017, 07:26 PM

Do you wear makeup daily? Most of the time, but not always

What do you wear? Foundation, blush, lip gloss, sometimes a little eye shadow

Do most people in your area wear makeup? Probably but I honestly never pay much attention.

Where do you live? Northeast coast of FL

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 04-07-2017, 07:36 PM

Wow, I never knew there was a "makeup setting spray." Learn something new every day.

I only wear makeup to work and it's very minimal: blush and brown eyeshadow. That's it.

I don't wear makeup on the weekends or in the summer....occasionally I'll put a spot of blush on for church or if DH and I are meeting friends out.

Most people I know wear makeup. One of my teammates doesn't wear any (I only know this because she told me).
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Kermit

Old 04-07-2017, 08:00 PM

I don't wear it daily

When I do, I wear concealer, some gloss and if I'm feeling fancy I'll wear mascara. And when I go all out I have red lipstick so I look a bit vintage

I'll wear it for a job interview, a wedding, a date (not that I have dates)

Some do. When I am around people in make-up I feel plain!

PNW- I don't feel like it's the norm for women to wear make up here. We are all too earthy and too active or something. Or we just don't have that need to put on a face like in other parts of the country.

That being said, some areas have more women who wear make up, like north and south of Seattle
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

My survey answers
Old 04-07-2017, 08:17 PM

Do you wear makeup daily? -- Not since retiring. When I was still teaching, I wore make-up everywhere, every day. I felt seriously ugly without it.

What do you wear (e.g., foundation, blush, eye makeup, etc.)? I have worn mascara on occasion. I am wanting to go to Ulta and try to find a shade of foundation that really matches me. I am fully prepared to wear the full deal again when I find the right color.

If you do wear makeup regularly, are there any events for which you routinely don't wear makeup? N/A for now.

Do most people in your area wear makeup? Now that I think about it, most people do.

Where do you live? (General area is fine of course!) Ohio
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 04-07-2017, 08:30 PM

Do you wear makeup daily? Yes.

What do you wear (e.g., foundation, blush, eye makeup, etc.)? foundation, eyebrow filler, lip gloss, eyeliner, and mascara...sometimes blush, too

If you do wear makeup regularly, are there any events for which you routinely don't wear makeup? not really

Do most people in your area wear makeup? Yes!

Where do you live? (General area is fine of course!) currently living in a large city in Mexico...Makeup is almost an expectation here. For some reason, looks are high priority.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 04-07-2017, 10:47 PM

At the moment, no (maternity leave.) I always do to work or if I'm going to an event, but don't usually wear it on weekends or in the summer.

Tinted moisturizer, concealer, blush, mascara, sometimes eye shadow. Foundation and eye liner usually only if I'm dressing up.

I never do ona lazy day at home, and usually just put on moisturizer if I'm running errands, etc.

I honestly have never really paid attention to it! I know many people who do wear it everyday but others who don't

Nova Scotia
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 04-08-2017, 12:57 AM

What do you wear (e.g., foundation, blush, eye makeup, etc.)? Under eye concealer & a foundation that's in a powder form (it's from Chanel)& can be used wet or dry. I just use it dry.

For special occasions I wear eye shadow, blush mascara and lipgloss

If you do wear makeup regularly, are there any events for which you routinely don't wear makeup? Never leave the house without it!

Do most people in your area wear makeup? I think so but I don't really notice lol

Where do you live? (General area is fine of course!) CA...a suburb
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 04-08-2017, 03:20 AM

I almost never wear makeup. I stopped about two years ago. I didn't like how it would come off on a tissue if I blew my nose or rubbed my eyes when tired. if I wear anything it is mascara.

I will wear Bare Minerals for a special event. I'll use foundation, mascara, eye shadow, lip gloss.

Most people have a very natural look where I live. If they wear makeup it isn't very visible. Only a few people at school wear it.

Maybe makeup depends on lifestyle. I rarely go to special events. We are active and like to hike, bike, camp, and go to the beach. Makeup just doesn't fit with an outdoors lifestyle.

I live outside of Philadelphia.

I know one woman who looks like a clown in her makeup. She has gone with more natural looking makeup and looks so much better.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 04-08-2017, 03:31 AM

For the most part I wear some make up every day if I am leaving the house-- even to just pop in at the grocery store or volunteer at the animal shelter. I have very short eyelashes so at the very least I put on mascara and some eyeliner. Then while I am at it I will put on under eye concealer. If I am just staying at home I don't wear any.

When I am going to work or going out I put on foundation, concealer under eyes and a few other spots, mascara, blush, eyeliner(pencil), powder, and fill in my eyebrows. Once in a great while I will use eye shadow and lip color. I get a kit from Bare Minerals and eye shadow and lip colors come with it so I might use it. My make up is not real stand outish. I guess it looks natural and no one would notice too much if I skipped it Sometimes I wish I could do a better job of it!

I think most people wear at least a little makeup around here. Again, nothing too over the top. Mostly natural looking.

I live in the Midwest.

I always use a facial cleanser, moisturizer (day and night), facial firming serum, and eye cream. I do not consider those things make up.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 04-08-2017, 03:45 AM

I wore makeup in my twenties but after my twins were born in my early thirties, I pretty much stopped. No time for that. Now in my early 50's I still don't as I still have quite oily skin and feel it disappears on my in a couple hours anyway. Sometimes I might try the first few days of school, but it is usually so hot and humid then it also doesn't last. I might wear tinted moisturizer, but usually I just do my regular lotion. I would say at least 1/2 of our staff doesn't wear makeup on a regular basis. I'm in NH.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 04-08-2017, 04:13 AM

I don't wear makeup very often. I buy it thinking I'll start but I only follow through for a few days. My DH prefers me without. If I do wear it, I wear bare minerals foundation, mascara and eyeliner. I always wear lip balm so that's as much as goes on my lips.

I would say a lot of people wear makeup here but not a lot of it.

I want a class in being a woman with hair, makeup and clothes tutorials, skin care and pulling it all together etc.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 04-08-2017, 04:20 AM

Most days. Sometimes on the weekends I don't but it depends on what I'm doing.

Foundation and eyeliner then sometimes eye shadow or mascara

Doing errands on the weekend, going out at night during the week if j already showered from the gym

I would say yes

New England
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 04-08-2017, 04:56 AM

I wear foundation, blush, mascara and lip gloss for work and if I go out. If it's a special occasion, I put on eye shadow and eye liner.
In the summer I just wear mascara and lip gloss.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 04-08-2017, 05:14 AM

I wear it to work, most of the time I will put a bit on if I am going out on the weekend.

I just use a little bit of eye liner and mascara, occasionally I wear foundation.

If i am heading to the beach or to the gym.

Not many teachers wear make up to work, and if they do it is mostly a foundation and maybe eyeliner/mascara. It is RARE to see any eyeshadow, blush, lip stick - people would think something big was going on, lol.

I live in Maine
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 04-08-2017, 06:11 AM

1. I wear it most days. Some days just a light foundation and a little mascara.

2. On days I wear full make up, I wear foundation, dark lavender eye shadow, liner on top lid, mascara on top lashes, blush, lipstick.

3. I don't wear makeup if working in the yard.

4. Yes, it seems most women in my area do wear makeup.

5. Texas
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Old 04-08-2017, 07:45 AM

Yes, but not a full face. My ride or die is concealer, eyebrow color, and mascara, but my preferred norm is usually foundation, concealer, powder, blush, bronzer, eyeliner, mascara, eyebrow color.

See above.

The gym, house cleaning day.

Yes. Women above the age of 50 often go natural arpund here.

California
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

fish2

Old 04-08-2017, 07:57 AM

No. I did when I was teaching, but now that I'm retired I don't. If I go out I'll wear a little, but not as much as I did before (no mascara, no eyeliner, no eye shadow)

Depends on where I'm going - out to lunch with the girls, a little Bare Minerals and some lipstick. Dinner out at a nicer restaurant I'll add some mascara.

I really don't notice unless they've gone overboard with it, some of the older snowbirds I've seen lately have - they look like they have a mask on, way too much for the Florida heat.

SW Florida
fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 04-08-2017, 07:57 AM

I wear makeup to school every day. On the weekends I wear it if I'm doing something like going out for dinner etc. otherwise I don't.

I wear concealer, foundation, under eye stuff, and blush. I don't wear eye makeup because my eye doctor said it would be best if I didn't.

I would say about half the people I see wear makeup.

Phoenix area
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 04-08-2017, 08:06 AM

Thanks to the wonderful people here on PT, I'm a BareMinerals gal and have been since 2007. I use the primer and the foundation, "warmth," and mineral veil daily, along with mascara. In the summer I don't wear the foundation as often but need the mascara. I live in NE Ohio and haven't really noticed if others around here wear make-up. Most of the teachers I work with do.
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 04-08-2017, 10:01 AM

Do you wear makeup daily? Yes I do, weekdays to work

What do you wear (e.g., foundation, blush, eye makeup, etc.)? BB cream (tinted), a powder, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara and lipstick.

If you do wear makeup regularly, are there any events for which you routinely don't wear makeup? I usually don't wear make up when I am home on the weekends, if I am going to exercise. I will put make up on over the weekend if I am going out to dinner or something.

Do most people in your area wear makeup? Yes most do...natural look for most of my colleagues, but most do wear some make up.

Where do you live? (General area is fine of course!) Western Canada
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

make-up
Old 04-08-2017, 02:09 PM

What do you wear (e.g., foundation, blush, eye makeup, etc.)? eyeliner and lipstick

If you do wear makeup regularly, are there any events for which you routinely don't wear makeup?sleeping

Do most people in your area wear makeup? yes, but not heavy

Where do you live? (General area is fine of course!) south MS
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 04-08-2017, 02:58 PM

I guess I wear makeup daily.

I use a CC or a BB cream which is just a tinted moisturizer- I have dry skin and need to wear a moisturizer. If my skin looks shiny I add a little powder. Since I stared wearing glasses I now add mascara. I also always have ChapStick.

I trade the CC cream for sunscreen on weekends if I'm at the beach or doing something outside, skip the mascara, but always have ChapStick. If I have something fancy or want to dress up, I try to add eye-shadow and/or eye liner and maybe a tinted lip balm.

Most people I know wear minimal makeup or no makeup

I'm in Hawaii.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-08-2017, 05:04 PM

Yes, if I'm going somewhere.

All of it. My typical "face" is moisturizer, foundation bronzer, blush, powder, multiple eye shadow colors, brow color, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick.

I don't wear it hiking or for things that will make me sweat. I didn't wear it to the hardware store day. I was doing yard work and needed mulch.

Um, not really? Most of my friends do, but I don't notice it much in the general public.

Kentucky
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemenTchr

Old 04-08-2017, 06:08 PM

Do you wear makeup daily? When I go to work, yes. I'll also wear it if I'm going to a party that isn't made up mostly of my family. My face is naturally more red, almost like I'm a bit sunburned, it's probably a slight form of Rosecea.

What do you wear (e.g., foundation, blush, eye makeup, etc.)? Concealer, foundation, eye liner, eye shadow, mascara, powder, and a lip tint or chapstick

If you do wear makeup regularly, are there any events for which you routinely don't wear makeup? I don't wear it most weekends, even if we go out or to go shopping. Like I said only if I'm going to like a party or a special event, then I'll wear it.

Do most people in your area wear makeup? I haven't really noticed.[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]

Where do you live? (General area is fine of course!) Southern New Jersey
ElemenTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Old 04-09-2017, 03:13 PM

I would say most women in my area (NY on the border with NJ) do wear make up daily. Not everyone, of course. I do have some coworkers who do not wear any.

I wear it daily. I only leave home without it if I am exercising and it is early in the AM.

I wear foundation, powder, blush, eye liner and mascara, lip stick.
tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote