Help

First Grade

Advanced Student

>

Socks

Advanced Student
Old 05-02-2018, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who is quite advanced in both reading and math. He is also a pretty big behavior issue. I think finding a way to challenge him would really help some of his behavior issues. In math, we have some independent work time where I'd love to give him a mathy project of sorts to work on. He does not need to be practicing sums to 10. Does anyone have any ideas? We're working on 2D/3D shapes right now. We'll move onto time, place value, and adding and subtracting 2 digit numbers.

For reading, I plan to find a high interest, on level book for him and give him a project based on that.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

Amy L

Old 05-02-2018, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When my son was in lower elementary, he and two other kids had independent packets. The teacher would give them a mini-lesson while others were doing seat work, then they could work together on their things. Now, he's in advanced math classes, working up to 2 years ahead. It's a good system for us.

Do you have a gifted program or a resource in district to provide some ideas?
Amy L is offline   Reply With Quote

laketrout30

Creating ebooks . . .
Old 07-02-2018, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had a student last year that was very advanced compared to his classmates. I would have him work on a "special" writing project and he would then use the program bookcreator.com to turn the "special" writing into an ebook. He was able to give it pictures and change the font, and he loved every minute of it. Once he was done we emailed the book to his parents so he could read it to them that night. This worked so well and his writing got better and better.
laketrout30 is offline   Reply With Quote