Help

ARCHIVE

Tennis Balls on Chairs!!!

>

luvbug613

Tennis Balls on Chairs!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school is going to be putting tennis balls on chairs this year to eliminate some of the noise. We are going to be receiving these balls for free so we don't have to go out and purchase any.What I wanted to know is if anyone knows of a certain product or device that will cut these balls. I kind of don't want to just use a utility knife. Any websites or suggestions??
Thank you

luvbug613 is offline   Reply With Quote

Usetobe

Old 05-08-2008, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have seen them that you could order already cut, but the were kinda expensive. I had some friends that played on tennis teams and they would save me their used balls. They work great. They are a little hard to cut but not too bad.
Usetobe is offline   Reply With Quote

Judy24

Old 05-08-2008, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our school bought the little balls with slits already in them. They were about the same price as the tennis balls and much easier to put on.
Judy24 is offline   Reply With Quote

biyubelle

They're Wonderful!
Old 05-08-2008, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My children have desks w/ a side compartment for books and supplies and separate chairs. The noise of the chairs and desks moving back and forth was almost deafening at times. So at the beginning of the year I talked the plant manager and principal into investing in these balls. The ones we bought were pre-slit. I cannot begin to explain how much of a difference they have made. Not only has the noise abated by 95% but the floor looks great. It looks as good as the day it was waxed last August. No ugly drag marks.
biyubelle is offline   Reply With Quote

HappyHiker

Be careful!
Old 05-08-2008, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

On the same day that I fell at school and broke my leg another teacher sliced his thumb open and had to have stitches. He was cutting tennis balls for his chairs. Those are the only two injuries I'm aware of occuring at my school while I've worked there, and they happened within minutes of each other. Strange.

I personally won't bother with the tennis balls again. Many eventually spread open from wear and tear and won't stay on. Then they become little rolling objects to kick around in the floor, and it's just another question to have to answer fiftyleven times a week. I'd rather have the noise. Just thought I'd throw that in.

HappyHiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolynn

drill press
Old 05-08-2008, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You can drill them with a drill press. My neighbor did it for me and it was very quick!
Carolynn is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4k

I did mine
Old 05-08-2008, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This year I bought used tennis balls for my chairs and I love them.

I used a simple razor. I bought the kind that have only one edge and they cut really easily. You just have to be careful. Once you get it started a little you can just go into the balls and slide the razor across. I managed to do 120 balls without any injuries....and for me that is great...
teach4k is offline   Reply With Quote

cherylhobbs

Use them Now
Old 05-08-2008, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use the tennis balls on my chairs this year and loved them at the beginning of the year. However, by March they were wearing out and like one post said, they were falling off many chairs from wear and tear so be sure you have plenty of extras on hand to replace the ones that wear out and wallow out quickly.
Also, students will want to play with them if you are not careful. Just prepare for that event too if you have any ADHD children that can't help but touch things in your class.
cherylhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote

JRichard

Old 05-08-2008, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I used regular tennis balls and a utility knife to open them. I was careful and used a sawing motion to slowly cut them open. I didn't have any trouble, but would agree there has to be a safer way to do that.

I have not had any problems with my chairs at all this year. It has been great to have them on because I frequently go from individual work to groups and back again. The noise of 120 desk feet dragging on linoleum was horrible! Now, it's so soft I hardly even notice a change when they switch into groups.

The only issue I have with them is that they pick up dust bunnies and hair. You would not BELIEVE the amount of hair they pick up! When I have students stay for detention, that's one of the jobs I give them (to clean off the dust bunnies from the tennis balls). It's a good behavior motivator!!
JRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

heddyb65

Cutting
Old 05-09-2008, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We always use a carpet knife (available at any hardware store).

heddyb65 is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 05-09-2008, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I haven't done this but a teacher I work with swears that if you wash the balls first and put them in the clothes dryer they are easier to slit open. I gave up on tennis balls because so many of them seemed to get lost over time.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Ontteacher

Old 05-09-2008, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If I were you, I would cut them as soon as possible - well in advance of the start of school, as the rubber smell is very strong at first. You'll want your class to air out - especially if you or your students have allergies.
Ontteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

stormluvr

Mine have lasted
Old 05-10-2008, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

for 2 years! I have only had to replace 2 balls this year, but the majority have stayed on with no problems. (They do collect the dirt and hair - I love the idea of those with detentions cleaning them!)
I used a utility knife to cut them - make as small a slit as possible - I had to really wrench them on, but I think that is why they stayed on!
stormluvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Mango

knife
Old 05-10-2008, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I use a serrated knife and just saw one slit. Give the ball a good squeeze and put it over the leg. It's a little tight going the legs on but tends to stay on longer. I tried the utility knife but it seemed unsafe in my hands!
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-10-2008, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Forget the tennis balls!

I had the school purchase gray rubber balls especially for chair legs. They're quiet, keep the chairs from sliding around too much, and have a lifetime guarantee. They're great!

The teachers who purchased the tennis balls found that they get scroungy looking after awhile. These don't.

I'm not sure of the brand, but you can PM me for the information if you're interested. I can find out at work.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

de'anna

Tennis balls
Old 05-10-2008, 11:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I love the tennis balls on my chairs. They've been there for almost two years.
When the tennis balls fall off, my students place them on the ledge of the chalk board, and I put them back on the chairs after school. They know the procedure, so there's very little playing with the tennis balls.
de'anna is offline   Reply With Quote
fareeha

fareeha

need these
Old 05-29-2008, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Hello there,
I would like to buy these. please give me more info. thanks
Fareeha

caroleu

sources for preslit and/or gray balls
Old 05-29-2008, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I always thought these were expensive. Does anyone have a specific company or brand name so I can research these?

Another idea: ask for parent volunteers to cut them open. My friend did this at open house - had the balls in bags of 8 with instructions. Many people took them.

Tennis balls do come off and they do get grungy, but they keep the floors in better condition and they are quiet and FREE (used ones).
caroleu is offline   Reply With Quote
fareeha

fareeha

where do we get free tennis balls???
Old 05-29-2008, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Please let me know where do can i get free tennis balls???

stretchberry

felt pads on chairs
Old 05-29-2008, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Has anyone ever tried the commercially made felt pads on chairs?

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/...rackURL=nextag

These noise-reducing 3/16in thick pads are ideal for use on chairs, desks and tables in cafeterias, libraries, anywhere quiet is necessary. The 1-1/4in diameter pads fit most chair, desk or table feet. Made of 100% polyester/latex felt, they are long-lasting to withstand repeated movement and cleaning. The extra-strength adhesive backing bonds permanently. The pads also prevent surface scratching and marring. 100 beige noise reducers per pack. Surface Protector Type: Self-adhesive; Diameter: 1 1/4 in; Thickness: 3/16 in; Material(s): Polyester/Latex Felt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WDI-MAS88847-ZM.JPG (11.7 KB, 14 views)
stretchberry is offline   Reply With Quote