Magnolia Room

The kid who...

>

trying hard

trying hard

The kid who...
Old 08-15-2009, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am so excited to have ditched the "move your .." system. Of course, I am the only one on my team branching away from it. We have been in school 5 days and everything is going pretty well. We are building community everyday. I have read DWS and Teaching with Love and Logic. I have followed the blogs of those doing RC. I need some help and hope you will be my shining lights! Here are my questions.

What do I do with the kid who:

1. will not be still. She moves from one place to another, gets up for a tissue, gets up and pushes in someone else's chair, etc while I am teaching. I tried a special spot just for her, brainstorming how we could help, "Show me how we.." "Sit down."

2. interrupts non stop-other children and the teachers. I have tried reading My Mouth is a Volcano, sending him to his seat, having him share often, brainstorming ways to help.

3. makes noises while I am reading/teaching.

In the old days, they would have moved their card, missed some play time or recess and colored their daily square yellow.

Thanks for your help guys! I really want to be better!

eastfirst

Happygirl
Old 08-15-2009, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Check out the posts from Happygirl. They are not as specific, but may give you some guidance. They have helped me. I look forward to reading responses from the pros. Good luck!

KinderKim

Old 08-24-2009, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am in the sam eboat. i have always done the clip system but I have never really liked it. This is my first year doing logical consequences and I have similar behaviors to the kids in your class.

Lets hear some ideas guys!!!

maddydaddy

Awesome!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I too have adopted positive discipline approaches this year. I am looking for some books to read on the subject. Do you have any suggestions?

Snowflake12

me too!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Any suggestions out there?

Tea"cheer"

Old 09-09-2009, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would highly recommend Teaching with Love and Logic and Discipline without Stress, Punishments, or Rewards. I have never been comfortable with essentially bribing my students. The card system, as mentioned before, made me just feel yucky and it really was not effective. DWS has been my most recent "read" and I just love it! I love the use of questioning to help children realize that they are responsible for the choices they make. For example, when I had a few children chatting in the line today as we were preparing to leave our classroom, I asked, "If you would like to get to the cafeteria for milk break, what is the first thing you must do?" Seriously, just like that, they stopped. Plus, not only is it working in the classroom, I am using it at home with my DS as well!!