Help

Second Grade

Daily 5

>

liciaom

Daily 5
Old 11-19-2011, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been doing a Daily 5 with reading is there one out there for math as well? Ideas are welcomed. Thanks in advance

liciaom is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherinWA

Home Page
Old 11-20-2011, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I saw something on the home page under the active groups section that said Daily 5 Math.
You might find something there!
teacherinWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach2Inspire

Daily 3 Math
Old 11-20-2011, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have been doing this in my room but adapted it from the Sister's website. I use 3 choices in my room for math: Math by Myself, Math on Computers, and Math with Someone.

Math by Myself: I post the practice pages from their math books/journals on the board and this is what they work on. If they finish early, the top shelf of my math bookshelf has "By myself" games they can play - Task cards, math fact flashcards, tangram practice, etc.

Math by Myself: Throughout the year, I introduce math games that review the chapters we just previously finished so they can continue to practice. Students have a choice of 4-5 games to play with their partner but are not allowed to switch games during the round. They must play only that game the whole time.

Math on Computer - I have a folder filled with links to websites of math games online for additional practice.

I do only two rounds - one of their choices must be math by myself. So, on days where children meet with me - they may not get to play a "game" or go on the computers. I'm not sure two rounds is ideal - I'd like to do more but just don't have the time right now.

Hope that helps with some ideas!
Teach2Inspire is offline   Reply With Quote

ces

Need help finding "by myself" games
Old 11-23-2011, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Where do you get games that they can play by themselves? All of my games are partner games and I would really love some they can do independently.
ces is offline   Reply With Quote

liciaom

Old 11-24-2011, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

thank you so much for those ideas I will definately try and do some in my class. happy holidays.

liciaom is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach2Inspire

By myself games
Old 11-26-2011, 10:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I still need more as well, but I've tried to search online and get creative...here are some I use.

Roll and Solve: students roll two number cubes (beginning of the year I use one digit then move to two) and a die that has minus and plus signs on it. They have to write down tand number sentence and solve it in their notebook. Then they repeat to get a new number sentence.

Domino Train: students take dominoes and must either add or subtract the two sides and connect it with the answer. Continue the "train" in different directions if needed.

Memory match: I printed off fraction cards with matching answers, place value cards, ect. Students play by themselves to see how many matches they can find during the round.

Race the Clock- use number cards and a sand timer with different "tasks" - put the numbers in order from least to greatest, by twos, by fours, sort odd and even, ec.

Hope that gives you a few of them!
Teach2Inspire is offline   Reply With Quote