Help

Second Grade

Homework

>

teachntravel

Homework
Old 11-20-2011, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering what you assign for homework every night? This is my first year teaching and I am the only 2nd grade teacher at my school, so I have been going by the amount of work my supervising teacher assigned during my student teaching (which was also in 2nd grade). Every night the students are given a reading worksheet, spelling homework, and a math page. I am also required to send home a PM reader every night for the students to read. I found out that I was giving more homework than the 5th grade teacher and had some parents making comments about it being too much. I would assign less, but I know most of them are doing extra work anyway. I work at an International School in the Philippines and most of my students have private tutors. At the beginning of the year, parents photocopied pages from the textbooks for their children to work on with their tutors. I'd rather my students work at home on things we have already learned and not on material we have yet to cover, but I don't want it becoming too much. I feel stuck! Any suggestions for how to solve this issue? Thank!

teachntravel is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsDriver

MrsDriver

Well...
Old 11-21-2011, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach in the U.S. and I give my kids a reading worksheet, a phonics worksheet, a handwriting worksheet, and a math worksheet. They also have to read for 30 minutes and practice their spelling words.

2ndGradeMama

20 mins a night
Old 11-21-2011, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach in the US. I give my students 20 mins of homework nightly and 15 mins is nightly reading...

Mon-Spelling Sort
Tue-Math worksheet
Wed-Reading Passage, Spelling Choice
Th-Math Worksheet
2ndGradeMama is offline   Reply With Quote

liciaom

Old 11-25-2011, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have given them a spelling page with writing the word 5x's and use in a sentence. Usually a reading page- whatever comprehension you are working on. Math page again whatever you are working on. They also are supposed to read at least 20 minutes a night. Also a grammar page to whatever you are working on. I do this throughout the week and have now placed a writing sheet in as well. I give it on Monday for them to return on Friday. However, I have made it so my parents can acess it during the weekend because some parents don't work and this time they can devote to their child. Parents have loved it and download it cuts on paper and your copies.
liciaom is offline   Reply With Quote

teachntravel

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for your feedback. Now I don't feel so bad for the amount of work I was giving!

teachntravel is offline   Reply With Quote