Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Am I the only one?

>

Sue too

Am I the only one?
Old 06-30-2012, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Am I the only one who is trying to survive this heat without air conditioning? I have a few rooms with ceiling fans and of course I have the only bedroom without a ceiling fan! Last night was so hard because my husky wants to sleep in the same room with me. I kept telling him to just go downstairs where it was cooler. I finally got up and came down here so he would follow me, but I couldn't fall asleep in either the library or living room. My basement is nice and cool but has bad air so he won't stay down there. They keep saying chance of thunderstorms - I wish it would just happen already!

I ♥ cats

Old 06-30-2012, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Where do you live? I could NOT survive the summer heat and humidity without AC, but I've lived in the south all my life. The heat index here yesterday was something like 110 degrees!

Stephanie K

I don't know
Old 06-30-2012, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

how you do it. I couldn't live without my AC and ceiling fans and tower fans. During this heat, I literally stay inside except to take my dogs outside to potty. I'm just looking forward to winter......absolutely HATE this heat!

sevenplus

Old 06-30-2012, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sometimes I make it a month or more into the summer without the a/c. This year I didn't even try. I turned it on as soon as it got warm.

bison06

Old 06-30-2012, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That would be nice but I live in Texas where it is over 100 daily with high humidity. I can't imagine being upstairs without a/c or a ceiling fan. I try to use the a/c as little as possible but DH is overweight and always wants it pretty cool. I'm pregnant this summer so it's the first time we haven't had thermostat wars.

read2day

Old 06-30-2012, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Can you escape to a library or movie or a mall? At least that would give you relief during the day.

eliza4one

Old 06-30-2012, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We don't have AC. (Colorado)

I am cheap, so even if we had it, I wouldn't run it. We live out in the boonies (town of 1,000), so at night, we use window fans and it cools down the house quite well! Then I shut up the house during the day. It helps, but still gets hot by 4:00.

Sue too

air conditioning
Old 06-30-2012, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I live in PA but believe me it is hot here! I thought about heading out to dollar tree yesterday but I feel guilty about my dog stuck in the house in the heat. I only left the house to walk him. We both felt worse after the walk but he feels neglected when I keep promising to go later. Today I will have to go to the food store (which is freezing) at some point. The sad thing is I have 2 old window units in the attic but I don't know how to safely put them in the windows myself. I could probably get my brother to drive an hour to put them in for me, but in a few months I will want them out and they will be too heavy for me to take out. I can survive anything - hey we didn't have air conditioning when I was a kid! I just worry about my dog. I remember someone here saying that they got a pool for their dog, but at the groomers they told me if I tried to give him a bath it would take 3 days for him to dry. I am afraid that if I let him lay in a pool he will want to come in the house wet and I have hard wood floors. I cannot bear to keep him outside because he is so afraid of being stuck outside again like his last owner insisted upon. We will survive, I just don't want him having heat stoke. (Do dogs get that?)

Brooke S.

Florida Girl
Old 06-30-2012, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm a Florida girl so we run our AC year round. I think it was only not on for a week total this year. We had a very hot winter.

It gets stuffy in minutes without AC.

Hideeho

Old 06-30-2012, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm pretty sure dogs can get heat stroke, but not positive.

My DD and her family do not have AC, and the humidity if nothing else can make for some unbearable days. Add in the heat we're having now, and yes, it is miserable.

I went to DD's the other day, and it was pretty cool. Every window had the curtain or drape covering it. She wasn't using any lights. She was using fans. They have two ceiling fans. She closed off any rooms that opened up into the main part of the house.

Do you ever try ice cubes in your dog's water? I wish I could think of more things to help you. I don't do well in heat, so I definitely feel for you.

Lilbitkm

heat
Old 06-30-2012, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm in FL too... the air is on basically year round in my house as well.

Dogs can definitely get heat stroke. You could wet a bandana with cool water and put it around his neck. It will keep him a little bit cooler. We used to do it when we would take our dog hiking/camping.

Ice is a good idea. I make "ice licks" and homemade ice cream for my dog in the summer. She loves it.

Here a link to an ice lick: http://coldnosesmag.com/2012/02/02/f...ster-for-fido/

Sue too

Hideeho
Old 06-30-2012, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I do put ice in his water dish all day. I have most of the lights off too, ceiling fans on, windows closed until evening. I just noticed it is looking overcast out!

Sue too

Lilbitkm
Old 06-30-2012, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I checked out the link to the ice lick. It looked like fun, but I don't think my dog would like it. He is older and has no interest in toys of any sort. I wonder if this is a husky thing or if it came from his neglectful first owner who basically ignored him.

Can you share your recipe for homemade ice cream? Is it like the stuff we make with kids where you shake the ziploc bags of milk or cream with sugar and vanilla? Is it good for them or just tasty?

GraceKrispy

Old 06-30-2012, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've never lived in a house that had a/c. Well, wait, that's a lie. My current house has a system, but it's not hooked up or usable. So really, it's the same thing. No a/c. I don't need it here so much, but growing up in Chicagoland I really did (need it) in the summer. Those summers were miserable I feel for you.

Tchn4fun

Old 06-30-2012, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

You could come to BC - summer hasn't arrived yet (today it's 63 and drizzly). We actually don't even own an A/C - it doesn't get hot enough for long enough to warrant having one. We've had a very long, cool, rainy spring! But still, Vancouver is a great place to be!

MrsCroak

Old 06-30-2012, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

i'm in PA, too, and I'm sitting in front of the window unit wishing we had central A/C.

We had storms last night, but that's not preventing the 95 degree temps.

If I were in your shoes, I would buy a small window a/c and put it in a small room and keep that door shut. Go in there for some respite. Your dog could use a cool down. Does he like the hose?

NJ Teacher

Have AC but...
Old 06-30-2012, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I'm cheap, too. My windows are not energy efficient, and it takes a lot of AC to cool down my place because I have southern exposure. I have fans in the house and I use those, and they generally are fine. When I get to the point though, where I can't sleep, I do break down and use it. Another potential problem is that my AC central condenser unit is over 20 years old, and most people in my development have had to replace theirs. It costs thousands, and even if I bought it over 2 years from the power company, it is not in the budget right now. So, I use my pool and if I'm in the car, it's AC there. For my dog, I bought a cooling collar and a cooling mat for her crate. The cooling color either uses ice cubes or they sold it with a gel insert that you freeze like you would blue ice from a cooler. The cooling mat is activated by her body weight and it doesn't need to be frozen or put in the fridge to work. It lasts a few hours, and re-activates itself. If I lived in the deep south, I'd probably have to break down and use the AC, but up here, I've gotten used to not using it. I don't want those high energy bills right now.

Sue too

Mrs. Croak
Old 06-30-2012, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I am embarressed to tell you I don't know if he likes the hose. I have only ever taken him to the groomers and his fur seems almost self cleaning. I could try to hose him off but I am afraid he won't dry and will ruin the hard wood floors (that are from 1930 so they don't have a good protective finish on them.)

I thought about buying a windowless air conditioner but then I saw a picture in an ad and it showed it being vented outside almost with a dryer type of tube. My windows are fairly new so I don't want to make a hole in any of them. There is a slight breeze right now so I opened a few windows and he is sitting in front of the one in front of his window seat.

TeachBakeShop

Old 06-30-2012, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I live in PA, too, and I don't know how you're doing it. We don't have central air, but DH put a window unit in our bedroom and dining room. We have also used window fans, and those cool the house down nicely. You can get them cheaply at Wal-Mart or Target.

Sue too

NJ Teacher
Old 06-30-2012, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I will have to check out the cooling collar and cooling mat. Where did you buy them?

Sue too

TeachBakeShop
Old 06-30-2012, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I think that is a great idea! A window fan would be enough to keep me happy. Hopefully my dog will like it to.

HiHoCherryO

Air
Old 06-30-2012, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Consider having your bro put in one of the units. Even if you just have it in one small room you and your dog could get some relief. Even if you have to remove it in a few months it seems worth it. Stay cool.

chalkdusty

Old 06-30-2012, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I grew up in PA in a home that was constructed of brick. We did not have any air conditioning. Dad ran a window fan at night in the living room with the air pushing out that window and drawing the air through the house. All I remember is being hot, miserable, and waking up each morning feeling damp and having a sore throat. During the day the house was closed up and we stayed in the basement family room to escape the heat.

Now I live in MO and there is absolutely NO way I'm going without my AC. I'll do without food, before I'd cut the AC off! It is 102 here right now. It has been hot like this (or higher) the past few days and is forecasted to continue for at least the next week. No rain in the foreseeable future. It is REALLY dry 'round these parts.

If I were you, I'd ask my brother to install one of the AC units that you have so that you have one room that is comfortable. It is really a matter of health for you and your pet.

1956BD

I'm in Texas
Old 06-30-2012, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

and have to have air conditioning to breathe with my asthma. I feel for those of you without it during this heat wave.

Once when my air was broken I learned to take my shower and wash my hair right before bed time. Going to bed with your hair wet really helps to keep you cool. It does not do much for your hair though!

senseigold

Old 06-30-2012, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Try filling a bowl with ice and aiming a fan at the ice. I used to do that in my classroom when the ac was down

Sue too

senseigold
Old 06-30-2012, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I have never tried blowing a fan at a bowl of ice. Is that something I would only do in the kitchen on the tile floor? I could try that! Of course I am embarressed to admit that I am still in my PJ's because they are smaller and cooler than any of my regular clothes, so I haven't actually gone and bought a fan yet. I guess it is time to get off of PT, take my shower, and head out to the store. Thank you everyone for your advice!

aggiegirl75

As far as the dog goes,
Old 06-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

have you thought about shaving his coat for the summer? It will grow back in time for winter, and lots of people I know who have thick-coated dogs do this in the summer. I am sure it would help him feel better! Just a thought.

WhooGirl

Old 06-30-2012, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Keep a large bowl of water in the refridgerator with a capful of Dr. Tichenors's mouthwash in the water. Put a kitchen towel in the water, wring it out, and put it around your neck. Really cools you off. We did this for the soccer team when my son was small. You could put one around your dog too. Just rewet it when it loses its cool.

Lilbitkm

Ice Cream
Old 06-30-2012, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Here are links to two different ice creams I make for my dog:

http://www.dogtreatkitchen.com/dog-i...am-recipe.html

http://www.dogtipper.com/recipes/201...am-recipe.html

They are both really simple to make and my dog (border collie mix) loves them! The first one has pumpkin so it's also really good for their digestion and the peanut butter in the second one is really good for their coats.

My vet always said not to hose her down when its really hot because it drops their body temperature too quickly and recommended the wet bandana instead.

audriana

Old 06-30-2012, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

We didn't use AC in our house in VT -- we didn't really need it. I couldn't survive without it down here in SE Virginia. We spent all afternoon on the water today to beat the heat.

I never had AC growing up though. I still remember how miserable it was trying to sleep on those hot summer nights.

grav_def

Old 06-30-2012, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I was wondering about that when I read the thread about what everyone's temperature was. I've never in my life lived in a house with central a/c, though I've had window units in a few places. They only got turned on a few times a year, though, because whoever was paying the bill (whether it was my parents, or me on my own) wanted to keep it as low as possible!

2 or 3 summers ago it hit 108 a couple of times. I had no a/c, no window units, no nothing. It was horrible! There was one day I felt so sick that I just went to the library and sat for a couple of hours. Since you don't want to do something like that because of the dog, could you bring him along? They'd let the two of you hang out and cool down someplace like PetCo, wouldn't they?

Stay cool!