Help

National Board Certification

Component 2 work samples

>

hatchma

Component 2 work samples
Old 09-22-2019, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in the think of Component 2. I have a question about work samples. I am a counselor and conducting a small group on anxiety. Would just a journal entry be enough? HELP!!!

hatchma is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 09-22-2019, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not familiar with this cert...what do the directions ask for?
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyHello

Old 09-26-2019, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are pages and pages of instructions you need to read in your C2 instructions. I only looked for a couple of minutes, but the requirements for C2 for counselors regarding student work samples are every bit as rigorous and multi-faceted as anything I saw for ELA AYA, which is my area.

It looks like journal entries are one option, but also "worksheets, journal entries, student surveys, artwork, photographs of craft work, original skit scripts..."

This is what the instructions say for analysis of student work samples in the written commentary for C2. Will the activities and resulting journal entries you're thinking of doing with your students give you enough to write 4 pages of detailed commentary covering these questions?

Quote:
 What was the assignment that prompted the completion of the student work? Describe the assignment thoroughly and how it connects to the small-group sessions.
 What pattern, if any, is evident in these student work samples? If there is a pattern, how is the pattern connected to the critical student need you identified? If there is no pattern, why do you think that might be?
 How did the small-group assignment connect to the group goals and student competencies?
 How do the three student work samples inform your understanding of the needs of these specific students and the other students in the group? What about the work samples was outside your expectations?
 What aspects of the structured activity, and specifically of the student work, provided you with information regarding your future work with these students?
Again, you really need to look at your C2 instructions. Good luck!
WhyHello is online now   Reply With Quote

hatchma

Old 09-27-2019, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much WHyhello for responding.

I think that is my concern. I plan on doing student survey, and have them pick between artwork, journal entry, or skit script. With that being said, am I going to be able to write 4 pages about this...

Thanks again for your response.
hatchma is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyHello

Old 09-27-2019, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think it's safe to say that if you design and implement worthwhile activities, you'll have no problem getting up to 4 pages for that one part of the written commentary. Remember, that's just one part of the WC.

Look through the threads on here, and you'll see a LOT of threads where people need advice on how to make their WC more concise.

Again, good luck!

WhyHello is online now   Reply With Quote