Retired Teachers

Working Part Time After Retirement

>

Rathgar

Working Part Time After Retirement
Old 09-19-2019, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a public school speech therapist.
I would like to retire soon (25 years in now). However, I would like to work part time in a school - possibly through a contract agency.

I am in NJ and I have read there is a 180 day rule that stops you from returning for six months.

Can any NJ retirees help me with this? Anyone on here considered something similar and how did it work out?

Thanks

Rathgar is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

Not from NJ
Old 09-19-2019, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but I've heard of speech therapists who contract with hospitals to work with patients.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

From NJ
Old 09-20-2019, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know that to work in your home district, the 180 day rule applies. I think it is for all public schools as well, but I would check with MBOS to be sure. It does not apply to private schools or out-of-state jobs, so if you are close to NY or PA, you could work there. Also, if you are old enough to collect social security, they cap your earned income till you reach your full social security age. I think it’s around $15,000. When you are ready to retire, I would make an appointment in Trenton. They will be able to address all your questions correctly.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I remember being told
Old 09-20-2019, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

that after I retired from public school I could not work in any public school in NJ for 180 days. I was told that I could not even volunteer during that 180 days.
I could work as an assistant only because our assistants were hired by the school from a private company and not by the government or by the public school.
I will admit that I went by what I was told, by representatives for the pension, my union and other retired teachers. I did not do due diligence and read it myself.

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/pen...ets/fact86.pdf
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Work
Old 09-20-2019, 10:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our District was unable to find a replacement SLP when ours retired 3 years ago. The district ended up contracting w our local hospital for SLP services. The hospital, in turn, hired our “retired” SLP, and she was who serviced the school! She did not violate her state retirement as she was working for the hospital not the district. They have her and a newer gal sharing the work now, so my friend is happy working as much as she wants.

She is also happy to be finally earning the money she is worth! Our district woefully underpaid her.

Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsRetired

I retired when I got my 85
Old 09-29-2019, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

and went to work as a teacher's aid. I moved so I changed districts. I helped the teachers by having enrichment or remediation groups in reading and math. What was great about this was I already had the skill set required. I know there are speech paras in my school now, so that would be a job you could slide into.School's appreciate having someone with your expertise. None of the paper work , just working with the kids and then leaving when they did. And still summers off, no inservice or extra teacher meetings. I am in KS and did have to wait 60 days. I am in my 9th year.
MrsRetired is offline   Reply With Quote