Help

Retired Teachers

Not me ... really

>

LaFish

Not me ... really
Old 10-06-2019, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Yes, a friend will be having knee replacement surgery soon. Have you had knee replacement surgery? How long was your recovery? Any problems?
Another friend may soon be on Actonel. She was telling us about the possible side effects. Have you taken this meds before? Did you have any side effects?
I did a general google search on knee replacement and Actonel but would like to hear about personal experiences.

Background story: All of three of us recently retired and get together for lunch every couple of weeks. We are about an hour or two away from each other. Do you think my knee replacement friend will be up and around after 6-8 weeks? My other friend is currently taking calcium and vitamin D. She is not exercising daily but does try. She had a bone density test a couple of years ago and will need to do another bone density test in a few months. Her doctor, according to her, mentioned this med.

TIA

LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

knee replacement
Old 10-06-2019, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had knee replacement surgery, and I love my new knee. Everyone and every knee is different. It's a physically tough surgery, and recovery and physical therapy require plenty of time, effort, and positive attitude. For various reasons, some do better than others.

Left knee people can usually drive within two weeks. Some will still be on a walker or cane for longer than that. Right knee people usually can't drive for 4-6 weeks because they need that knee for the gas and brake pedals. You also can't be on heavy pain meds. Some people have stiffer knees than others depending on the level of damage to the knee area before surgery, swelling, and individual differences. Some people recover quickly. Some take more time.

Recovery is tough, in large part, because you feel so vulnerable (and suddenly old!) and because you are kind of housebound for a time. PT is tough but at least you're out of the house! Take your friend out to lunch. She can manage if she's going out for PT.

I went back to my volunteer job which requires about 4 hours of pretty much non-stop walking at 8 weeks. I was tired at the end of the day, but the walking was good for me. By three months, I was feeling much stronger. My new knee could go to the beach, walk the tourist spots of Charleston, play with my grandkids, and go up and down stairs like a grown-up again. I positively glide-well, almost.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

supplements
Old 10-06-2019, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
My other friend is currently taking calcium and vitamin D.
This is probably not what your friend would like to hear, but taking a calcium supplement will not prevent bone fractures. Instead, it increases the risk of heart attacks and strokes. She would be better off getting her calcium from foods. Besides vitamin D supplementation she should have more sun exposure, ideally 15-20 minutes around midday.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Knee replacement
Old 10-06-2019, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My teacher friend, in her early 70's, had her knee replaced July 31st. She is back to driving, and will be joining our retired teachers group for our monthly lunch next week. As far as I know, she has had no complications.

My optometrist, who is in his 60's, had his knee replaced. I never would have known it, but it came up during my appointment. He was about 6 weeks out, no complications, and hoped to eventually return to playing tennis again. He was in better physical shape than my friend, but both are continuing to do well as far as I know.

I have had no experience with Actonel, so I can't help you there.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

knee replacement
Old 10-06-2019, 10:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Haven't had one but my orthopedist and physical therapist both believe PT before hand can help speed up recovery. My mom had hers done in late May and had dancing at her granddaughter's wedding in August as her goal for recovery. That was like 30 years ago.

mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

knee replacement
Old 10-07-2019, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had my left knee replaced six years ago. Serious complications during recovery due to undiagnosed severe sleep apnea which interfered with the pain medication given directly after surgery. Then, since they were busy saving my life for about a month, not much was done about physical therapy, so the scar tissue had to be worked over when I finally awoke from a coma and started PT. That wasn't pleasant.

But, I'm fine now. There is zero pain in that knee. And I'm too chicken to go and get the right knee done, so I deal with the pain. CBD oil has helped tremendously with that to where I really don't feel much pain there anymore.

I use a cane because I'm nervous about falling. And it's a cute cane, navy blue with bright pink flowers.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Thank you
Old 10-07-2019, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I appreciate everyone’s input. Keep the comments coming.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Knee replacements i
Old 10-08-2019, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had both done at same time in April (6 years ago) and returned to teaching first grade that Sept. I spent summer doing PT. My dr wanted me to walk 2 miles a day, which I couldn’t find time to do. Should have done more than I did. But still glad I had it done.

Most people do well after 6-8 weeks and certainly can drive and walk pretty good. Your friend should be fine.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote