Help

Magnolia Room

Rules before you've decided as a class

>

TrueTeach

Rules before you've decided as a class
Old 05-18-2008, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'll be teaching kindergarten next year (moving from first), and I'm planning on following the Responsive Classroom approach. Obviously, the process of making rules together takes more than just one day, so I want to know how to create a safe classroom with clear expectations from that first day and yet still generate rules together over time. Thanks for the help!

AddieJ...I remember you saying that you have temporary rules that first day and week. Please explain this again! Thanks!

Last edited by TrueTeach; 05-18-2008 at 02:26 PM..
Adaya
Old 05-18-2008, 03:26 PM
This message has been deleted by Adaya.

AddieJ

our first day rules...
Old 05-19-2008, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One of the very first things we do on the first day is discuss our classroom rules. I tell the students that at school, everyone has a job -a student's job is to listen & learn and the teacher's job is to keep everyone safe and to teach. In order for us to get our jobs done, we need to follow certain rules. Then we discuss why we have to follow rules and I give a few scenerios such as what if everyone could just start talking whenever they wanted - would we be able to hear what people have to say? I then introduce my basic classroom rules and tell the students that later this week we'll be using these rules to create our own set of rules that are special just for us.

All my basics start with the statement "I Will..." It keeps them positive and gets the children into the right language for creating our rules as a group. For example, rule 1 is I will listen the first time. When we made our own list of rules as a class, the children decided to change that rule to say, "I will listen so I can learn and be smart." Rule 2 is I will treat others with kindness. The children changed that to say, "I will be nice to my friends (in both words and actions.)"

We only have five rules and all are stated in the positive. I try to keep the rules specific and guide the children to state the things that are most important to us (such as raising hands, waiting turns, being nice...) We do discuss things/behaviors that fall under certain rules (but it's nice to just state a rule & children know what that looks like, feels like, sounds like, etc.)

Later on (usually the beg of Oct - after we've had time to practice the rules) we revisit our rules and see if they are working for us and we create our "Rule 1 Looks Like...Sounds Like...Feels Like..." posters. Ex. Rule #1 Looks like: children sitting criss-cross, eyes on the speaker, hands in laps. Sounds like: children are quiet, teacher is teaching, children are asking questions & repeating back information. Feels like: brains are getting smarter, everyone's voice is heard, everyone feels important.

Last edited by AddieJ; 05-19-2008 at 08:28 AM..

TrueTeach

More info, please
Old 05-19-2008, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

So, do you have those five rules all set, and then you allow the children to change the wording? Or do you allow the class to change one or more of the rules entirely? What are your five rules?

Thanks!

AddieJ

classroom expectations
Old 05-20-2008, 02:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The rules are not set - they can definately be changed & adapted to our group. They're just there to get us all on the same page as to what's acceptable behavior & what's not for the first few days. I purposely word them positively so that the children will use the same language when we come up with our own class rules. On the first day, after our discussion of why we need rules I let the children brainstorm a list of possible classroom rules that they think we should have (even if they say "no fighting" I write it down like that and it's revised later.) Then we put that list aside until after we do our hopes and dreams. After H&Ds are done, we have the right framework to finish our official list of rules. We'll look at the brainstormed list, determine which are the most important in order to help us achieve our h&ds and add to or subract from the list as needed. We'll agree on the five most important and the kids will help me word them - starting each statement with "I Will..."

The five I start with are: 1) I will listen the first time. 2) I will treat people and materials with kindness. 3.) I will keep my hands to myself. 4.) I will raise my hand and take turns talking. 5.) I will have a good attitude.

Others probably have more examples of classroom rules but I found these to be important in our class. The rules the children came up with have all these concepts in them, but just worded in language the children use.

TrueTeach

Thanks
Old 05-21-2008, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the info, AddieJ. I'm sure it will help me be prepared for next school year. And I'm trying to start now because I am on a "year-round" calendar, which means we start the new year the last week in July! Yikes, that's only two months away!!