Help

First Grade

Help with Organization...

>

rusty

Help with Organization...
Old 06-30-2011, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am so discouraged. Now that I'm home, I spent three days sorting all my professional development and resource books and taking everything off my bookshelves. Now I went to put them back up in an orderly fashion...all the writing books together, all the science books, etc. and what happens? The bookcase collapsed! Top shelf fell and broke the next shelf and that broke the next shelf and all the books are sitting on the floor in a mess! What do you all do with your resource books? I weeded out the ones I don't want....and gave them away but I still have tons. The ones I kept I feel I can still use.... back to sorting now....any suggestions?

rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

sweetpea26

Old 06-30-2011, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Rusty, I did the same thing this year. I began sorting through all my prof books and found that I still had tons left. So, I decided to toss or put in the teacher lounge anything that I had not opened up, looked at, or used in the last year. I found that the books I turned away were mostly the ones that I had not used at all or ones that were given to me by other teachers. I must admit, I feel much better now when I go into my workroom and it doesn't take me forever to find it. Good luck!
sweetpea26 is offline   Reply With Quote

NTXShockers

Organization
Old 06-30-2011, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Rusty,
You need to look at Debbie Diller's book "Spaces and Places"! It is awesome-filled with colored pictures and great ideas! Hope this helps...
NTXShockers is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHopeful

Old 06-30-2011, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

SIMILAR to a PP, Our staff room has a relatively small library of teacher books. We just put a label on the spine and inside cover that, in large letters, says "STAFF" so there aren't any stealers :P It is REALLY helpful. We have general ones and grade-specific ones. They aren't organized at all, but it is small enough at this point where we can quickly browse and find what we're looking for. If you're wanting to get rid of the books without completely severing yourself, flip through, make a quick copy of everything you'd use or take a note, and then possibly suggest a staff-room resource bin or give them to a newbie teacher?
MissHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote

HailGail

Another book
Old 06-30-2011, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love the suggestion of Debbie Diller's book---but isn't she trying to thin down her collection? Made me grin!

HailGail is offline   Reply With Quote

superseussfan

HailGail
Old 07-01-2011, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I thought the same thing about another book! I actually laughed out loud and my kids looked at me funny!
Maybe a metal book shelf would work?
superseussfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Evrmoi21

I use magazine boxes
Old 07-01-2011, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

and sort the books that are in each box by subject area. e.g., I have a Grade 1 math box, a Grade 2 math box, a math storybook box, writing, reading comp, phonics, holiday specific boxes etc. That way when you are looking for a specific idea you can just pull out the magazine box (I got mine at IKEA for about $4 for 6 a couple of year ago) and flip through it.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Prettysqueaky

Old 07-04-2011, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I keep mine in my home office. I gave away a lot of the workbooks to my students. The books I did have on the shelf at school I didn't use and I found that some people have sticky fingers so if I paid for it, I keep them at home. And they're organized by Four Blocks, Math, Writing, Phonics, Comprehension, Science, Environmental Education, and then I have my educational books...books from grad school and etc.
Prettysqueaky is offline   Reply With Quote