Retired Teachers

A most interesting day

>

EdfromBama

A most interesting day
Old 10-04-2019, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good afternoon to all-

This day started badly. Our dog, a Boston terrier who we raised from a small puppy and who has spent the last thirteen years sleeping with and on me and generally making our lives more interesting had to be put down.
It is not a good thing for anybody to witness someone who has been a friend suffer and cry out from pain, and not be able to do anything about it. We have tried medication, but life was not worth the pain for the small dog any more. I carried her into the vet's office. She was quivering and whimpering with the hurt.
We watched her go to sleep, and then we watched her go away. We were the last things on this Earth that she saw and smelled.

Sometimes the best thing to be done is not an easy thing to do.

We didn't want to go home, so we drove down towards the beach. We were silent. Sometimes there is nothing to be said.

We got hungry- I've come to notice that grief doesn't completely quell a growling stomach, so we stopped by a little seafood place and walked in.

As we entered the cafe, a young man stopped us at the door. He smiled and asked if I had been a teacher at the local high school, and of course I said, Yes, I was.
He smiled more broadly and said that he had been in one of my English classes and that he enjoyed the class and learned some things. He then said that he enjoyed reading my articles in the outdoor magazines I write for. He then held the door for us and got in his truck and drove off.

Sometimes just the right thing happens at the right time to make things seem better. Not great, not even good, but better.

Good evening to all- Ed

EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 10-04-2019, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

So sorry about the loss of your sweet dog....I know it was a hard task, but necessary. May your grief be tempered by more and more experiences like meeting your former student. I hope it will get easier as time passes.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I am so sorry for your loss
Old 10-04-2019, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

a pet always seems to take a piece of your heart with them when they go.

My grandparents always owned Boston terriers. They are quite remarkable and quirky little spit fires. I remember best their dog Tillie. She knew so many little tricks. She would even sneeze on command. And she was not bashful about chasing any other dog out of HER yard. Didn't matter how big they were. My great uncle and grandparents had a hard time once she passed. She, like your little one, was their constant companion and their joy.

I hope that you find peace after her passing.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

My Condolences
Old 10-04-2019, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 10-04-2019, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Iím sorry about the loss of your beloved pet. Thank you for reminding me that there are things in our days that make our lives just a little bit better.

hand is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 10-04-2019, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our pets bring us such joy and comfort. We are on our ninth Wire Fox Terrier. All but three were rescue dogs. With each time one passed on, it didn't get any easier. Terriers are such a stoic breed. They are great at hiding pain from us. I'll be thinking of you in the coming days. Remember the grand times you had together and the wonderful words in the Rainbow Bridge poem. Take care friend and carry on like a true terrier.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

your day
Old 10-04-2019, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved dog.
And glad that your day included such a positive meeting. Wish all teachers could have that experience!
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 10-04-2019, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Making that decision is so absolutely difficult, but there is some comfort in knowing that as went to sleep she was bathed in your love. Thinking of you!
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

My sincere condolences
Old 10-04-2019, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It's so hard to say goodbye, and it never gets any easier. Our pets are true innocents who give us so much and ask so little. I'm sure your little terrier knew she was loved all the way to the end.
How wonderful that you had a lovely encounter later in the day to cheer you up and remind you of the many lives you have touched.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 10-04-2019, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Iím sorry. I understand how that feels.

blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 10-05-2019, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am so very sorry about your dog, Ed.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Very sorry, Ed...
Old 10-05-2019, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Sometimes, the right thing is the unselfish thing. Never easy, but may your memories of your dog and the love she gave you bring you some comfort on this sad day.

So glad your former student happened along and made the day a little brighter. How nice to be remembered by him for past times and for the articles you are writing now. Your influence continues...

Thank you for sharing and wishing you some measure of comfort and peace in your memories of your beloved dog.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

letting go
Old 10-05-2019, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

It's a sad time for you and your wife, and a peaceful and painfree time for your little girl. But most importantly, how fortunate you all were to have known and loved each other.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

FlyfishGuy

Old 10-05-2019, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Very sorry to hear this , Ed. Can't say I know how you feel but I know how I've felt each time I've experienced the same situation. I've come to believe this final decision we sometimes have to make is the final act of love and responsibility we can give to our pet. We give our animals the best life we can and in return they help make our lives better.

When you are up to it would you pm me please?
FlyfishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

DSLBUG

Old 10-06-2019, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Iím sorry for the loss of your sweet dog. It is never easy.
DSLBUG is online now   Reply With Quote

1982Teacher

So sorry
Old 10-07-2019, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am so sorry about your sweet dog. It is not an easy decision, but necessary for the dog. May your memories be wonderful.
1982Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote