Help

Bluebonnet Room

Reading level assessment

>

Schlteacher

Reading level assessment
Old 07-12-2011, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Looks like I will be teaching K-3 Reading / Language Arts for part of the day next school year. I am at a tiny private school with little to no budget money for testing programs. I'm wondering, does anyone know of a simple / cheap way to assess students' reading levels? I can get a general idea by having them read for me, but I'm looking for something that would give me a specific number or letter to go by.

I've been thinking about subscribing to Reading A-Z - would that be a good option?

Thanks!

trishg1

Old 07-12-2011, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I talked my small private school into buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/BASIC-READING-.../dp/0757518427

I understand that you can download DIBELS resources for free- not sure what that will get you. google dibels and you'll get to the site.

There are some inexpensive Dr. Fry's books on the teachercreated.com website- many are also ebooks. I've used those as well.

Roadrunner22

Some options to consider
Old 07-20-2011, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I went for my reading certification, we used Flynt and Cooter assessment book. My undergrad program used the San Diego book. Both are full of blackline masters. If you wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes, you might want to look at the QRI V. That's my first choice for getting a "specific number." Good luck. We use the DRA. Great for K-1 and early second. You might look to donorchoose for funding this one.

Last edited by Roadrunner22; 07-21-2011 at 06:35 AM..

lucybrown

Assessment
Old 07-20-2011, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The least expensive assessment that I can think of (other than just taking a Running Record from a graded book) is published by Scholastic. I believe that it's Three Minute Reading Assessments. You can at least get a grade level from it. It doesn't help if you need the specific book levels (numbers, Fountas & Pinnell, DRA). I would set aside a set of titles from the K-2 guided reading books and use them for testing only to get specific levels for the younger grades.

hrbernard

Old 07-25-2011, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I LOVE Reading A-Z! Our school purchased a subscription to them last January and I have used their books and resources for lots of different things. It is pricey, but worth it.