Help

Bluebonnet Room

The writing road to reading

>

ojitos

The writing road to reading
Old 03-12-2012, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm interested in learning more about "The Writing Road To Reading:The Spalding Method for Teaching Speech, Spelling, Writing, and Reading. By Romalda Bishop Spalding. I'm thinking about buying the book. Any suggestions, thoughts about this? Any thing?

Phonicsteach

Phonicsteach

Old 03-14-2012, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am familiar with the Spalding method. It is a very powerful method of teaching spelling and reading. Before you make a decision on it, I recommend investigating logic of English by Denise Eide. Her book Uncovering the Logic of English is excellent and easy to understand. She also has helpful videos and information on her web site.

ojitos

Thank you
Old 03-14-2012, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

for answering. I will do just that.

MrsBea

I Love Spalding
Old 05-04-2012, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I took a Spalding course many years back. My own children's school use it in first grade. I love the spalding method. The problem is that the curriculum is very rigid and there really isn't a lot of wiggle room. In order to do it her way, you really have to do the whole routine.

I do suggest buying the book though. It is a great resource for learning how to think about and teach phonics. I have read through the book on several occasions. And I do use the phonograms regularly when teaching within my basal's phonics lessons.

By the way, there is a Spalding group here on ProTeacher. Look for it in the groups section.