Help

Substitute Teachers

Had to take mandated reporter training twice

>

Sirsubalot

Had to take mandated reporter training twice
Old 10-08-2019, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I hate procrastinating, so when one of my districts said that we can begin taking the mandated reporter training after June 1, I took it on June 4, and sent a copy of the certificate to my three districts. That darn training took over three hours to hear all three parts.

Then yesterday, under aesop notifications. my largest district sent links to not only mandated reporter training, but also a blood pathogen training, and a discrimination and harassment training.
We had to complete all three.

I took the two other tests, but then wrote the secretary explaining that I already turned in the Mandated reporter certificate over the summer.

She said it had to be completed beginning July 1, meaning my certificate was too early for this district, so I had to do it again. What a pain in the bottom!

Fortunately it was a different version, so I only had to spend about 35 minutes instead of three hours.

The tests were provided by an outfit called BRIT instead of the state, and were hence much shorter.

Has anyone else done the shorter version through BRIT?
Has anyone else had to take a blood pathogen and a harassment and discrimination test also?

Last edited by Sirsubalot; 10-08-2019 at 06:51 PM..
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 10-08-2019, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hadn't heard of the blood pathogen test until you mentioned it. The mandated reporter training was very long this year and even though I sped through it as fast as I could, it took an hour. I took the harassment test last year and it went on and on, listing every type of harassment and discrimination possible.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 10-09-2019, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are required to do blood born pathogen every year. Mandated reporter ever other year.
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 10-09-2019, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I received a notification from ESS that mine had expired. The one I'm doing is much longer than it used to be. I'm about three hours into it and still not finished.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 10-09-2019, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have to do about ten videos and quizzes for two districts that don’t pay, but I can use certificates to cover the other. Only one pays me, but it was barely anything. I just skip the videos and take the quizzes. Total waste of time.

Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 10-09-2019, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The mandated reporter training that I have to do has a timer on each page. Some of them have videos or links to written material. You can't move on until the timer expires, which can be 10 or 15 minutes.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

Coloring book
Old 10-09-2019, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I sat and colored and completed crosswords while watching too many videos. It was better than sitting and listening to a live presenter.
knit1purl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Are you in Pennsylvania?
Old 10-11-2019, 01:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had to retake the mandated reporter training 6 months after I took it because it was revised to include information about “human trafficking and slavery.” This added content was about 15 minutes out of the close to 5 hours it took me to complete. A far better option would be to have a separate training on the new material. The online class is so boring that watching paint dry is hundreds of times more exciting.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 10-11-2019, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Never heard of any of this here in NJ. What state do you have these requirements?
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Limbo time
Old 10-11-2019, 10:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was informed we had to take Manadated Reporter each year. I took it, and each area you take and complete is turns from grey to black.
BUT... I found out if you move around then the program doesn't mark your correctly. Even if you finish.
It has been two weeks now and I have been stuck unable to take the exam or complete the course.
I am in touch with the techs there, but what? I keep restating the problem and they haven't figured it out yet. Deadline has pass and I can't do anything.
And they can't tell you if you are missing anything. The machine knows all and isn't telling anyone.

Limbo time

pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 10-12-2019, 03:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

If the deadline has passed, and your district(s) are still allowing you to sub, I would not stress it. I get the feeling you are putting more pressure on yourself to complete these online courses than your school districts. Here in NJ, we had to complete a 15 min segment on bullying several years back and never told again we had to do anything else.

dietcoke99

I have
Old 10-12-2019, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I've had to take a butt-load of these types of tests for some districts.
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 10-29-2019, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Every year I'd get notified about these tests and I'd actually just forget to take them and nothing ever happened. The district never offered to compensate me for my time but they expected me to just watch hours of videos and exams so I wasn't exactly in a rush to do it, and tbh my weekends were busy enough already.

I actually went and did it this year because I felt bad about neglecting it for four years, and wow what a massive waste of time. I guess it's good if you're an idiot who doesn't know that touching kids is a big no-no.
Aillya is online now   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 11-01-2019, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I just discovered that although the BRIT training is really an abbreviated version of the mandated reported training, that they are two separate entities and that we need both.

The district that accepted my mandated reporter certificate in June is now telling us we need to complete the BRIT training.

The district administrator told me " There must be some confusion, this is not the mandated reporter training and it must be completed every two years."

My PC does not have a program that allows me to send e-mails from PDF, so now I will need to buy more colored ink and print my original one, or I will need to take it again.

This is bogus red tape at its finest.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 11-01-2019, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Unless they are paying you, for YOUR TIME, then screw them! We are not slaves! Here in NJ where I sub, they are just happy that we show up. Time to take a stand.

bodhimom

Old 11-13-2019, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I wish we could be included in the teachers' unions, somehow. Some of this stuff is ridiculous. They do what they do because they can.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote