Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Challenger Final Flight

>

Claire

Challenger Final Flight
Old 09-20-2020, 01:59 PM

I just started the first episode. I was already fighting tears at the beginning watching the astronaut's families at the launch.

I was in 5th grade and remember it so well. It's crazy how it was such a different world in the 70's and early 80s when they started.

Last edited by Claire; 09-20-2020 at 02:20 PM..
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Challenger
Old 09-20-2020, 02:23 PM

The series is really good.

I was in 3rd grade and a teacher at my school had made it to a second round in the same search in which they picked Christa McAuliffe.

There was a lot I did not know or remember. I knew about the O-ring failure, but not that the issues were known beforehand and they went ahead with the launch.

I also did not know that McAuliffe's backup, Barbra Morgan, eventually went through the full astronaut training program and become an astronaut who was an educator and not just an educator in space.

It was also nice to see the excitement for the space program I remembered as a kid. It seems that most launches were televised up until that point.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 09-20-2020, 03:25 PM

My middle school PE coach/dance instructor/space science and aeronautics teacher made it to the second third round of selections for that flight. When we took space science and aeronautics in our elective rotation in seventh grade, she talked to us very frankly about the real people on that flight since we were too young to remember the actual flight and disaster.
Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote
guest2472

guest2472

Old 09-20-2020, 04:45 PM

I signed out for this, because this could easily give away my identity.

Within a year after Challenger, our family moved to a town near Morton Thiokol, where we met two of the whistle blowers who tried to stop NASA from sending Challenger up. They worked on developing the booster rockets and said, since the rockets had never been tested at that cold a temperature, they were afraid the O-rings would freeze and cause an explosion. They sat in their office and watched it on television, predicting exactly what happened. It caused them a great deal of pain and depression for the rest of their lives. The government didn't want to have a delay. Nasa should have listened to the engineers.

EllaKate

Old 09-20-2020, 05:11 PM

I want to watch this series!! I'm sure I'll be crying also.

EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 09-20-2020, 05:23 PM

Making me feel old! I was teaching fourth grade and we had our whole school in the auditorium watching the launch on a big screen. My class had to plan the school mass the next week. I remember singing Looking for Space (John denver).
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

I was
Old 09-20-2020, 05:27 PM

teaching preschool then, but we had the morning off because of a two hour delay. (Back then, AM prek was cancelled when there was a delay.) My dh and I were at the bowling alley on post when we heard. Such a tragic time.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-20-2020, 05:49 PM

We live just about an hour north of the Space Center. Our entire school was outside to watch it in the sky. I will never forget the brightness in the sky when it exploded and hearing the art teacher nearby say, OMG, something's wrong! Because of the freezing weather they even debated that morning about whether or not to go ahead. Now they cannot send up anything if the temp is less than 40 degrees.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 09-20-2020, 05:56 PM

I was teaching first grade here on the west coast and our school day hadn't started yet. I remember being really thankful we weren't watching and feeling bad for my fellow teachers in secondary and all around the country who were watching with their students. Such a tragedy.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 09-21-2020, 03:41 AM

Dh and I finished watching it last night. It is sad to remember the disaster. I was in college studying to be a teacher and we were all so excited that a teacher was going into space. I feel that it was done well and was very interesting. May they Rest In Peace.

mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Snow day
Old 09-21-2020, 08:53 AM

My school had a snow day so I was watching the launch on TV at home. The day before we discussed the upcoming event at lunch. All my coworkers said that they would have loved to be the teacher on this flight. I was the only one to say not me. I was too afraid.
SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote