Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Book Question

>

Peaches250

Book Question
Old 10-25-2020, 03:43 PM

My DD is reading a book called Unwind by Neal Shusterman. I read the cover and inside of the book. The topic did not thrill me, but I do not want to sensor material that she reads. Normally, I will read the books that she reads, but right now with school being so crazy and me being in Grad school, I do not have time to sit down and read this book. Has anyone by any chance read this book or are you familiar with it? I need a Cliff-note version of this book.

Just a side note before anyone Googles it...she is a very mature 14 year old. She has a great head on her shoulders and we discuss all topics she needs to discuss. We are very open. Her reading and comprehension is also at a college level. This is the first book that has made me uncomfortable. Crap....I am about to read a book that I do not have time to read and there are 3 more after this one!

Peaches250 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-25-2020, 03:56 PM

I've read that series as well as many others by that author. The Unwind series is a great series, but it does deal with some heavy concepts. I would be ok with a very mature 14yo reading it, but it would be better if you talked about the concepts together of course. You can see a description of the book (and most books) on Wikipedia.

My own kids have read some of the dystopian novels I have, but I think only my oldest read that one. She was probably about 14 or 15 at the time.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches250

Thank you!
Old 10-25-2020, 04:14 PM

It does seem pretty deep. Not sure why I did not think about Wikipedia! Thank you so much!
Peaches250 is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I actually enjoyed
Old 10-25-2020, 04:28 PM

"Unwind" although it was very dark. I did not like the sequels nearly as much. Would I let my children read it at 14? Probably. It's very thought provoking, though.

Spoilers ahead, for anyone who doesn't want to read it.

Basically, they have eliminated abortion in this society. No child may be aborted. However, once they become a teen, they are subject to "unwinding" at the parents request. Unwinding, just means that you're euthanized, and your body parts are shared out among those who might need it. Medical technology can harvest even your nervous system, and every little bit can be used to rejuvenate others.

The story revolved around three teens, all subject to unwinding for various reasons.

There's a boy who is the typical bratty teenager, and the parents decide he's too much trouble.

There's another boy who is the youngest child of a fundamentalist sect who "tithes" one of their children. This is considered an honor, and the boy is looking forward to his unwinding.

The third is a girl who is an orphan. Orphans must be outstanding in something. The average, ordinary chlld will be unwound. This particular girl is a gifted pianist, but stage fright causes her to flub her examination that will determine if she lives or dies.

A car accident on the way to be harvested sends them all in a flight for their lives, although the tithe boy doesn't want to be a part of it, he is forced along by the others. Helped on their way, by an underground network, and chased by an overzealous police officer, they eventually make it to a refuge for other runaways.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 10-25-2020, 04:28 PM

I always use common sense media to look up the appropriateness of books/tv/movies:

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/homepage

It say 13+:

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/boo...stology-book-1

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 10-25-2020, 04:44 PM

I read the first 1 or 2 in the series. It was dark enough that I chose not to read the third. It is bleak in a way The Hunger Games, for example, is not.
Starr is online now   Reply With Quote