Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Neighbors watching movies outside late at night

>

mommy9298

Neighbors watching movies outside late at night
Old 09-13-2020, 05:01 AM

My next door neighbors have an outdoor movie screen they set up in their yard. I live in the suburbs, but our houses are about 30 feet apart and my bedroom windows are facing their yard. It was fine in the summer, but they now have about 15 adults and kids every Saturday night to watch outdoor movies. The problem is that it’s getting to be later and later when they end movie night. It was 1:30 am last night when they packed up. A neighbor in the house behind them kept putting his outdoor light on and off, I guess to let them know it was enough. We hear the movie, the people laughing and talking, the kids run around and yell, and the movie flashes the light in our room. We are all back to work and need our sleep. I don’t want to start trouble, but if they get together next Saturday I plan on asking them to wrap it up by midnight. We aren’t close, but get along. I hope that works.

mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 09-13-2020, 05:12 AM

I would talk to them about the regularity of their outdoor movie nights. An occasional late night movie is one thing but every Saturday night is unacceptable.

Our next door neighbors have college girls who always have a late night outdoor party before they go back to school and when they come home. I can handle this occasionally but not more than that. We raised not perfect boys so I am not going to judge too harshly.

Talk to your neighbors first about how this is affecting you and others. Then take further action if they refuse to comply. Being good neighbors is reciprocal both ways.
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 09-13-2020, 05:25 AM

Is there a noise ordinance where you live? Most places have restrictions on noise after 10 pm or so. Report them.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 09-13-2020, 05:27 AM

Yes, report them! I really hate imposing, entitled people with zero consideration. So many people think just because they're on their property that they can do what they want, but others still HEAR and SEE them.

I live in an apt in a complex of about 420-440 units laid out in about 9-12 bldgs, I think. I couldn't have picked a better apt to live! I never had any problems, not even many of the problems that other renters here have had.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 09-13-2020, 05:33 AM

I would talk to them first , before reporting them.

They may not understand how their movies are affecting others. Since it is on a Saturday night, they may not feel they are bothering others work schedules.

We own our property and if we want to have others over that is our right. We have bon fires and some outdoor movies as well. Watching Jaws while you are floating on a float is fun! However, if we were disturbing others, we would adjust and we do keep our noise down after 10pm.

If they don't respond, then I would report them.

choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 09-13-2020, 05:58 AM

Yes, people have the right to have people over and use their yard. However, they don't have the right to interfere with other people's rights to be in their own home without hearing them. I think most people are tolerant of an occasional loud party, but not every Saturday night. Talk to them first, but that is really ridiculous to have that going on until the early hours of the morning.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-13-2020, 06:09 AM

I understand how you feel, but I also wonder if this is their response to Covid. Have they figured out a way to socialize safely? Are they truly taking precautions?

If yes, I’d talk with them gently requesting a more reasonable ending time. You might explain you go to work on Sunday mornings as, to me, that’s unusual and they may not know. I’d try to be understanding because we all need our friends, particularly in this terrible time.

If no, they’re socializing without precautions, I’d speak with them more firmly about your town’s noise regulations.

If they refuse to cooperate, I’d start calling the police.

Good luck!
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 09-13-2020, 07:26 AM

Personally I would talk to them before reporting them. It is a Saturday night and they probably don't think they are harming anyone.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Late night movie watching
Old 09-13-2020, 07:51 AM

If you are uncomfortable talking with them in person, you could drop off a nicely written note. “I am wondering if you are aware of how much noise carries after dark. Your movie nights have begun to interfere with several neighbors’ sleep and health. We/I am hoping you could reconsider the timing of your get together and bring it back indoors by 10:00 pm. (or whatever time feels reasonable.)“

It is important that you sign your name and indicate where you live in relation to their house. If you can get the other neighbor to sign with you or to write a separate letter, do so.

Yes, it’s passive/aggressive, but these days it might be safer to start this way.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Night movie
Old 09-13-2020, 08:09 AM

The other neighbor’s light might be on a motion sensor which could make it look like it’s going on and off.

They really should time things so that the movie and gathering is over or moved inside by 10.

KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 09-13-2020, 10:05 AM

What time is your noise ordinance? Here it is midnight on Saturday nights. If they go more than 10 minutes past quiet time again I would talk to them. I think expecting things to be shut off at ten on a Saturday is not reasonable. If they continue to violate quiet hour after you talk to them you could make a noise complaint.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 09-13-2020, 11:28 AM

My sister has started sending our neighbors “friendly texts” when she’s had enough of their late night parties....we have a sound ordinance past 10 here too(they can go til 1:30 as well).
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-13-2020, 12:04 PM

I think your idea of asking them to stop by midnight is pretty reasonable. It's possible they don't realize how much of a disturbance it is. I'd just talk to them and see what their response is- you may be pleasantly surprised! When you talk to them I'd also mention something about how it's great they've found a way to socialize in a safer way so it's not all negative things you're saying. Let us know how it goes!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 09-13-2020, 03:30 PM

I would definitely go talk to them. Not everyone works Monday- Friday days either.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Outdoor movies late at night
Old 09-13-2020, 09:23 PM

I would talk to them once, and ask them politely to turn it off at ten. If that doesn't work, then it's time to call the police. You may want to call your city or check on their website about noise regulations beforehand so you know your rights.

Good luck! I detest inconsiderate, noisy neighbors. You have my sympathy.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Old 09-14-2020, 07:23 AM

Yikes, some of this advice. Absolutely you should not report them without talking to them first. And it doesn't have to be some formal conversation.

Just casually bring it up next time you see them and ask that they stop their parties earlier since the light and noise is making it hard for you to sleep. If they're decent neighbors, they'll end at a more reasonable time. And for the people who were saying that a party once a week is crazy...it's not like they're throwing a rager. They're watching movies with family and perhaps some friends.Their yard, they can have a party every night if they want, so long as they're obeying noise ordinances and cutting off the noise disruption at the correct time (I think is around midnight where I live).
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote