Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

We did it!

>

kathy

We did it!
Old 10-14-2020, 04:11 PM

We signed the contract to build a new house! We are so excited and it's a whole new experience for me. If any of you have "Oh, I wish I had known...."advice, please send my way. I plan on getting faux wood cordless blinds, so if anyone has a great resource, let me know. Also, our everyday dishes are 22 year old Phalzgraph. They used to be pristine white, put over the years they are white/grey, due to scratches of spoons and knives. Anyone have a favorite tableware you could suggest? TIA!

kathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 10-14-2020, 04:29 PM

My suggestion is be present as much as you can. Insist on the little things being fixed as they go. Buy the best quality you can afford on this things that are long term. Countertops, sinks, showers, tile, flooring, cabinets etc. donít go with construction grade if you can help it. The most expensive isnít always the best quality.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 10-14-2020, 05:05 PM

Have lots of outlets added wherever you might need them, at levels other than the bottom of the wall. Get the kinds that have a USB port!
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 10-14-2020, 05:12 PM

I would suggest making sure at least one bathroom has a walk in shower. Look for creative places to add storage. If your orientation allows it, consider extending the roof line some place to add covered outside seating. Also, make sure you have a covered porch for Amazon deliveries.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-14-2020, 05:13 PM

Congratulations!

Plan the house to meet your future needs even if you think you will move on. Some things I wish I had thought of:

My living room and kitchen are tiny when the kids visit bringing their spouses and kids. We could really use more space for gatherings.

My fitness level is poor and my laundry room is in the basement. I wish I had my laundry room on the main level.

Now that we are stuck with Covid, I wish we had a large foyer or mud room so that we could take our shoes off and leave coats and bags. Instead we take our shoes through the house and our belongings have to be brought in.

Because the house is small, we only have one window per room. The rooms on the north side of the house are darker than I can stand. I wish we had two windows in each room to allow for more natural light.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Outlets!
Old 10-14-2020, 05:13 PM

Put in lots, and some at different heights. If you do a big walk in shower put the on off faucet at the end of the shower that you enter in. We didn't, and have a big glass wall and no door and get squirted with cold water for a second! Gonna fix that someday!
anabel12 is online now   Reply With Quote

AnnaMarie

Old 10-14-2020, 05:44 PM

We built our house in 2005-2006. Everyone had said what a horrible experience it is. I COMPLETELY DISAGREE!

When we were preparing for our trip to the guy who would be designing our house, the builder said to come with a "wish list." I had four pages of notes, broken down room by room. DH said he just wanted a toilet...men, lol.

I was very specific, down to the size of each room, the closets, the outlets, which rooms would be facing the afternoon sun, etc. From research ahead of time, I knew that it's not a great thing to change your mind about stuff once the framing begins, so we were very careful about making sure we had what we wanted from the very beginning. One thing our builder suggested was that all doorways be at least 36" wide in case one of us ever ended up in a wheelchair. Another suggestion was to put a safe in the basement when they were pouring the concrete floor. That way we could turn it on the side so the door would open up and no one could ever walk off with it if it was concreted in.

DH, being a plumber, plumbed the house himself. I took TONS of photos throughout the process and we have referred to them many times. We also included outlets on the porches for Christmas decorations, and even had two put in the soffits. Fourteen and a half years later, there isn't anything I would change because we did our research thoroughly.

Good luck!
AnnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Outlets!
Old 10-14-2020, 06:26 PM

Put in lots, and some at different heights. If you do a big walk in shower put the on off faucet at the end of the shower that you enter in. We didn't, and have a big glass wall and no door and get squirted with cold water for a second! Gonna fix that someday!
anabel12 is online now   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 10-14-2020, 06:39 PM

Yay! I loved that time of dreaming, planning, and building.
I wish we had thought of outdoor outlets for Christmas lights. Watch the angle of the sun. We made sure to build to take advantage of the sun in the colder months, and have the eaves out pretty far to shade from the sun in the summer. Think of bathroom placement in relation the rooms where you entertain guests. A little distance is more comfortable for all, when possible.

I wish the house was not quite as open as it is. Thought w’d Like it, but I can hear the television in every single room, which I don’t like. I also tiptoe in the morning when DH is still sleeping and I’m awake! We wired for speakers all over the house, and now everything is wireless.

Anabel, hold a washcloth over the shower head while you wait for warm water!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 10-15-2020, 04:50 AM

Congratulations! So very exciting! My Dad (licensed electrician) wired my house and so I have lots of outlets and there are many outside for Christmas lights. I even have a switch in a hall closet which turns off all the Christmas lights so I don't have to go outside!

Enjoy this process! Happy for you.

md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

funkid

Outlets
Old 10-15-2020, 05:02 PM

Plan a place (pantry or broom closet) where your vacuum can be charged. If you are going to have cabinets that do not reach the ceiling, add outlets there to accommodate lights for holiday decorations. As other poster have stated, outlets everywhere. Think about furniture placement for possible floor outlets.
I am sorry that my laundry room doesnít have a built in ironing board. Another thing we underestimated was bathroom storage.

Enjoy the process, speak up, changes can only happen in a small window of time!
funkid is offline   Reply With Quote

edfan

Another outlet suggestion
Old 10-15-2020, 10:07 PM

Have more than one in the bathroom.
Donít put the laundry behind bi-fold doors.
Try to limit steps up to front entrance.
I hope you love your new home. If the process is frustrating, you are not alone. Youíll LOVE that everything is brand new and fairly trouble-free for a few years at least. Congratulations!
edfan is offline   Reply With Quote