Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Not political/piggyback on voting line thread

>

Youthcantknow

Not political/piggyback on voting line thread
Old 10-15-2020, 07:22 AM

This is also not a political question, although a new thread could be opened on the Politics board if anyone wants to debate the 'whys' behind this.
My question is how long it takes you to vote in person (not including the mail-ins that so many of us are doing this year).
My town has less than 20,000 people and we've got multiple polling places, with each neighborhood assigned to a specific place. I can walk in any time of the day and I'm out in five minutes unless I stop to chat. I'm amazed at the very long lines I see on TV!
How many of you actually have to stand in line to vote and how many of you find that a foreign concept, like me?

Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

No time
Old 10-15-2020, 07:54 AM

I voted yesterday. There was no wait.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 10-15-2020, 08:01 AM

I waited two hours once, on election day. Ever since then we have always done early voting. Early voting opened today. Lines are long. I'll go another day.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 10-15-2020, 08:04 AM

Before early voting, I always waited in line to vote. I used to find it rather stimulating. There would actually be pleasant conversation among those waiting in line. This is back when we were civilized, before some found it in their interest to work us up into a fevered frenzy. I never waited hours, but I have waiting up to an hour. My friend in Florida stood in line for two hours in 2016.

We have a two week early voting period starting today. I'll wait until tomorrow, but I will ride by two polling places when I go out to do errands. I want to see if there are lines in my town.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 10-15-2020, 08:22 AM

Back in the day when I voted in person I never waited more that 10 or 15 minutes. I worked the voting polls for several years after I retired and had the opportunity to observe a variety of voting districts and noticed that very few people had to wait more than 15 minutes if they came before 5pm. After 5pm the wait could be longer 30-40 minutes. My city is small ... about 50,000... so that may explain the short wait time.

I admire the people who wait in line for hours to vote. I'm so glad they have the persistence to endure the hours of wait time to cast their votes. We really do need to arrange that voting is not such an arduous task.

In so many ways this election has exposed the flaws in our election process. We really do need to do everything we can to push for change before our next election.

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 10-15-2020, 08:25 AM

I live in a large metro area that is highly democrat and in a state that mostly leans that way though the smaller towns downstate are more conservative.

In 2016 the primary had massive lines. As s result I went to an early voting polling place for the 2016 November election. There was hardly any wait at all. However, I have been watching my local news which has been reporting massive lines at various early voting places. I live in the suburbs and they were mostly showing places in the city so that might make a difference.

I think because of everything going on, there may be a lot more people voting this year than in past elections. I was concerned about Covid so I requested a mail in ballot this year. My state actually went the extra mile and mailed every resident an application for a mail in ballot so no one had to dig around and figure out who to contract. Our governor is very cautious about the pandemic and wants everyone to stay safe.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Old 10-15-2020, 08:27 AM

NC had the earliest date to request mail in ballots. Response has been phenomenal.

Today is the first day for early in person voting. This is a photo of Bojangels Coliseum in Charlotte. Response has been phenomenal!
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

time
Old 10-15-2020, 08:32 AM

I have waited for over an hour before. In the primary of 2016. the wait was almost 3 hours.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 10-15-2020, 08:36 AM

It varies on actual election days, but for national elections there is usually a line. I did early voting this year, and did not have to wait at all, thankfully.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 10-15-2020, 08:40 AM

I have already had to report voter fraud to the Secretary of State in my state. I received a text about getting the wrong ballot in a county I have never lived in and that if I mailed my ballot in it would be destroyed and not counted. It was from a political party that isn't mine. I don't believe in early voting or mail in ballots with a few exceptions. Too easy for fraud. I'm hoping that someone didn't switch my registration, which is super easy to do. The department of voting has launched an investigation.

I have never waited more than 3 minutes to vote.

Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

voting
Old 10-15-2020, 08:53 AM

For years I would walk to my nearby polling place (< 1 mile), usually somebody's garage, and wait perhaps 5-10 minutes. That time included having the poll people look up my name and me signing in the register. After I started traveling a lot, I got absentee ballots, and just dropped them in the mail. This year every registered voter in my blue state got a mail-in ballot, but people can also deposit theirs in receptacles with poll attendants in front of convenient places such as the YMCA < 1 mile) and the library (3 miles). DH and I took ours directly to the drive-through booth at the Registrar of Voters. No lines anywhere.

Quote:
Sorry to inform you that it IS political.
I agree. The fact that there are authorities who go out of the way to make it inconvenient or difficult for people to vote makes it political.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

rubyanne

Old 10-15-2020, 10:07 AM

I think the longest I have waited was 45 minutes. I usually go for early voting and it takes maybe 10 or 15 minutes. I cannot imagine how hard it would be to wait hours (some places up to 10 hours!). I have had to vote with my kids when they were little. How would I do that with such long wait times?

I still think we should have a National Holiday to vote so people don't need to worry about taking a day off from work.
rubyanne is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-15-2020, 10:52 AM

I agree that the reasons behind the waiting are often political.

In my previous state (I'm in a vote by mail only state now), I always had to wait. The longest I've had to wait was an hour. We also were assigned to a specific polling place based on our neighborhood, but the hours perhaps were short or the districts big because there was ALWAYS a line.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

voting lines
Old 10-15-2020, 12:01 PM

I never wait more than a few minutes. But this time I am not standing in any lines. We are dropping off our ballots this weekend to the drop box in our county.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 10-15-2020, 12:19 PM

I live in a small city of about 100k people. We have several polling places pretty well spread out around the city in what seems to be a ďfairĒ manner. I donít believe Iíve ever waited more than 20 minutes for any election.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

length of time to vote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:29 PM

When I lived in Georgia, we started off voting at a very tiny little ancient "courthouse" for our rural district. One room, heated with a wood burning stove, and the polling workers were all people we knew. It took about 15 minutes.

And then my district voting place got moved to one of the local Baptist Churches. (There is literally one on every corner in my old area.) That took about 40 minutes, from getting out of the car to getting back in.

Another polling place was at the elementary school where I worked. It wasn't my precinct so I couldn't vote there. But a lot of the teachers lived near the school and the principal would announce some code phrase to let teachers know that the line was short and that some of the aides would be showing up momentarily to watch your class so that you could go vote. I remember walking by the line with my class to get to lunch and being amazed at the length of the line.

The school system finally decided to have a school holiday on Election Day because some teachers who didn't live near their voting precinct had trouble getting to the polls after work. (They lived in Atlanta and drove quite a distance to get to our school system to the west.)

I voted today, absentee ballot which is the same as a mail-in ballot here. Two minutes to drop it off at City Hall in the drop box.

Again, why am I such a chatterbox on PT? I'm truly sorry about the length of this post.
timeforbed is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Voting, no lines!
Old 10-15-2020, 12:30 PM

I've never had to wait in line more than five minutes. I am dismayed at the photos of long lines of people waiting to vote. I am appalled that those who want to stay safe and vote by mail are denied that right, depending on where they live.

My state (CA) is entirely vote by mail this year. I will fill out my ballot and then hand carry it one block to city hall where I can watch it safely disappear into the ballot box that is available there. No lines, yay!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigercat

voted today
Old 10-15-2020, 12:34 PM

I voted today and didn't wait in line at all.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-15-2020, 01:30 PM

My state has had mail in voting since 2013. Unsurprisingly, we have one of the highest rates of voter turnout in the country. I just shake my head when I see stories about people waiting for hours and hours in line, or even in the other thread where the person said they apparently "didn't qualify" for mail in voting? There's really no excuse for any of that nonsense.

I moved here in 2010, so I voted in person a few times. In non-presidential election years I walked right in. I waited about 20 minutes to vote in 2012, but I went early, before school. I think lines were longer if you went from 5-7 PM. Same in my hometown. If you could get there earlier, it wasn't bad, but lines were often up to 2 hours if you were there around 5-7.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Voting time
Old 10-15-2020, 02:44 PM

It usually takes 20 minutes to get through the main line and about 5 once I get in the line specifically for my neighborhood.
Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

CK2

Old 10-15-2020, 04:17 PM

I’m in and out typically in less than five minutes.

I’ve read recent posts about handing mailed ballots directly to a postal clerk. That would be a very long wait in line for me.
CK2 is online now   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 10-15-2020, 04:47 PM

i am in a full-on RED state (idaho). i have never waited more than a couple minutes...(and i'm usually voting after work close to 5 or so)

i do recall one year waiting in line for a long time and dragging a baby in with me...must have been 2000--probably just SEEMED like a long time because i was worried he would get fussy.

we have 4 places open for early voting and a mobile voting center that is roving all over the place--it will be at the library between school and home (only about 5 miles apart) on monday, so that's when i plan to vote and remind DH to do it then as well)
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 10-15-2020, 05:09 PM

Lived in super urban Northern CA and never had to wait more than 10 minutes. Now I live in super rural upstate NY and I still don't wait for more than a few minutes.
word girl is online now   Reply With Quote

all41

Voting line
Old 10-15-2020, 05:37 PM

I live in a very rural area. The last presidential election was the last time I voted in person. Our precinct is just to small to keep a polling office open so we are now mail voting only. From visiting with the election officials during the last presidential election I know we had about 100 registered voters in our precinct at that time. As a result I have never waited in line to vote.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Teddi9192
Old 10-15-2020, 06:49 PM

I have worked the elections and one can not just change a registration. Everything - address, change of address, date of birth, full name, social security number, birth city, etc. are carefully checked. The information in the computer system is quite thorough and there is a system of checks.

I donít know what happened in your case and I hope it is easily resolved.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Voting in person
Old 10-15-2020, 06:57 PM

There are a few things that I havenít seen mentioned yet. Like how organized or not organized a polling place might be. That can determine the amount of time you wait in line to vote. Also, how apt or not the judges are. Whether you are required to show your voterís card or not. The actual physical setup can be a time determiner.

That said, in years past it was normal to wait an hour or more to vote. Now it can be anywhere from walking right in to waiting about fifteen minutes.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote