Help

Retired Teachers

visited my old home piggyback

>

missella

visited my old home piggyback
Old 10-22-2020, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was ready to post on the other post, but then noticed that home was each person's former or last school. When I read the topic line, I was actually thinking of my actual home.

Recently we just visited where I last lived with my parents (and their last home together in Northern Colorado). It was touching to see that the area where you spent some of your growing years; however the area has changed greatly compared to when we lived there many years ago. Growth is good, but the traffic congestion part is bad. The neighborhood itself had grown too, and was nicely kept up. Our former home looked to be surviving the years just fine. Trees that we planted were now mature and beautiful. I imagine the back porch still offers an excellent view of the front range. The neighbor next door was still the same person (even though he is now in his 90s), but most of the other neighbors have moved or died. It brought back good memories, but touched with a bit of sadness.

What about your old home?

missella is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 10-22-2020, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My childhood home (in which I lived in for a while after my mom moved into an apartment) is very sad. We used to plant lots of flowers, had a nice porch with hanging baskets and a glider, large garden, and kept it well maintained. Now it is one of those houses in which there is a ratty old couch on the porch along with a bunch of other junk, overgrown lawn, a couple of riding lawn mowers chained to trees , junked cars in the driveway, peeling paint, and many political signs for a candidate I despise. The rest of the neighborhood is in similar stages of decline.

I just channel my fond memories for when it was a treelined street full of happy friends and families.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Old Homestead
Old 10-22-2020, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It has been a few years since I visited the home where I lived from three to ten years old. (1958 to 1966)

The house looked the same but the 250 year old live oak tree growing in the side yard looked very different. It was missing the big limbs that stretched from the front side yard into the front yard. I still wanted to climb it but decided the current owner might not appreciate that.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

home
Old 10-22-2020, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have moved many times, but I went back two years ago and saw the first house that I really remember. The places before that are a blur, where I remember a sand-filled swimming pool in one, a big fruit tree in another, and a brick garden wall in yet another.

I brought a photo of myself and my little brother sitting on the edge of the front porch. I was surprised that the house was so much smaller than I remembered it. The porch was still exactly the same, and the house was well-maintained, considering that by now it was almost 90 years old. Nobody was home, so I couldn't ask if I could look inside. There was a two-story blank white wall of the (new to me) imposing house next door where our driveway to the garage in back had been. The neighborhood itself was quite upscale with lots of new homes and lush vegetation. I couldn't find my old parochial school. They probably tore it down and put up some big houses.

It was a bittersweet experience.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-22-2020, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I own the small house where I grew up because Iím an only child and inherited it from my parents. Now I pay property managers to handle renting it. Itís (obviously, like me) an old house. I also pay for gardeners, a pool guy, and repairs. It looks decent and has stayed rented for 5 years (2 different tenants).

I know my dad wanted DH and me to live there when we retired, but I just canít. Iíd be thinking of my parents and my childhood at every turn. I loved them dearly and was a happy kid, but I need my life.

If a certain proposition on this ballot passes, I may sell because Iíll lose my tax advantage. I have an appointment with a tax guy next week, so weíll see. The house is in good shape for its age, but itís an affluent community so it would be considered a tear-down. A few months ago, when I was a happy landlord, the current tenants asked me if Iíd sell it to them; I donít want to because so many things arenít to code and I donít want to fix it or be responsible.

Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Camp
Old 10-23-2020, 01:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I drove out to the old camp we stayed in all summer when we were growing up. A distant cousin owns it now. I noticed he added in another way to get to the basement bathroom which is the only one in the camp if you don't want to use the outhouse. When we were growing up, you had to go outside and around to the side entrance to get under the camp. There was a place with just a toilet. There was a bucket which would filled with rain water that came from a couple of large barrels at the side of the house and halfway under the eaves. A hose with a turn on/off switch was hanging on an old nail over the bucket. You filled the bucket and ... Etc. That was not a fun place to be, especially when it was raining and dark outside and all you had was a flashlight. I learned to dash outside and squat at the edge of the woods when I was young.

Other than the new access stairs, everything looked the same. Lovely old cabin with a huge front porch for eating at one end and some beds at the other end. It sits up on a hill in the woods overlooking the "pond" which is Maine for lake. Used to be a lot of cousins around there but everyone except the one seems to have moved on.
timeforbed is online now   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Home
Old 10-23-2020, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My mother lived in the same house from the age of 3 until she died at age 89. This was our family home, never owned by anyone else. When my dad moved to an assisted living at age 93, about 4 years ago, we sold it. What a very sad day for me. I haven’t been back this year, mainly because of Covid stay at home habits. It’s in a nearby state about 65 miles away. I wonder about the neighborhood and the house these days.

Last edited by SusaninNJ; 10-23-2020 at 09:28 AM..
SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

The Good Old Days
Old 10-23-2020, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My parents still live in the house I grew up in. The neighborhood hasn't really changed with the exception of people. On the street my parents live on there have been deaths, so my parents friends have left. With the deaths and selling of homes come new, younger people. My parents and the lady [she's over 100] are the oldest people on the street. There is a widow and family that have been there for a long time, other than them the rest are pretty new.

I lived with my grandmom for about 10 years and her area has changed. I looked at her house on google and as of 2018 she had a wood fence on the front of the porch and a huge bush in her front yard. She lived in Philly up the street from the last school I worked at [my mom went to elementary school there]. Sadly, my grandmom died before I became a teacher so I never got the chance to have dinner with her after school. I say this because I would look out the window of my classroom especially on a snowy day and think I could stay at grandmom's instead of driving home.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 10-23-2020, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My Mom moved out of our family house in the mid 1990ís after my Dad died. I became curious after reading this thread and looked the house up on Zillow. Boy, has it changed. It was a typical Chicago brick bungalow built in the 1920ís. We had 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. It sold last year. The pictures are incredible. The owners finished the attic and the basement. It now has 8 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. It has an extra kitchen in the basement and a two story deck off the back of the house. Thanks for inspiring me to look it up. It sold for way more than the $25,000 my parents paid for it in the 1960ís.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 10-23-2020, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My childhood home looks the same from the outside. But the neighborhood has deteriorated to the point where I was strongly advised not to drive by it when I went back for a visit a few years ago. We sold it for $45,000 in 1970. It was up for sale in 2018. Asking price $10,000 and I donít believe it sold. Most of the neighborhood has boarded up windows. It makes me sad because I had such great memories of my childhood.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

We went back to our longest childhood home
Old 10-25-2020, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

probably 25 years ago. When we lived there, I think it was 50 years old. My mom was like an interior decorator who went to Homeramas for ideas. Then she'd come back and find way less expensive ways to design.
I had remembered it as a big house and was stunned at how small it was as an adult.
The last time I saw it, the roof was caving in.....Later, I saw a picture of where it was. They'd bulldozed it b/c it was of no value.
There was a big lake on the property though. The guys who bought it were developers and didn't want the house....just the lake to build a subdivision around.
Another brick house we lived in as kids in a subdivision is still there. I looked it up on Zillow out of curiosity. It is worth 10x what he paid for it and it is 60 yrs old. It was a nice house 60 years ago and seems to have been kept up pretty well. I noticed though that 1 of the bathrooms had turquoise ( very old) stuff in it. Everything else had been redone.
Summerwillcom is online now   Reply With Quote