Fifth Grade

Looking for great read alouds

>

short_bread

Looking for great read alouds
Old 01-27-2011, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all!

I'm a para in a fifth grade classroom in an urban school system. Many of my kids don't like reading, are never read to at home and don't read independently, if they can avoid it. I just started this job, but decided to give reading aloud another shot. The classroom teacher said he tried but the kids had talked through the whole thing so he gave up.

I started off with "No Talking" by Andrew Clements, which we haven't yet finished but will finish soon. This has gone over very well. They are quiet as church mice when I am reading. Now the problem is... I need to find another book that is going to keep them interested.

I had been looking around and found two possibilities.

Peak by Roland Smith

The Top 10 ways to ruin the first day of fifth grade by Kenneth Derby

Has anyone ever read any of these aloud or otherwise, and if so, what do you think?

I'm also up for other opinions. I'm skipping on things like Hatchet, because I think that would bore them. To tedious. It has to be something that grabs their attention right away and keeps it throughout the book, otherwise I'm afraid I'd lose them. I want something that will appeal equally to both boys and girls as well.

With that said: any ideas?

Thanks so much,

K.

short_bread is offline   Reply With Quote

finewine

finewine

5th grade teacher
Old 01-27-2011, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My fifth graders love for me to read aloud to them. Many people in their lives think they are too old for this, but I try to make time for read aloud every day. My kiddos loved the Roald Dahl books, i.e. George's Marverlous Medicine, the Twits, Matilida, James and the Giant Peach. They also enjoyed Jerry Spinnelli's book, Mania Magee (a much more serious story about a homeless kid in a racist community). I try to mix up genre to expose them to a variety of books. Mx it up and they'll stay engaged. Ask what they think as you read! Fifth graders have strong opinions about everything! Most of all, if you enjoy the book and share your thinking, so will the kids!

NewIdeaSeeker

5th grade read aloud
Old 01-27-2011, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just read On my Honor to my 5th grade students. They were so anxious to read more the next day. Quick book. Great for discussion with Character Ed. Highly recommended.
NewIdeaSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Zepper

Old 01-27-2011, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My classes have loved "The City of Ember." I forget the author right now!
Zepper is offline   Reply With Quote

Firebelly

Fave
Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

One book I read EVERY year is Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick. The main character doesn't like to read or write, but ends up writing this book! There are funny parts, sad parts, and very suspenseful parts.

Another is Hank the Cowdog by John Erickson. That one is just plain funny. I enjoy reading it. It's like a cartoon happening.

Another is The Witches by Roald Dahl. It's not one that most have read, but it is very funny.

Firebelly is offline   Reply With Quote

emily_h20

Great Book
Old 01-28-2011, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I work in the same kind of environment. I have been reading Touching Spirit Bear and my kids love it! They are always upset when we miss read aloud. Lots of great conversations come from this book as well. It is written by Ben Mikaelson
emily_h20 is offline   Reply With Quote

JoSo

Read a loud books
Old 01-28-2011, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Percy Jackson series its great cause there is a movie and you can compare it. Loved the book better than the movie.

any Gordan Korman series, Jerry Spinelli or Louis Sanchar. All are great authors that are interesting but I would first do the Percy Jackson. riodron has lesson plans to go with the book too if you choose to.
JoSo is offline   Reply With Quote

hoku625

Old 01-30-2011, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Holes... they love it and they relate to how the kids in the story are feeling.

Any of the Andrew Clement books are good, too.

My struggling readers relate to stories about other students who are goof offs in school or struggle fitting in.
hoku625 is offline   Reply With Quote

pvs2013

Old 01-31-2011, 09:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Louis Sachar books! (author of Holes which a pp recommended) In particular, There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom. If they're kids who struggle in school they will totally identify with the main character, Bradley Chalkers, a kid who hates school
pvs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

giftedglory

There's a Boy in the Girls Bathroom
Old 02-02-2011, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My fifth graders absolutely loved that book. We also read Rules by Cynthia Lord. These were great books.

giftedglory is offline   Reply With Quote

crossmusic711

Read Alouds for 4th grade
Old 02-04-2011, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love historical fiction and I gravitate toward the "older" books, but my 5th graders have loved every book we have read aloud this year.

My Side of the Mountain
By the Great Horn Spoon
Witch of Blackbird Pond**advanced
Sign of the Beaver
The Best/Worst Christmas Pageant Ever
crossmusic711 is offline   Reply With Quote

skittles5

5th grade read alouds
Old 02-09-2011, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am a 5th grade teacher and read to my kids everyday, twice if we can fit it in! One way I found to keep my kids engaged is to have the kids follow along with me as I read. I provide at least 1/2 my class with a copy of the book I am reading. I use this as an intervention for my lower readers, but of course it benefits all kids! Some of the titles I love:

Tuck Everlasting
Where the Red Fern Grows
Walk Two Moons
Sign of the Beaver
Dear Mr. Henshaw
My Brother Sam is Dead-reading right now to accompany our Social Studies curriculum
Watsons go to Birmingham-usually an end of the year book
skittles5 is offline   Reply With Quote

egill

Read aloud
Old 02-16-2011, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I just finished reading Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie to my 5th graders....they LOVE this book! I had a few students go out and purchase their own copy. Jordan Sonnenblick is the author...there is a sequel called After Ever After...I have not read it yet, but a few of my students have gone out and purchased this as well. I think the content of After Ever After is geared more towards Middle School students. I am reading Single Shard by Linda Sue Park right now...takes a little while to get into it, but it's a great story.
egill is offline   Reply With Quote