Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Rotator Cuff

>

magteach

Rotator Cuff
Old 01-28-2011, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I went to the Dr. yesterday due to pain, grinding and some limted movement in both shoulders. I fell down the stairs many years ago and grabbed the railing, but never went to the Dr. Now, before it gets worse I wanted to see what was up. He heard and felt the grinding, took exrays (found arthritis) and ordered an MRI. So, of course now I am wondering about rotator cuff surgery. Anyone had it? How long a recovery? Did it work? Can you do anything with that hand? type on computer, write, knit, drive, and sleep!!!

Fortunately I am retired, but do have trips planned etc.

Thanks for your replys.

magteach

Last edited by magteach; 01-28-2011 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: spelling error intitle

JoSo

Never had the surgery but......
Old 01-28-2011, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I too have hurt my rotator cuff, fortunately I didn't need to have surgery. I did do lost of phiso and had to restrengthen the muscles around it. One of my colleagues had it done and she was out for a couple of weeks recovering from the surgery and then need phiso to strengthen the muscles. She is still having problems so it doesn't cure everything. I would try the massage and phiso first and see how that goes if that doesn't work then do the surgery.

Hope all works out.

Tiki

rotator cuff
Old 01-28-2011, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My mom had that surgery a few years ago - twice. Hers was due to working as a CNA. I remember driving her around to appointments and such for a few weeks, but I don't think it was that long. I live 40 minutes away from her so it if it had been more than a few weeks I'm sure I would have remembered. You can't do much with the arm while it is recovering, but after she has regained most use. She still can only lift a limited amount, 10lb. limit. I'm not sure if that is normal or due to the fact they had to redo the surgery 6 months later. I guess the doctor forgot that if you're over 50 you need a longer recover period before physical therapy. She tore the muscle again during PT. She took more time to recover the 2nd time before PT and healed well. So if you are over 50 be sure you doc allows enough healing time.

magteach

Thanks
Old 01-28-2011, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the information. I have already had PT, and it helped, but maybe I need more. I will certainly make sure the Dr. waits before PT if I need surgery. I just don't want to be immobilized for many weeks! We have a trip planned so maybe we can take that between surgery and PT. Maybe I am worrying about nothing! I hope so.

JoSo

I was in phiso for two months
Old 01-28-2011, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had Phiso for two months three times a week at a rigorous pace to get my rotator cuff back into shape. It all depends on what the dr says though. Keep it up and good luck again.