Help

Fifth Grade

Behavior Help

>

midteach

Behavior Help
Old 02-01-2011, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My teaching partner and I have over thirty years of experience between us and this is still a difficult year. All of our kids talk out and they have come to us with a "reputation" for being mean to each other, which has proven true. The problem is that no one has done anything to stop it in years past and it was just ignored or swept under the rug.
These two students are ones that we are having particular issues with if you have any suggestions we would appreciate it, we have tried everything that we know. Both are LS students and our LS teacher prefers to ignore behaviors to keep parent issues down.

Student 1: Extreme attention problems, is ignored at home so acts out all the time and craves any attention. I meet with this student every morning to touch base and try to be positively reinforce good behaviors. He still continues to shout out and seek negative attention from peers

Student 2: Many home issues cause this student to be volatile. We began the year with this student kicking a teacher. The administration and the LS teacher encourage us to ignore him when he does not feel like doing something and just let him sit in class. We feel very uncomfortable with this, but don't know what to do. It has gotten to the point where he really may not be doing enough class work to move to the next grade level fairly.

Thanks for being a listening ear.

midteach is offline   Reply With Quote

tater_drt

RE:Behavior
Old 02-05-2011, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I never understood why people said to "ignore" behaviors or children. I worked in Special Ed before getting my certification, and I heard this constantly. By ignoring the child or not engaging them in learning, it constantly reinforces to the child that they can do as they wish, and there are no consequences for unacceptable behavior.

If it were me, I would attempt to contact the parent and eventually speak to my administrator. At my campus, we have a book called Pre-Referral Intervention Strategies (PRIM). It is a bit pricy, but it is worth the investment. I strongly suggest using it.
tater_drt is offline   Reply With Quote

JoSo

this sounds like my class every year
Old 02-07-2011, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Unfortunately I have been labeled with being the strict teacher so often I get many behaviours in my class. Of course I am also the first to actually try and put a stop to their behaviours which at first causes them to act out even more. All I can say is continue to have those defined lines and not tolerate anything. I often will send them to the principals office when I they really misbehave because they truly want to be in the class so it is a real punishment. It sounds like you are doing exactly what you need to do I wouldn't ignore the actions though. Oh I often have a time out booth that I send kids, I've even labeled it as such. This has also worked cause they don't want to go to it. Anyways good luck, I know that it can be stressful but they will eventually toe the line.
JoSo is offline   Reply With Quote

midteach

Thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for you advice and encouragement. We met as a team today and our administrator finally backed us by saying that it was inappropriate to ignore this student.
midteach is offline   Reply With Quote