Word Problems: where to find free source so I don't have to keep making up my own? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Word Problems: where to find free source so I don't have to keep making up my own?

>

Gromit

Word Problems: where to find free source so I don't have to keep making up my own?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am spending the next couple of weeks working on word problems with my students. We need a lot of help in this area. Is there a source where I can get lots of examples of word problems with a variety of computational skills required, so I don't have to keep making up my own? It gets tedious after a while.

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

varkgirl

Old 02-28-2011, 02:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

http://worksheetworks.com/math/word-problems.html
varkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

JoSo

It is better to use real life situations.....
Old 02-28-2011, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just to play devils advocate and I know it is not what you asked but it is better to be making up problems from everyday life, social justice issues than to find made-up ones from textbooks. Your rich problems will give students access to a wider range of strategies and solutions.

watch this link: http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_meyer_m..._makeover.html

Its really interesting......

Also have you tried only teaching through problem solving. It allows students to learn skills and critical thinking at the same time. Anyways, I know that I didn't really help but good luck with everything.
JoSo is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 02-28-2011, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Just to play devils advocate and I know it is not what you asked but it is better to be making up problems from everyday life, social justice issues than to find made-up ones from textbooks. Your rich problems will give students access to a wider range of strategies and solutions.
I understand this, but I still need to make up the problems from everyday life. I'd rather not reinvent the wheel since we need A LOT of practice with word problems. We use the exact same computation skills that they are learning in math as their science and social studies tasks, and everything falls apart. I need to give them many more opportunities to practice these skills, and I don't want to spend hours looking for real life scenarios if someone has already done it.

Thank you, varkgirl.

Last edited by Gromit; 02-28-2011 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: typo
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Rascal2

JoSo
Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for sharing the Dan Meyer video. I found it very thought provoking.

Rascal2 is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyJo

word problems
Old 02-28-2011, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am looking for this same thing! There just aren't enough hours in the day to make up all those word problems on my own. : )

I thought I'd share this great strategy that a parent taught me recently at Conferences. It's called Cube-ing
C- Circle all the numbers
U- Underline the Key words
B- Bracket [the question]
E- Eliminate unnecessary information
LindyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

funkalita

Old 03-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am in love with this site another member shared. Like you've mentioned, you can just insert your own current events and whatnot into the problems. PLUS, this site includes differentiation - have fun browsing!!

http://www.lilburnes.org/Staff/Staff...ml/grade2.html
funkalita is offline   Reply With Quote

Callie

Wow. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for sharing the link to this video, JoSo. I really like his ideas. I'm exciting about seeing where I can go with some of them!
Callie is offline   Reply With Quote

JoSo

Social Justice themes
Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I understand about the hours in the day, but what I find is that the problems from many textbooks, or websites aren't thought provoking enough (though sometimes they are). They give our students too much information and not enough to test their abilities to reason. When we are coming up with the problems, yes time consuming, they are often rich. I try to bring in social justice themes or use numbers from shelters, food banks, or other organizations this helps because it first builds a real context, 2) the numbers are provided (though I do change them depending on my students needs or strategies that I want to do), 3) over a range of social justice thinking pieces.

Also when you only teach through problem solving it really builds students comprehension and critical thinking skills.

To help with time I keep the problems that worked really well for the next year. I know this means that the first year is the hardest but this really does build true understanding.

Some great resources that I found helpful are: Vanderwalle (he`s my bible for math), Catherine Fosnot: Young Mathematicians at work, any of Marylin Burns books. Hope that helps.

JoSo

Great site
Old 03-02-2011, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for sharing this looks really well thought out.