Can I connect my smartboard or Elmo wirelessly? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Can I connect my smartboard or Elmo wirelessly?

>

tinkerbelle81

Can I connect my smartboard or Elmo wirelessly?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just got the great news that one of the parents from my class wants to donate a smartboard to my classroom! The school is going to have the smartboard and the projector installed, as well as any wiring that needs to be done.

My question is, I have a laptop in my classroom that I would prefer to use with the smartboard, rather than a student desktop. I also have an Elmo. Can these be connected wirelessly to the projector?

tinkerbelle81 is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

Old 01-30-2011, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I believe they have sell smartboards with bluetooth wireless connectivity and have bluetooth adaptors you can buy for use with others that didn't come with bluetooth integrated, but I can't guarantee it would work with your particular setup.
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

chipi

Old 01-30-2011, 10:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The projector that I had in my classroom last year said it was blue-tooth enabled but I never actually connected it to my laptop. My projector was on a cart (and my Elmo was wired to it), but I would suggest having it mounted to the ceiling so that it doesn't take up the floor space in the middle of your classroom, plus kids can't walk in front of it as easily. A coworker had her Elmo on a table at the front of the room with a wire going up the wall and to her ceiling-mounted projector and I think this was the best set up.

I also liked to project right on to my whiteboard when teaching some lessons, as I could then write directly on the white board to illustrate my lesson. Or, I could have students walk up and underline text/ solve problems, etc, and have the ease of erasing right there on the whiteboard. I did have a screen that I pulled down too, and used that interchangeably.

Sorry I don't know about the smartboard. Awesome that you have such a generous parent!

Last edited by chipi; 01-30-2011 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: I'm tired and spelling sloppy!
chipi is offline   Reply With Quote

JoSo

Wiring
Old 01-31-2011, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The wiring will be through the wall and you will have a monitor outlet, a sound outlet and a video outlet. You will probably need a switch so you can have all your computers, smartboard and elmo plugged together and then you toggle between the too. Atleast if the set-up is the same as the units we have in our school.
Good luck with this, it sounds awesome.

p.s: Can your parent donate one to me too (lol)
JoSo is offline   Reply With Quote

Jalon

sb and elmo
Old 01-31-2011, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have my Smartboard/laptop/Elmo all connected and they work through the ceiling mounted projector. I just use the buttons on Elmo to switch back and forth between the PC (laptop) and Elmo. HOWEVER....our IT department hooked it all up, so I'm clueless how to tell you to wire it, but it CAN be done.

Jalon is offline   Reply With Quote