Help

Fourth Grade

New Math Program Ideas

>

kristeacher

New Math Program Ideas
Old 03-02-2011, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school is looking into switching math programs. I was wondering what other schools and teachers are using. What programs do you like? What do you like about it? What programs should I avoid. Thanks for all of your help with this.

kristeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

JoSo

Reform Mathematics
Old 03-02-2011, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I and my school are doing our math program through problem solving. Some resources to look at are Vanderwalle, and Catherine Fosnot. What this allows students to do is critically think about the solutions and strategies that they would use to solve problems. They work in homogeneous pairs and then we have a congress to discuss the problem. It is a lot more work than traditional textbooks because you have to think about rich contextual problems, you are also always conferencing asking guiding questions and than planing a congress that will be rich and thoughtful for the students. However, all students can attack the problem no matter what their thinking and ability level is. By having a rich contextual problem it is already differentiated for you and you teach problem solving skills at the same time as teaching computation and math concepts. Look at the resources above especially Fosnot she has three great books to read. Good luck
JoSo is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

EnVision is awesome So much better than our old program: McGraw Hill
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote