Help

BusyBoard

Fractions of an amount HELP

>

purple_claire

Fractions of an amount HELP
Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We were working on finding the fraction of an amount today, using counters to have practical application and then moved on to find 1/2 1/4 1/6 1/8 etc mentally. The majority of the class understand this concept and understand that you divide by what is on the bottom line.
However when we discussed finding 2/4, 3/6 etc they seem to have become completely lost - only my higher ability maths group had any concept of the idea. I was probably trying to do too much too soon, so it is my fault.

I want to reteach it tomorrow, and I was wondering if anyone had any great ideas for demonstrating the concept or ways to explain it better than I have been.

TIA

purple_claire is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsSusko

Counters
Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The counters are great for the lower ability students. It may take them a while to understand the concept enough to try it without them. I try to relate the fraction in a different way for the students who have difficulty. If we're taking 3/4 of 16, most people 16 into 4 equal groups and taking 3 of the groups to come up with the answer. For students who are not understanding, we take 3 out of every four counters until they get the concept. Or we'll draw a group 16 x's and circle 3 out every four of them to show they're included.

It takes a lot of visual practice for some students before they can understand why dividing by the denominator and multiplying by the numerator works.
MrsSusko is offline   Reply With Quote

JoSo

Fraction strips
Old 03-07-2011, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use fraction strips to help with this. We then play Marilyn Burn's Uncover and Cover up they are great games for equivalence and fractions in general.
JoSo is offline   Reply With Quote

acorngirl

don't laugh
Old 03-07-2011, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

But my daughter loves the show "bubble guppies" on Nick Jr (she's 3). One of the episodes talks about how a pizza that is in 4 pieces, to split it for two kids to share, they each get two pieces...it's a pretty clear way to show them what fractions are.

YOu have to make it meaningful to them...candy, cookies, pizza, money...otherwise, they may not see practical applications to it. You could also use a sandwich, or 2. You could cut one in half to show 1/2. But then to show 2/4, you could cut another in 4s and show that.

Good luck! IT's a hard concept, but with LOTS of practice, they should be able to get it.

Oh, and I just remembered, there are a lot of online resources--free ones--that show the concepts of what fractions are.
acorngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

loggerteacher

fractions
Old 03-07-2011, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm thinking you are finding fractional parts of a set? 1/2 of 12, etc. Have you read them the doorbell rang? That book is about sharing cookies. Each time the kids share the cookies the doorbell rings and more kids come. Anyway, that is how we introduced dividing and I mentioned it again when we did fractional parts of a set. I got the kids to see that the whole number is the 'cookies', The numerator are how many plates you count cookies on and the denominator is how many total plates you have to share the cookies with. We acted it out and they got it. My low ones have to draw pictures, but they can do it independently. The division skills will come (3rd graders).

I have some activities for the book if you are interested, PM me.

loggerteacher is offline   Reply With Quote