Help

Math & Science

Plants and Animals activities

>

klynnhen1

Plants and Animals activities
Old 04-01-2011, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My second grade class is beginning our science unit on plants and animals. Does anyone have any cute, fun ideas or activities we could do with this unit? We read the book and do a science packet with a few hands-on activities, but does anyone have any other more active ideas? Thanks!

klynnhen1 is offline   Reply With Quote

BlueStar

We're doing plants too.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One of the activities my kids had a blast with was identifying the parts of a flower. I brought in different types of cut flowers, but one kind works just as well. The kids used magnifying lenses to study the flowers up close first. Then, they took the flower apart. They laid the parts out on black paper, glued them, and labeled the parts. On the black paper, the displays looked awesome. To relate our unit to art, we looked at several of van gogh's pieces. Kids had the chance to reproduce one of his masterpieces in their own style. These are still being worked on, but are simply amazing. We also hung ziplock bags up with lima beans inside sitting on a moist paper towel after studying the parts of a seed. The seeds are beginning to open up which allows the kids to see how this looks. Hope these help.
BlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote

JoSo

Growing their own plants
Old 04-04-2011, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just a great hands on experiment is to grow their own plant. They can also measure it and record the growth over time (tying into the math curriculum). You can also go for a nature walk and observe the plants and animals in their local habitats. You can have a journal response of why they think these animals are here.

Hope these ideas work for you.
JoSo is offline   Reply With Quote

Quatro

What if
Old 04-05-2011, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have my older students color a picture of an animal as if it lived in a different ecosystem. An example is what would a polar bear look like if it lived in the jungle. Camoflague can be discussed ahead of time or what colors you see of different animals in different environments. You could then post these on a b.b. with the "What If.." title.
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr Seuss fan

Bird ideas
Old 04-05-2011, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When we study birds, we do a couple of things that are fun:

1. We go on the playground, pretend to be birds, and build bird's nests. They can only pick up one thing at a time. The winning team of 4 or 5 is the bird family that built the most sturdy nest. They may not use their thumbs or do anything birds can't do with their beaks.

2. Collect chopsticks, spoons, and tweezers. Buy gummy worms, Nerds, and Gobstoppers. Using each "beak" style, experiment to determine what each "beak" would be best adapted for.

Dr Seuss fan is offline   Reply With Quote