Help

Special Education

1st year teacher(Self Contained)

>

SippyGirl

1st year teacher(Self Contained)
Old 08-26-2009, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first year teacher and I am sooooooooo lost, at least that is how I feel. After being an assistant in SPED for 10 year you wouldn't think that I would be so freaked out about this. I have 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade students who are functioning on 1st and 2nd grade levels. I have also been informed that I am to teach 3rd grade skills to the students with IEPS written for 2nd grade skills. This is due to the fact that they will be tested on grade level at the end of the year not instructional level. I have struggled through the past two weeks of school already. Everyone at school treats me like I know everything and need no help because I assisted in SPED for so long. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!! I need all the help I can get. I have no doubt that I can teach the skills I just have no idea where to begin. And my schedule WOW, it is a HOT MESS. I have student comming and going all day long to special services, and reg. ed activities such as lunch, PE, library, music, etc. Not to mention that mayn of my students aren't capable of completing work independently and they rush through centers so that I barely have time to complete my small group sessions. WHAT TO DO???????????????????????

SippyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

nessiej

Grade level Team members are great resources
Old 08-26-2009, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you are fortunate enough to have other Ec teachers at your school ask if they will help with minor (to them) items you need help with. At our school we are assigned mentors/mentees for teachers with 3 years and less of experience. This is great if you have a good partner. My mentor year.. ago was nonchalant and told me everything was fine( I was lost too) I befriended 2 other Ec teachers that saved me and literally gave me good ideas. Make independent work something they will be successful with and if it is ruched , get firm and give it back the next day. Maybe a r eward wystem. Our school uses Positive Behavior System. One ideas I like is have a race track either staight or oval posted near the student, Long contruction paper size. Have pit stops that the car image will move toward when they complete acceptable work. some signs along the track may say out of gas, flat tire, etc but also free homework pass, special snack,etc. The goal is to get to student to move in the right direction with positve behavior responses but they can't be rewarded with treats 100% of the time--real life lessons! This would be easy to make with m clipart, laminating and velcro. It may or may not work just an idea.
nessiej is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedteach2

I totally understand
Old 08-26-2009, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

because I'm in a similar situation. I have no clue what to do and am so lost that I'm in tears just thinking about it. I too have experience-as a SPED teacher, not an assistant, but in resource, K-6. This year I got bumped and had to move to a middle school self-contained with grades 6-8. I am a wreck and everyone seems to think I should have it all under control because I'm not "new". Well, I'm new to this!! I am not eligible for a district mentor because I'm technically not a new teacher. The first day of school is Monday and I am dreading it.
Spedteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

SippyGirl

Old 08-27-2009, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the advice. I like the positive behavior idea with the race cars, will have to give it a try.
SippyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
truslerk

truslerk

Old 08-28-2009, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I completely understand what you are going through. I teach cognitively impaired kids grades K-5 and sometimes have them all in the room at the same time! I have been doing this for 5 years and still do not have all the answers, and still change things around all the time..aren't we supposed to offer some consistency?? Here are some examples of things I have done in the past and may continue to do.

Job cards: students have a sort of spreadsheet with different tasks on them..some of them are more independent..some might need some more assistance. for example, put on there 3 academic tasks and then 2 of the other jobs might be more like typing spelling words on the computer or put a puzzle together. the job cards allow you some time to work with a student individually or your aide. once they complete the task, they show it to you and you sign off on the box.

centers: if you have an aide with you, break up the students into 3 small groups, they rotate through these based on the different subject areas. for math, say you are teaching clocks..one group is working with u, one group with your aide and one group is playing a math game based on clocks. time these..say 20 min. each, this gives you your small group time. for language arts, one group reads with you, one group works on phonics with your aide and one group is playing a reading or phonics based game.

as hard as it is, try to work out your schedule so that you have blocks of time where you can teach a lesson, this is what i am leaning more towards this year. then during that time you can pull small groups or have the younger kids working with an aide, while you work with the the older kids/vice versa. i am also looking forward to pushing in this year and trying to keep it so that i don't have the younger kids and older kids together/so more like a morning/afternoon split..although, i have the feeling this is going to be very difficult with 5 grade levels. it isn't always fair and people have no idea what we go through for those kids. i even have teachers send down students when they arent supposed to..i can't stand that!!! one thing to make scheduling easier..if you can, and your school is big enough and the teachers are willing, have all of the special ed. kids in one general education classroom, then the teachers rotate each year who has the special education students. this allows you to work with just one schedule per grade level instead of however many u are currently working with. hope this helps!!