(LONG) Not really much to do with a classroom, just life... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

(LONG) Not really much to do with a classroom, just life...

>

cl2485

(LONG) Not really much to do with a classroom, just life...
Old 03-28-2010, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

so I'm not really sure if I'm within the guidelines of what these posts are to be about. I guess I'm just looking for advice from the moms out there, or anyone really, who also work in special education that might have some thoughts to offer.

My husband and I currently have a beautiful 11-month old daughter. We are going to try for another child toward the end of this summer/beginning of fall to be able to (hopefully) pop one out right about the end of next school year haha!

I'm an Adaptive Behavior classroom teacher, so I work with students that are severely cognitively impaired and have some major behavior/aggression issues that are mostly brought on by communication deficits but not totally. I work at a school that is about 40 miles from our home (we lived in the area when I started the job, but my husband and I bought a house that far away later, and I didn't want to change jobs because I LOVE my school and admin and teachers that I work with). I'm definitely working there next school year as well because I want to see the kids I originally started with off to high school.

I was thinking about next school year, 2010-11, being the last year I work for that district and then looking for a job in the school district I currently live in for the 2011-12 school year.

The problem is, that'd be right when we are planning (if all goes well) for our second child to be born. I guess my question is, how hard will it be to find a new job right after I have a baby? I feel like I know the simple answer is VERY HARD. I mean, how will I find the time to go on interviews and be able to properly sell myself (have energy, haha) while taking care of a newborn and a 2 year old that summer? Will I be putting my family at risk (in case I don't get a job)? YES. That's not good.

The positives of working closer to home are financially enormous. I would also be able to still get home at a decent hour when I have to stay at work late.

But, if I'm not able to find a new job, none of that matters.

Should I just plan on staying at my current job for an additional year?

I know this is a lot of futures planning, but I teach middle school SPED, so that's what I do and what I'm good at !

Any thoughts are appreciated and again, I apologize if this is not the right place to bring this up, but I figure I'd like to hear opinions of others, if possible, in addition to discussions I've had and will undoubtedly continue to have with my husband, family, and friends.

cl2485 is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

My thoughts are that a job search, or new
Old 03-30-2010, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

job, new baby, new tot, new school sound like an awful lot of changes all at once. Personally, I hugely value being happy at work. I've experienced the dark side of being miserable at a school with low morale. As much as it would be nice to teach in my side of town, I prefer safe and happy at my current school.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

leslier

travel time
Old 03-31-2010, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How long does it take you to get to work? Although I totally agree with Blue Heron and I'm so glad to HAVE a job, for your own satisfaction I think you should look around and see what is available out there. Then you can make level-headed choices and they will be your own.
leslier is offline   Reply With Quote

cl2485

Thanks so much!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

After I wrote all of that, I forgot to come back and see if anyone responded until now. Whoopsie!

I have decided that I am going to search for a job in districts closer to my home. I began applying the beginning of this week and will continue until I have them all finished. I will go on interviews if I get any. I will do all of this knowing I can still keep my job at my current school. If I am interviewed at a school and find what I am looking for and am offered a job, I will take it in a heartbeat.

I just know that I have to try to relocate now. Although I want to stay because it would be fun to see my original kids off to HS, I cannot limit myself. I need to do what's right for me and my family. My principal and others at my school know my situation, and I have their full support and am armed with a lot of recommendation letters and references. They want me back next year but understand that I have to do what's best for me. Knowing that I may not find that kind of support somewhere esle makes me want to stay even more, but I have to try.

Thanks for your input blueheron and leslier!

This will all work out for the best, and I know that God will take me where I'm needed.

Leslier, it takes me about 50-55 minutes to get to school in the mornings and about an hour and 15 minutes or so to get back home in the evenings.
cl2485 is offline   Reply With Quote