Help

Third Grade

Phonics for Third Graders

>

conolley

Phonics for Third Graders
Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My third grade team and I have been discussing our need for a phonics curriculum in third grade. We currently do not have anything, but feel that this is an area that we need to continue to address with our students. Unfortunately the curriculum that my school previously had is too pricey to get student workbooks and we haven't yet found an alternative that we think would be good. Does anyone have a good book or curriculum that you use for third grade phonics? I looked at our local teacher store the other day and everything seemed too basic. I have the Evan Moor Take It To Your Seat phonics activities in the highest level and really like those.

conolley is offline   Reply With Quote

Hollyb713

Same boat
Old 07-21-2010, 02:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would love to hear what everyone else says. I know our third grade is in the same boat. Last year we really needed the phonics.
Hollyb713 is offline   Reply With Quote

ohthirdrocks

phonics
Old 07-21-2010, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you ever heard of the Phonics Dance? The phonics dance uses really catchy chants (some with hand movements) and rhymes to remember hunks and chunks. The first and second grade teachers at my school do the phonics dance and they said it is amazing. I have not attended the workshops, but my fellow teachers are going to teach me some of the chants, so that I can continue to reinforce the phonics skills in third grade. I am sure you can google phonics dance and find info on the program.
ohthirdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndgradeteacher

Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We've used the phonics program from our reading series in the past, Storytown. However, I didn't feel that it was really addressing the needs of my students.

I just purchased the Words Their Way book by Donald Bear and am very excited to use this program in my classroom this year.

I originally found the idea and inspiration to use this program from Beth Newingham's website. You can check out her word study information here: http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bne...web3/index.htm

Hope this helps!
2ndgradeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

odie107

WtW
Old 07-21-2010, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also recommend Words Their Way...it is very individualized if used correctly. There are also great resources in the back of the book that help teachers create file folder games and word sort activities...much more fun than boring phonics sheets.

odie107 is offline   Reply With Quote

tracykaliski

Old 07-21-2010, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Have you looked at programs on Educator's Publishing's website? They have lots of great programs.

I love the primary phonics program they have. There's also a program called explode the code that's good. I don't know if it goes up to 3rd grade or not.
tracykaliski is offline   Reply With Quote

YankeeDoodle7

Old 07-21-2010, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My district put together a program that I use with my students. Using 1 in. graph paper, the students graph their spelling words. Each box gets one phoneme. So for the word "wrong" "wr" would go in the first box, "o" would go in the second box, and "ng" would go in the last box. When we go over them in class, the students tell me the phoneme and the letter or letters that make it. It helped with their spelling tremendously.
YankeeDoodle7 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach+25

phonics
Old 07-25-2010, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I know I'm old (62) and have been in this biz 25+ years, but I have never wavered in believing that phonic still needs to be done in 3rd grade, despite many admin types who think kids know it all by the time they get to 3rd. ( and I know for a fact that in my school they learn it and drill it in 2nd.) Therefore, I am super excited that my district is starting Words Their Way. Since Beth Newingham's site is my "go to site" I am going to use her approach to model my instruction-especially with the high frequency words. I have also purchased the supplementary WTW books for 2 of the stages that I am pretty sure my kids will fall into-it has many additional word sorts and board games. I am looking forward to trying this!! ( although I am a little scared about the management) but, I know I will read many comments from my PT friends about their wonderful tips. an aside-this is my absolute favorite site. Bless you all!
teach+25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Betty Davis

Betty Davis

How Jill Learned to Read Using Phonics
Old 07-26-2010, 03:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This book is an excellent resource for teaching your third class phonics. Children will learn to read while having fun using a multi sensory approach. Researchers state that using multi sensory strategies is the best way to teach all learning styles. I have seen tremendous results from using this book. Children who have completed the program are reading at least two years above grade level.

Paolo

Month by Month Phonics
Old 07-27-2010, 12:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Ditto on Words Their Way.

I also like Month by Month Phonics for Third Grade by Pat Cunningham and Dottie Hall.

Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Room4Rocks

Spelling Through Phonics
Old 07-28-2010, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

by the McCrackens is inexpensive, simple to implement and incredibly effective!! My students loved it!!!
Room4Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

love reading

Hands on Phonics
Old 08-05-2010, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I took a phonics class three years ago to address the problem of how to teach phonics in third grade and came away with a system that is inexpensive and teaches students to break apart words. There are 4 basic phonics rules that the students learn that 85% of words in the english language follow.
Rule 1: when one vowel is followed by one or more consonant protectors in a word or syllable then the vowel is short.
Rule 2: when 2 vowels seperated by a consonant protector are in a word or syllable then the first vowel is long and the second vowel is silent. (magic e words or cvce pattern)
Rule 3: when 2 vowels are together in the middle of a word or syllable then the first vowel is long and the second vowel is silent. (cvvc)
Rule 4: one vowel at the end of a word or syllable is usually long.

Then I added star words which are sight words that do not follow any rules.

To figure out what pattern the words follow you ask a series of 10 questions
but befoer asking questions have the student mark the letters in the word with a c (consonant) or a v (vowel) above the letter.
1. How many vowels do you see?
2. where are the vowels? (B/M/E)
3. do you see any monsters? (bossy r)
4. is it a dippy double? (dipthongs- ou, oo, au, aw, ew, ow )
5. what word rule does it follow?
6. is it a contraction
7. is it a compound word
8. is there a prefix or suffix

there are two more questions but I teach first grade and rarely do we have to ask those questions. You would be amazed how much this framework helps students take apart words. By the middle of first grade my students can go through these questions by heart, recite the rules and mark words with little guidance.
love reading is offline   Reply With Quote

Happy Knitter

month by month
Old 08-08-2010, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I was also going to recommend Month by Month phonics. It's awesome and inexpensive. I use it with my lowest group or sometimes my bottom two groups. It's GREAT!!
Happy Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilove2learn2

Month by month phonics
Old 08-17-2010, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would also recommend this resource. It is easy to follow and allows you to focus on high frequency words in a fun and creative way. It gives you suggestions for your struggling readers and writers and provides activities for your stronger students too.
Ilove2learn2 is offline   Reply With Quote

JMonty

Word Journeys
Old 08-21-2010, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I use Word Journeys by Kathy Ganske at the beginning of the school year to assess my 3rd grade students' developmental spelling level. This isn't a program as much an informational book but it is very helpful in explaining how spelling is developmental and where students fall on the spelling continuum. Her book has spelling assessments that will help you find what level each student is on. Once I know where my students are, I use Fountas & Pinnell's Word Study combined with Words Their Way.
JMonty is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Great Question -- Great Responses!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'm glad you asked this and I appreciate all of the wonderful suggestions. I taught a 2/3 split this past year and sometimes worried if I wasn't doing enough 'true instruction' for the 3rd graders. The upside is that two or three of them were special needs and were able to get some phonics 'reteaching' while I was teaching the 2nd graders.

I like most of the authors suggested by other posters and will revisit some to see if I get some new ideas I can use. We also began using StoryTown last year, but were to continue using Open-Court to teach phonics and spelling. That was ridiculously messy in some ways (the spelling words often go with the story, but we had the story from one series and the spelling from another...ACK!) However, the philosophy was that O-C had a great phonics program and ST had great comprehension skills et al. Then we brought in Dibels and BURSTS which also had phonics interventions for the students who were struggling the most.

Frankly, my students probably learned phonics more through some of the websites we found. Star Fall was generally too easy for the 3rd graders (except my neediest one), but they did like some of the others. Sometimes they used the Promethean board and sometimes they could work on one of the computers. I'd be interested in any sites that other teachers liked. I can't recall their favorite off-hand, (they're favorites on my other computer), but I remember that a lot of the 'best stuff' seemed to be British. Of course, that lead to a few issues with pronunciation, spelling and terminology such as 'full stop' but the kids didn't even seem to notice as much as I did.
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

sonshine

Modern Curriculum Press
Old 09-28-2010, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We used this when I taught just third grade. It's not "flashy" but has a lot of good drill. I used ABeka when I taught first along with MCP and those kids could sound out just about anything.
sonshine is offline   Reply With Quote

relaytrain32

Sipps
Old 10-28-2010, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

My county uses SIPPS as an intervention for children that don't make progress with Open Court.
relaytrain32 is offline   Reply With Quote

SJS

Fundations
Old 11-21-2010, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

by Wilson Language is structured, sequenced research-based phonetically-based decoding/encoding program...i use it in my multiage 3-4 class.
SJS is offline   Reply With Quote

senoja

Words Their Way
Old 11-27-2010, 10:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Our third grade team uses Words Their Way for phonics and spelling instruction. The best part is it is differentiated for the individual learner.
senoja is offline   Reply With Quote

bumpylou

Good example of "the pendulum"
Old 11-27-2010, 11:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Phonics seems to fall in that category of way too much, or not enough of a focus. I know that I grew up with decodable texts, with very little meaning. The far extreme isn't a good practice either. I know our K curriculum hits it hard with Jolly Phonics that most kids seem to pick up well. Our basal doesn't cover it well, which results in teachers trying to supplement with their own preferred methods or sources. I'm happy to see more of a focus on "word work" in the context of a total literacy program. I agree that the Month-to-Month phonics books are good. The Beth Newingham site is great as well.
bumpylou is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 01-28-2011, 10:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

We don't order workbooks for all the kids, but we have at least one of the workbooks(perhaps the district bought one or two sets of workbooks to disperse throughout the individual teachers, one book per teacher) to photocopy for the kids. So we are still able to use the program. It's called word work and spelling. w
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

ampmom3

great phonics workbook!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I'll have to check the publisher when I get back to school, but we use "the plaid" phonics workbook. I love it! I would highly recommend it! Our third graders love it, too!
ampmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

CC Girl

Old 10-05-2013, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Our school has tried several things for 3rd grade mentioned below: SIPPS, words their way, intervention, etc. Finally we decided on Fundations at the 3rd grade level and I highly recommend it. We use it whole group and add in a connected reading piece. It has been working well, even though it is supposed to be an intervention. We use Phonics Boost for the intervention
CC Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

stacy4571

Phonics Program
Old 02-09-2015, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I know this is an old post but I found it when I was looking for spelling resources and felt it important to address. If you have a spelling program that is your phonics program. The lists should follow a pattern or principle and follow certain spelling rules. Investigate further into what the rules are because the purpose of spelling lists is to get kids to apply those rules to new words they encounter with reading and writing. The purpose of the list is not for the list itself.
stacy4571 is offline   Reply With Quote