Help

Special Education

12 year old developmental problems

>

laurat426

12 year old developmental problems
Old 11-25-2010, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I am actually a first grade teacher but was looking for answers on a family member of mine. She is 12 years old and is very bright, straight a's at a very good school, but she is very socially awkward. Her speech is very very behind, despite being in speech since a young child. Her verbal ability I would say is that of a 4-5 year old. She uses big words, etc. but her actual speech. Also, she is very socially immature. I feel like I am talking with a 5 year old, (someone younger than my first graders)..... I am very concerned as her parents had her late in life and coddled her a LOT growing up. They are in denial something is wrong, and I would love to have input as to what COULD be wrong.... I know it's hard to know as I am having trouble putting into words what's wrong with her, but thought i'd give it a shot. Was trying to google but I honestly wasn't sure how to google it because I'm not sure what to search for! Thanks in advance

laurat426 is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

try
Old 11-26-2010, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I obviously don't have enough info..but have you googled aspergers? ITs high functioning autism and children with aps..are bright but socially awkward and have speech and language deficits. Just a thought.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

Unless you are directly asked for your
Old 11-27-2010, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

ideas and maybe not even then..... I just can't imagine that such a conversation would be met with anything but resentment. I know it is not your intention, but there is really no good way to tell parents that you have been searching the internet for what is wrong with their child.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

laurat426

thanks!
Old 11-27-2010, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for your ideas, that sounds a lot like her..

I wasn't planning on telling her anything, it was just my own curiosity!
laurat426 is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 11-27-2010, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Chances are her teachers are in the same dilemma. I have had 2 students in the last 2 years who I believe are aspergers. Both sets of parents are clueless- one set actually becomes defensive when something is suggested. "We know he is young, we don't want to hear that he is immature." Well, actually, I wasn't going to use that word at all. I wanted to list some objective symptomolgy and suggest that you consider researching it further, but if you insist on avoiding the conversation, I suppose I will continue to accomodate as much as I can. Hopefully she has good teachers that are in tune to her needs and will break it to them for you.

trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote