Help

Books, Guided Reading & Literature

guided reading....thought and comments

>

lareadteach4

guided reading....thought and comments
Old 06-15-2012, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are going to begin using guided reading in our builiding in the fall. I think that the program looks very exciting. A few teachers used it last year and had amazing results! Some of the teachers are very reluctant to try it. I am not reluctant....just a little scared that I will not do well with instructing the students. I just wanted to get some opinions, thoughts, or comments from people who have used the program. Thanks!!

lareadteach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

read-learn

Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We implemented it in grades 1-2 this year from Feb. through April with outstanding results in such a short time. The beauty of it is all students are getting extra time reading, both struggling readers and gifted!
read-learn is offline   Reply With Quote

aharvey21

Love it
Old 06-25-2012, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We started guided reading last year and I love it... It is a LOT more planning in my opinion. I just worry about how to do vocabulary.
aharvey21 is offline   Reply With Quote

lareadteach4

thanks
Old 06-26-2012, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am glad to see the positive feedback! I also worried about the planning but the teachers that have already implemented the program tell me that it will become automatic as I get into the program. I also worry about room arrangement, indepndent work centers, and keeping it all running smoothly. I guess this is where strategic planning and modeling come into play at the beginning of the school year.

Charl

Old 06-26-2012, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love guided reading! I think you will too. I recently ran across this site that is excellent. It is- reading resource

Last edited by Charl; 06-26-2012 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: Link doesn't work
Charl is offline   Reply With Quote

ACRteach

Book
Old 06-27-2012, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I suggest you check out The Next Step in Guided Reading by Jan Richardson. It made GR so much more enjoyable for me!
ACRteach is offline   Reply With Quote

lareadteach4

Thanks
Old 06-28-2012, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I will check it out!

Paolo

New Guided Reading Book from Stenhouse
Old 07-09-2012, 02:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Guiding Readers: Making the most of the 18-minute guided reading lesson by Lori Jamison Rog is full of great ideas.
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote

ladijen148

Old 07-09-2012, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We did guided reading for about 3 years then our school district did away with it. Now this year they are going back again. I love it for all grades. I have done it with 3rd, 5th, and 7th. It lets you see who really knows how to do the skills and who needs help. Also it gives you a lot of one on one time with your students. You need to be very prepared though for it to work. Practice with the students for the first couple of weeks. Make sure your centers for the other students are meaningful, and the students can do the work. Give them choices that way your lower students can do the work too.
ladijen148 is offline   Reply With Quote

1st*Teacher

Guided Reading
Old 07-12-2012, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We have been doing guided reading for several years and I love it. I feel it helps me really understand where my students individual strengths and weaknesses in reading are and how best to help them. It is very easy to track progress.
We were reluctant to begin this at first because we were used to the basal and it was kind of a crutch in both planning and teaching. Almost all kids are eager to come to the reading table every time because they read a new book every time. Except for my lowest/struggling readers. They often keep the same book for a couple of days.
I schedule 4 groups daily. Last year because of my student's more varied levels, I had to have 5 groups. I saw the lowest 3 every day and alternated the 2 highest groups. We use the DRA levels.

1st*Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

charlottesweb

guided reading/reading workshop
Old 07-14-2012, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Like many of my colleagues, I teach guided reading groups as part of my reading workshop block. After the focus lesson and a few minutes of roaming and kidwatching to get the students settled into their RW activities, I begin GR groups. I usually teach 1-2 two groups each day, depending on my plans for the rest of RW (individual coaching/conferring and strategy groups I might pull).

One of the keys to successful GR instruction is being organized. I prep for several days of lessons based on my notes and observations so my plans and materials are ready for GR.
charlottesweb is offline   Reply With Quote