Anyone else a non-Cristian married to a Christian? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Anyone else a non-Cristian married to a Christian?

>

AnnaCanTeach

Anyone else a non-Cristian married to a Christian?
Old 12-22-2012, 06:22 AM

I feel like such a Grinch.

I'm Jewish and struggling big time this year to get fired up about Christmas for DH. I know he loves it, but there is so much traveling and events. Monday in one city, Tuesday in another, dinner with more family on Wed, and then all next weekend in a final city.

I feel awful that I'm not more excited for him. I'm just pooped from school and don't really have a connection to this holiday. But I know in light of last Friday I should be grateful. UnGrinch me please!

AnnaCanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

guest123

guest123

Old 12-22-2012, 06:39 AM

Oh but you could be connected to this holiday, if only you would believe what the Torah says.

Anyway, the majority of the people who celebrate Christmas are not Christians either, so why not just embrace it and enjoy the family time. I know it can get busy going to house to house, but it pleases your husband and shouldn't that be big on your list?

Isis2

Old 12-22-2012, 06:50 AM

Make a connection to the holiday. Not just for your husband's sake but for yours. For many people, Christmas is simply a time to practice kindness, hospitality, and love of family and friends. I think that would be allowed in any religious tradition.

I identify as a Christian, but I'm having a real crisis of religion, not faith, right now. I'm tired of religion being used to batter people over the head. There's no one meaner than a mean religious zealot. I'm tired of religion being tied to nationalism and patriotism, and I mean in the United States as well as in Muslim countries and Israel. I believe God is bigger than one place and one faith.

So, accept the spirit of the holiday and go in peace. Yes, it's a little noisy and busy and requires travel, but the holiday itself is about connection and unity. Personally, I could use a little of that.
Isis2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended

Old 12-22-2012, 06:53 AM

I sort of am. He was pretty devout when we married and is now sort of a non-practicing Christian. I like Christmas though and always have. But we have always celebrated the "secular" aspects that came from ancient pagan beliefs and customs. I think I would be less enthused if Ididnt have a little kid chomping at the bit with her anticipation of Christmas morning. Holidays just kind of loose their sparkle in adulthood I have found.
janeypoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Isis2

As an embarrassed Christian
Old 12-22-2012, 06:54 AM

may I personally apologize to you for Guest123's remarks.

hiker1

Old 12-22-2012, 07:05 AM

I don't mean to hijack the post, but your comment about being Jewish reminded me of this exchange a few weeks ago. We had just read the scholastic weekly reader about Winter Holidays. Haunakah (sp) was mentioned. One of my students stopped and asked me, "Wait do we celebrate Haunakah?" I had to mention to him that he wasn't Jewish. ( our school community is primarily Christian, with a few Muslim and HIndu.)

It's sad that many people of faith tend to forget what the holiday truly represents. Or that many of them only recognize their faith during the holidays. I hope you can destress, and enjoy your time off with your family no matter what you do.

Last edited by hiker1; 12-22-2012 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: added on.
hiker1 is online now   Reply With Quote

funkster

Old 12-22-2012, 12:23 PM

In regards to the above quote-" For many people, Christmas is simply a time to practice kindness, hospitality, and love of family and friends."

Um... Have you gone out today, you know driven somewhere or gone into stores? I think many people forgot the kindness, hospitality part today. I have never been cut off more on the street, or been rude to more in stores than I have been today. Let's hope tomorrow and Monday are better.

I used to love Christmas, but now that I see Christmas items at back to school time and all through the rest of the year until the end of Dec. it just kind of lost some of its appeal. I liked it better when the first sign of it came after Thanksgiving and went until Christmas day.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

Isis2

To Funkster
Old 12-22-2012, 06:55 PM

I'm pretty realistic about grocery stores and shopping center parking lots three days before Christmas.

I have to say, kindness, hospitality, and love of family and friends continue to be a big part of my Christmas, and I still love the holiday and the joy that comes with it.

AnnaCanTeach

Thanks
Old 12-22-2012, 07:06 PM

DH and I are currently failing at getting our three month old nephew to sleep. Feeling better, but have to make some better strides at being a DW at Christmas. Thanks for the perspective pters.

Guest123...what an odd, incorrect comment.
AnnaCanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Jewish
Old 12-22-2012, 09:44 PM

First WTH-Guest123. That comment just irked me, sorry.

Anna-What is it that you are having trouble with? Is it the anticipation of all the travel or seeing all of that family? I am Jewish and enjoy Christmas to an extent. Our city has, "Christmas in the Park" where different companies/non-profits/schools decorate a tree.

Maybe find something on that extent to help you get excited. if you like a certain drink that is around at this time, get it. Treat yourself before you start travelling and then after you travel.

Good luck.

rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote