Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Crohn's disease

>

scootertalks

Crohn's disease
Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 PM

Anyone familiar with this? Any good advice?

scootertalks is offline   Reply With Quote

AnnaCanTeach

So sorry
Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 AM

To hear your or someone you know is dealing with it. One of my best friends has CD. He felt awful for a bit while they got his medication balanced and now he is doing very well. He's rather not have it, but was glad to have a diagnosis for his discomfort.

Wishing you well!
AnnaCanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

CookingQueen

My son...
Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 AM

Was just diagnosed at age 23. At first I was scared but he seems to be doing okay. There is no cure and he will have to be on anti-inflammatory medicine for the rest of his life. He does the injections of Humera every two weeks. The down side is he has to be very careful to stay heaalthy since those drugs can weaken your immune system. There are 3 levels of Crohns and his is moderate. I am confidant that with a good doctor and my son following the plan, that this will be very manageable. Good luck!
CookingQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

emgirl

My brother in law
Old 01-24-2013, 09:48 AM

Was diagnosed about 8 yrs ago. It can suck! He's been hospitalized at least 5 times for it that I know of. He doesn't take any meds and I think that's why he gets flare ups. He hates his dr. and he avoids certain foods. Not trying to scare you but the times he's been hospitalized its been h@ll!!!
emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

lw1212

My husband
Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 PM

Has Crohn's Disease. He's had it for over 20 years. Like the PP, he takes Humera but he's on weekly injections, and takes steroids for flare ups. Not a great disease to have, but manageable if he watches what he eats and listens to his body.
PM me if you need any specific advice or information.

lw1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 PM

My aunt was diagnosed in her 40's. She died of complications at age 60.
Her 'bouts' usually put her in the hospital for a couple of weeks.
I know that not everyone has it that bad, but you really need to stay on top of it.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

filehead

sister has it
Old 01-24-2013, 02:52 PM

My sister has it and was diagnosed many years ago...good days and bad, bad days unfortunately. Immune system greatly compromised. She has learned to live with the punches....and always be close to a restroom. She has stopped taking the shots because of side effects and finds some comfort in long, hot baths to ease painful flareups. She has been hospitalized with major effects 3 times, two bowel surgeries. I pray all goes well with you or whoever you are writing about.
filehead is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 01-24-2013, 03:56 PM

I have a family member who was diagnosed over 20 years ago. She struggled for many years and always needed to be near a restroom. About 8 years ago she started getting Remicade.. It is administered by IV every 7 or 8 weeks by the doctor. It has been a wonderful medication for her. But that was after years of trying different medications. She has had 1 surgery in recent years. Do lots of research and look for doctors associated with research hospitals since they usually have access to latest treatments.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Jade

Cousin
Old 01-24-2013, 04:27 PM

I have a cousin who was diagnosed many years ago and he is in his mid 60's now. He has had many bouts and ups and downs, including hospitalizations and surgeries. One serious episode involved scar tissue and a bile duct. He has been in pretty good shape for 3 years after getting into a doctor at the Mayo Clinic and getting on a regular drug regimen. Sorry...don't know what he takes but I think it's periodic injections. I know he needs to really watch what he eats, but when I've been with him he seems to have a pretty normal diet.
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote