What would you say is your behavior management system for first grade? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

First Grade

What would you say is your behavior management system for first grade?

>

knitting987!

What would you say is your behavior management system for first grade?
Old 11-19-2013, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is always a challenging area for me. Please tell me how you set this up at the beginning of the year? Does your system work well for your class and why? Thanks a bunch for sharing.

knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

After trying different things
Old 11-19-2013, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

through the years, I found one that works if you stick with it: Smartclassroommanagement.com. I made a few very minor adjustments for my firsties and would never give this up! It's simple for the teacher, easy for kids to understand and does not reward children for things all human beings should do. A great management system! If you google this and read all of Michael Lissin's on-line newsletters, you will know if it matches your philosophy.
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. R :)

Responsive Classroom
Old 11-20-2013, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's not a program, but an approach to teaching and learning that has changed my teaching forever and brought back the joy of what I do every day. responsiveclassroom.org
Mrs. R :) is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks! I'll check it out. I am currently a sub but trying to get an in and am trying to learn what I can beforehand. I also sub first so this will be good.
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 11-20-2013, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have a school wide plan which I love. We use something called ENVoY. You can google it along with the name Michael Grinder. The Daily 5 Sisters are ENVoY certified and trainers and they reference it in their book and bibliography. This isn't necessarily a behavior management system; it's more proactive than reacting to behaviors.

We also have a school wide discipline plan. Kids get warnings and if the behavior continues (and it depends on the offense) they are told to "scoot away" from the group. This could be going to the table while we're on the rug. Somewhere away from the group. I usually just point to send a child away. They come back when they are ready. If the behavior continues or it's a more severe offense, the child goes to the "stop and think" this is a specified place (each classroom has one). Mine is a chair at a table with a stop sign next to it. The child fills out a form and then problem solves with the teacher before returning to the group. If the behavior continues or is a more severe offense the child is sent to the "buddy room". This means going to another classroom and sitting at that classroom's stop and think and filling out the form.

I haven't sent anyone to the buddy room this year. I have one child who needs to go but refuses so then I call the office. He has severe disruptive behaviors.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote

LastMinute123

Old 11-20-2013, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Dr. Marvin Marshall's Discipline without Stress, Punishment, or Rewards. Flipping cards and moving clips and giving raffle tickets wore me out and never seemed fair or logical. This way, the kids can label their own behavior and fix it. It also stopped parents from asking "What color is he on?" and shifted them to "How is he doing?" Finally, it stopped antagonizing the kids that would run through the system right to red because of their own low expectations of themselves and changed it from "the teacher made me get on red/got me in trouble" to "I made a bad choice but I can fix it."

I love it, the kids accept it, and it totally works for me. I combine it with a very modified Daily 5, aspects of Whole Brain Teaching, and the occasional stern lecture
LastMinute123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 11-21-2013, 02:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use a classroom economy based system. They have to add up their money at the end of the month and can purchase items I have. If they do not follow the rules they have to pay the fine (the fines are set and agreed upon at the start of the year)

Also, my school has a zero tolerance policy for repeated bad behavior and the mindset is education is a privilege. If you do not want to learn then go to the temple and learn with the monks.
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote