1st/2nd combo...what does your schedule look like? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

1st/2nd combo...what does your schedule look like?

>

Miller

1st/2nd combo...what does your schedule look like?
Old 07-22-2014, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This will be my first time having a combo class. I have kids reading and kids who can't recognize all letters. Some cannot count corresponding sets, some can add and subtract.

I did a bad job tracking IEP goals last year. I want/need to improve that.

Please share your schedule and any ideas that work best for you.

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsh66

Old 07-22-2014, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have a direct answer but you might be able to look through these blogs for some help.

http://www.teachingblogaddict.com/20...ion-blogs.html
mrsh66 is offline   Reply With Quote

expertteacher

Hello
Old 07-22-2014, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have taught combo classes my entire teaching career.

For the last 2 years I had a 1st/2nd combo.

Last year I had more students that were on a similar level so it was easier for me to group. The year before students were on two distinct levels. This is what I do and it makes my life easier. I schedule everything at the same time.

So I started my day last year with math for an hour, 9:30 - 10:30. I taught my biggest group that were on the same level and my para taught the other group that was on the same level.

Then we moved to writing from 10:30 - 11:30. Writing is the easiest to teach because we use Writers' Workshop. I taught by writing mode. So if I was teaching informational everyone was learning informational at their level. I tried to start with a mini-lesson that was relevant to everyone. At the beginning of the year, 1st grade needs to be taught how to write sentence, spacing, etc. each group had their own guidelines and I start off basic for the lowest group and then built to what the higher group needed. So, some days one grade may work with the para or start writing immediately and the other grade may work with you getting more detailed to meet their grade level requirements. Everyone shared together in author's chair and offered feedback.

I spent all afternoon from 11:45-2:45 on reading until everyone ended with science/social studies in their regular ed classes. We did readers' workshop but you have to tailor it for your class. I would have my para work on sight words, letter id,or IEP goals with one group while I did my mini lesson with the other group. When possible, I combined groups for mini-lessons. For example, character and setting. I would switch to the other group. Some days I only did a mini-lesson with one group. I spent more time teaching key skills (learning to read and focusing on comprehension) during my guided reading time.

If the grades go to enrichment and lunch at different times then you can start one group on a lesson so they can independently practice by the time the other group comes. This gives less teaching responsibility to your para. However, I trained my para and told her exactly what she needed to do. We worked well together and all my students learned and grew.

I should warn you that there were many days that I didn't eat lunch or have a planning due to having the two grade levels with conflicting enrichment and lunch schedules. I hope this makes sense.

Please feel free to ask other questions, if needed. I'd be more than happy to brainstorm with you.

Good luck!
expertteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

expertteacher

Thanks for the blogs!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would love to read SPED blogs!
expertteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SpedQueenBee

Old 07-22-2014, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I create IEPs at a glance with a data sheet at the bottom of each page. I had them hung up in the room for anyone working with the students to see. Also I had copies on clipboards for the paras/myself to collect data on. I collected data once or twice each week on every goal for every student. Definitely difficult, but......
I've attached a copy of one of my IEPs at a glance. Hope this helps.

Attached Files
File Type: docx Sample IEP at a Glance.docx (12.9 KB, 41 views)
SpedQueenBee is offline   Reply With Quote

FilledwithJoy

Awesome
Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

SpedQueenBee your data tracking worksheet is awesome! Thank you for sharing.
FilledwithJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

SpedQueenBee

Old 07-25-2014, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Joy-Glad you like it! They take awhile to do for each student and need to be updated after each IEP meeting, but works for me. The Watson Institute
has some great data sheets and resources.
SpedQueenBee is offline   Reply With Quote