Help

Special Education

"That kid" year after year

>

readandweep

"That kid" year after year
Old 05-09-2015, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I always thought I would love teaching a self-contained class as you have the same students for several years.

Well, after one year of teaching self-contained I am so OVER two of my students and their parents. It is really affecting my ability to get through the rest of this year.

I think I am just frustrated that any social, functional or coping skills I teach at school are never going to stick as long as they live at their current home.

I worked so hard to provide structure and eliminate/reduce negative behaviors and I fear I will just come back in August to kids who have totally back slid or gotten worse.

We only have 15ish days left!

Last edited by readandweep; 05-09-2015 at 05:19 AM..
readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

spedder1

This put a smile on my face
Old 05-09-2015, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As I read your post I thought that maybe I had posted and didn't remember it! I've taught self-contained for 14 years. I love having most students for multiple years as I get to see the progress I wouldn't see if I only had them for one year. However, the ones with behaviors that are excused by parents because it's easier to blame them on the disabilities than actually do something about them are making me nuts, too. I have two little boys whose parents have actually told me that their children are special and can't help it. Really? I would love to tell them that in 40 years they (the parents) are going to be in their 60s and 70s, taking care of their adult children hitting, biting, spitting, screaming, and not being able to take care of any of their physical needs. Child A will be bouncing up and down on the couch and clapping like a toy chimpanzee with cymbals. Child B will be "talking" loudly and clobbering the heck out of anyone who dares to tell him "no". Neither will be able to dress or feed themselves because, when they were little boys, they were given the "out" that they were special and couldn't.
17 students days and I retire.
My classroom is dissolving and the allocation is moving to a different school. No one has applied for the position. Not sure anyone will. I'm expecting a panicky phone call right before school starts, asking me to sub in that classroom. Nope.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Hang in....
Old 05-09-2015, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I worked so hard to provide structure and eliminate/reduce negative behaviors and I fear I will just come back in August to kids who have totally back slid or gotten worse.
This may very well happen BUT you will have an advantage in that you will have a general idea of what their [mis]behaviors are and what works with them... By early on in the 2nd year, and especially the 3rd or 4th year, you will be able to nip it in the bud much more quickly.

It's not all bad!
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

rosedemai

Yep
Old 05-09-2015, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree it is so frustrating with a lot of parents - they are definitely a big part of their kids' problems. Parents who sell their kid's badly needed medication....,etc. Parents who move around so much their kids lose the skills you taught them as they adjust from school district to school district, different living conditions.....
One thing that helps a little is that the kids do mature and their systems mature and August is horrible but the kids do seem to gain more control each year after a horrible start.
Not much help I know.
rosedemai is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 05-09-2015, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have students in a self-contained for multiple years, too. And yes, sometimes those behaviors that we work so hard on during the school year rear their evil little heads over the summer. But with 90% of my students who have behavior issues, once they are back in the structured routines of the classroom, things seem to settle down. (I'm not talking about those kiddos who never get into the behavior routines whose parents are always making excuses, like Spedder1 is referring to - that's a whole different issue.) Frankly, when you have a structured classroom where students know what to do and what's expected of them, I think most of our high needs kids really like being in school better than summer vacation.

The hardest part for me, though, is April-June with the kids I've had for three years. By this point in the year, I am so ready for my 8th graders to go to high school, and I know the feeling is mutual. We have all had enough of each other.

pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

DeDee76

Old 05-10-2015, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have one of those kids this year. The most endearing part is that he came as a junior so I will only have him for 1 more year. I pray that there will be no chance that they retain him after next year. He doesn't fit in a high school setting and needs to move on. But I am just the teacher with him all day everyday (he can't behave in gen ed elective classes). What do I know my opinion counts for nothing?
DeDee76 is offline   Reply With Quote

jmills

Old 05-21-2015, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Like the snow it leaves every year but then it comes back, or one similar.
jmills is offline   Reply With Quote