Help

Special Education

Mixing up Numbers

>

griffon

Mixing up Numbers
Old 10-27-2015, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I'm an ELD teacher, but I'm always in the classrooms helping with all the students. I noticed a student, not one of my ELL kids, that needed help with math, so I went over to help her.

She'd in 2nd grade. As I started to help her I noticed something interesting. She couldn't name the numbers. I finally got out a hundreds chart and pointed to numbers. If I pointed to the numbers in order, she could name them, but if I pointed to them randomly, she couldn't say them at all. 23 turned into 32. 12 turned into 21. It was strange and I've never seen anything like it.

So my question is, is there such a thing as math dyslexia? Or is this just slow learning? What are your thoughts?

griffon is offline   Reply With Quote

misscurlyj

Old 10-27-2015, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Digit reversal in second grade could be cause for concern.....Could you clarify what numbers she does know? You said she can't name any...does that include 1 and 2....out of sequence? Just to let you know, it is a kindergarten standard to identify (point to 15) and name (what number is this?) out of sequence to 20. It is also a kinder standard to know what comes before and after numbers. Can she do that? If she truly doesn't know any numbers out of sequence, that is concerning. Does she have reading difficulty? Chances are if she is reversing digits, she is reversing letters...but more than letter and number reversal (which doesn't point to dyslexia in itself), does she have trouble remembering what certain letter combos say....is she able to segment and blend? Can she break up two and three digit numbers by place value (for example in 23 does she know that the 2 represents 2 tens which is 20 and 3 ones?; can she represent numbers concretely with place value blocks but doesn't transfer that to understanding what 23 means when it is just the number in front of her? How are her basic adding and subtracting skills? What are her teacher's thoughts? Have there been any concerns in previous years? Does your school have an RTI model?
misscurlyj is offline   Reply With Quote

griffon

Old 10-28-2015, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

She could name the numbers in the ones place out of order, but once I started with the teens and twenties and on up, she got confused. I'm only there during their math period, so I haven't observed any issues with her reading skills. They're learning place value right now; hundreds, tens and ones place.

I spoke to her teacher and she said she is aware of the issue and says she has another student just like her in class that mixes up the numbers.

I'm in her classroom twice a week, helping with the ELLs. Do you know of any way I can help her as well while I'm in there? Should I just use repetition or is there a way to explain the numbers to her?
griffon is offline   Reply With Quote

misscurlyj

Old 10-28-2015, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Start with repetition out of sequence
misscurlyj is offline   Reply With Quote