Help

Special Education

How Can I Supplement Reading Mastery?

>

TeacherInTX

How Can I Supplement Reading Mastery?
Old 12-16-2008, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently began using Reading Mastery in my resource classroom with some of my younger students, and so far I really like it. I've seen great improvements in my students decoding skills. My question, though, is how can I supplement this program? Do any of you who are using/have used it in the past have any suggestions? I feel like the program is rather boring, and I'd like to find some good phonics readers to use. I would also love to incorporate some activities beyond just the workbook and worksheets the program provides.

Thanks!

TeacherInTX is offline   Reply With Quote

kristabel

Old 12-17-2008, 02:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi, I'm a huge RM fan. What level and which version of the program are you using (RM Classic, RM Plus or RM Signature)?
kristabel is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherInTX

Old 12-17-2008, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am using RM Plus, Level I. Towards the end of the year we will be moving on to Level II. I am using the "Fast Track" with a student in the 2nd grade.

newspedteach

supplementing reading mastery
Old 12-17-2008, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I too love RM, but it does need to be supplemented. As a primary (K-4) special ed. teacher in a resource room, I use it with my lowest students in addition to the district curriculum at a lower level. I do a lesson a day of RM and the students read the RM story. Then, I introduce a story in the district curr..we use Harcourt. My 3rd graders are reading at about a mid 1st grade level. We use the Harcourt story for their weekly spelling words and I mix in some sight words from their RM stories/lessons. We stay on the same story in Harcourt for about 2 weeks. I pick and choose what other materials I use out of the Harcourt for word work, comprehension, writing, etc. I don't use the RM worksheets with 'older' kids...but I do use it with higher K and Ist graders. I also pull from lots of other materials...Scholastic trade books, for example. I use graphic organizers all the time too..just whatever I find that works for a skill I am working on..

I hope that answered your question a bit. I would never use RM by itself, just like I wouldn't use Edmark by itself.
newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote
DI-ficionado

DI-ficionado

RM Supplements
Old 12-29-2008, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The publisher of RM - SRA, has several supplements listed on the Reading Mastery Signature Edition page on SRAonline.com.

Many of the supplements they have listed can also be used with earlier versions (Classic/Plus).

They have a new Fluency Reinforcement program, Test Practice, and some nice PD/training tools.

All the best!

-User

sancie

extras
Old 01-11-2009, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have used RM for 30 years!!!!! I always come back to it as trends change! One excellent activity that is useful is to make a cloze sheet for each story. I copy the story and enlarge it... then white out every 7th word (or so). It is very hard for them at first, but they get better and learn to tap into language.

Creative wise... draw the beginning and middle and end of story and write a sentence about it (with or without help)

Write the story from a different perspective

Find stories from real literature that similar
Themes: Arf the Shark = the worst liablilty becomes an asset... this is a reoccuring theme in many stories

and on and on
sancie is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherInTX

Thank you
Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

for all the input!

Misst5678

Reading Mastery
Old 06-22-2017, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My school has been using Reading Mastery for a few years now and the difference is amazing. Almost all of our students are reading at Grade level by the end of Grade 1. I have to make sure I am high energy to make it fun for my students because it can be dry.
Misst5678 is offline   Reply With Quote

misscurlyj

Old 06-23-2017, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am so excited to see other people who use Direct Instruction programs by Engelmann!!! I teach older students so I use the Corrective Reading program which is intention of the publishers if you have upper elementary students (3rd and up) but read at a much lower reading level (K or 1st). There are 4 levels in the CR program and when students are placed appropriately the progress is tremendous! These programs have been used for 50 years and have the research base and field testing to prove their success. It is good to see other posters that use the programs and also like them and see their importance. This put a smile on my face today. Thank you!
misscurlyj is offline   Reply With Quote