The Job Search

Resume questions

>

Loveandmercy

Resume questions
Old 02-20-2018, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

HI All,
As a teacher of ten years, should I get rid of student teaching information on my resume? Also, I heard that a good resume should be one page long, tops. Do you agree? Any opinions about font size?
Also, for professional training/seminars/coursework, do I add this to my professional resume or is the resume only for college coursework that resulted in a degree? In other words, I have taken an additional 30 credits in specific ongoing ed classes. Is this for the resume? Or do I just talk about it in the interview? Also, any idea if I should bring a portfolio to a job fair?
Thank you

Loveandmercy is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 02-20-2018, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

10 years, I'd get rid of student teaching. For teachers, you don't need to limit it to just one page, and you should keep a good sized font that is easy to read (11 or 12, imo). If that makes you go over one page, that's ok. It's preferable to a tiny font on one page that gets thrown because no one can read it.

I would put ongoing ed on my resume (and I have before) if it's through a university of some sort. It gives the idea that you are continuing to learn. By college coursework, I'm assuming you just mean the actual degree (not the classes themselves)? For ongoing ed, I've put something like "University of New Mexico, 2/97-5/00, continuing education classes for X" (and any certificate I've earned). "X" might be "for TESOL endorsement" or whatever the specific goal you've been studying.

I have no idea about a portfolio. I've never used one and from what I hear on the board, not a lot of people look at them. If you have one made and it looks great and you can point out a few things in there that would wow the interviewers, then I'd say bring it and pull it out to emphasize your point appropriately. I wouldn't hand it to them and expect them to look at it. For example, if you're talking about your innovative work with groups, and you happen to have a great example in your portfolio, bring that page out and show it.

Good luck with your job search!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveandmercy

Old 02-22-2018, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much for sharing! Helps a lot.
Loveandmercy is offline   Reply With Quote