Help

Special Education

Just being vulnerable here....

>

Opal

Just being vulnerable here....
Old 07-31-2018, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm kinda freaked out about going back to work at end of month....

The emotional/behavioral issues really stressed me out last year...

I enjoy teaching academic skills...

I already feel unhappy about the swearing, screaming, running, self abuse, chair throwing and room destroying behaviors....

Sorry to be so negative....wish my attitude was better....

I eat well, get sleep, run, have friends and family in life, and still feel a bit unsure if it's good for my health to do this again...

Opal is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

(((Opal)))
Old 07-31-2018, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I get it. I'm in gen Ed., but know the group coming up is difficult and I'll have the largest class I've ever had. I'm trying not to panic.

We just need to do the best we can with what and who we are given. I hope your year is better than last year.

Is there a way to move back to gen. Ed? We have openings posted internally all the time. You put your time in, maybe you can move back?

Sending good thoughts!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher0729

Old 07-31-2018, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm also nervous! This year I have way more behavioral needs than academic and I'm hoping I can pull it off. I feel like I have been really successful with getting students to make great gains academically but I'm nervous about what I can really do to improve behavior. And how to handle those escalated moments...
teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

QW

Old 07-31-2018, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Me too! We could start a club! Seriously, I think we have to take it one step at a time. Here's to a wonderful year for all of us!
QW is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-31-2018, 10:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Right there with you. The behavioral issues at my school are out of control. I also like teaching academic skills, but with some grade levels last year it was hard to even get to the academics because I was dealing with meltdowns and explosive behaviors all of the time. Our students are also the only sub-group in the building not making progress on state testing, so we're going to be under a microscope this year.

Teachers go back next week and usually by now I feel ready and am actually looking forward to going back and getting back to my regular structure and routine. Not this year. I am dreading all of it.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 08-01-2018, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Right there with all of you. I feel better about getting a head start on some things but nervous about this group. I have several who are really low and as a grade level, they are already known for spending lots of time outside of class.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 08-01-2018, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I almost missed this thread and am so glad that I didn't! I'm in denial about going back to school at the end of the month too!

These words really resonated with me "...still feel a bit unsure if it's good for my health to do this again." I get it! I know I am strong, I know I am capable but these past few years have really chipped away at my sense of well-being and my overall physical and mental health. My family and friends are supportive but don't really understand what we are expected to "fix" as special education teachers. I am only one person and can only spread myself so thin...

The behavior stuff is getting out of control and at times it worries me for our future as a society.....It's beyond the realm of our expertise as special education teachers.
WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote