Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

High blood pressure

>

lisa53

High blood pressure
Old 04-09-2019, 11:19 AM

I saw my doctor today for a follow-up visit after 6 months. Good news is that my blood sugar (which had been borderline high) is normal. Bad news is that my high blood pressure is persisting.

So, I had to get a blood pressure cuff, and she prescribed lisinopril. Anyone know about this med, or about high bp management in general?

I am working on losing a few pounds (I am borderline overweight according to my BMI...27) and I can watch my sodium intake better...

I just hate having to take another pill!

lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

BP cuff
Old 04-09-2019, 12:06 PM

I got an automatic BP cuff a few years ago when monitoring my BP. I had a hard time getting it situated correctly and when I did it seemed to slip. Hard time getting accurate readings.

Iíve been looking at the wrist kind. They seem to have improved over the last years. Initially I will confirm the readings w my doctorís office cuffs to confirm accuracy.

Thankfully you are being proactive in your quest for being healthier. Great job on the blood sugar! Celebrate your successes!
Beach Glass is online now   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Lisinopril
Old 04-09-2019, 12:26 PM

I have been taking lisinopril for a few years now. I started on the one with HCL (diuretic) and now take just the plain one. I have had no adverse effects.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 04-09-2019, 01:25 PM

I was on lisinopril for about 6 months but had to switch meds because I developed a persistent "tickle in the throat" cough, which turns out to be quite common with this drug. Unfortunately the lisinopril was better than any other med at keeping my blood pressure in check, so my doctors are still trying out different drug combos. If it works for you, it's a very effective drug. My friend has been on it for years with no problems.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 04-09-2019, 01:42 PM

I used to take lisinopril but also got the horrible cough. It made my life hell until I figured it out, especially trying to teach. Every time Iíd talk for a few minutes, Iíd start coughing. I never went anywhere without a water bottle and cough drops. Miserable! Figured it out myself through research. Switched to amlodipine which worked better for me anyway. My DH takes lisinopril with no problems though. Just be aware if it happens. It takes a few weeks to start and a few weeks to get rid of when you stop taking it. Happily, I am now off BP meds!

annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 04-09-2019, 02:33 PM

My SO takes that med for his blood pressure. He has had no adverse reaction to it. A bonus is that is inexpensive.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 04-09-2019, 03:53 PM

I have been taking lisinopril with HCL for 3 years. No adverse side effects at all.
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 04-09-2019, 04:00 PM

Iíve been on lisinipril for over 10 years with no adverse side effects. Recently had to add another med because my BP is so inconsistent.
dutchgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Diagnosis
Old 04-09-2019, 04:43 PM

I'm sorry you have to take BP meds, but your normal blood sugar level is great news! Congrats on that!!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-09-2019, 04:56 PM

I took enalapril for a few years. Itís related to lisinopril. It worked well for my BP control, but I had an anaphylactic reaction to it. I had to be switched to a different medicine.

Iíve been taking BP meds since I was 25. My weight, diet, and activity level donít influence my blood pressure enough to be off medication. I currently take bisoprolol and amlodipine.

Iíve taken various meds. All worked well enough for BP control, but I was switched due to interactions with meds or side effects or reactions.

DH just started taking BP meds at 50. Heís taking metoprolol. Theyíre still working on getting him the right dosage. He can lower his BP with meds and exercise.

Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 04-09-2019, 05:31 PM

I was on lisinopril for 6 months and had the cough side effect. I'm on amlodipine (Crestor) now with no side effects at all.
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 04-09-2019, 05:37 PM

I have been on lisinopril for quite awhile. I exercise regularly and am within an ok weight range but still have high blood pressure . Doctor says itís genetics. I donít have any side effects. It bugs me that I have to take a medication. Great news that your blood sugar is in a normal range
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

lasflores

BP meds
Old 04-09-2019, 05:47 PM

Iíve been on a few. Lisinopril worked great for me but I canít take it. It causes cyclic vomiting. Iíve lost 20 pounds in the last 9 months and still have to take BP meds. Itís genetics. Iím currently on amlodipine
lasflores is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 04-09-2019, 05:52 PM

My dad and my Dh both take lisinopril. Watch out for the cough. Neither of them got it but I have heard itís a side effect.

One of the things I will say about blood pressure ( I know this is so hard) but is to try not to stress too much about it. Dh was getting so worked up about his blood pressure I feel he was making it worse. I donít know just a theory. My dad had a similar issue. His blood pressure was fine every place except at the cardiologist. He said he was always so stressed for that appt so it made sense.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Any BP med ending in "il"
Old 04-09-2019, 06:08 PM

I have also had HBP since a younger age, even when I was thin. Lisinopril and Verapamil both caused that dry, hacking cough in me. It is annoying by itself but it also complicated my using my CPAP at night. I had to switch.

One doctor I had thought it was an allergy to the filler material used to form the pill itself was the explanation for the cough.

Due to changes in my insurance, etc. I have unfortunately been on so many BP meds.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

lpt

Old 04-09-2019, 06:18 PM

I was one of the coughers on lisinopril. It was a dry, hacky, need to vomit type of cough. It took me about 3 months to figure out.

When I finally complained to my doctor, he immediately changed it.

Good luck---you don't want to mess around with high blood pressure!
lpt is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

blood pressure
Old 04-10-2019, 12:36 AM

I'm also another on BP meds. It's certainly common! My mom had the reaction to lisinopril. Early on I had potassium problems with one of the diuretics so was switched to amlodipine and ramipril. It's under control for many years now. Doctor says it will be a lifetime for me since there is that genetic link. I do exercise but still battle with weight

Last edited by Linda/OH; 04-10-2019 at 12:13 PM..
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

WacSingLof

Old 04-10-2019, 04:55 AM

No experience with low blood pressure, but I wanted to wish you luck in this battle!
My best friend says she stays away from liquorice but drinks hibiscus regularly, as an extra step in the right direction after checking with her doctor of course
WacSingLof is offline   Reply With Quote