Got my end of the year evaluation back... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Got my end of the year evaluation back...

>

hikinghiker

Got my end of the year evaluation back...
Old 05-15-2019, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I received my formal professional evaluation back for the year. My school uses Charlotte Danielson on a 1-4 scale. 1 is unproficient, 2 is basic, 3 is proficient, and 4 is distinguished.

Well on my formal professional evaluation that I received today I received mostly 3s. I did get two 4s in one section (Domain 2). But the third domain (Instruction) I received three 2s and the other two were 3s. I believe I was rated proficient in that section but am not sure since she accidentally put the wrong teachers name (which she said shed fix and give it to me to sign).

Overall I got rated as proficient, but Im pretty upset at the 2s. One is in higher level questioning which I did do, and she even has a quote of my asking questions like how did you solve this? Which for Kindergarten can be higher level. That one Im okay with the 2 - not happy but understanding of it. I'm also okay with the 2 in assessments, since I know that one can be tricky since Kindergarteners can't really design their own assessments.

The other 2 is under the demonstrating flexibility section. I am not okay with a 2 in this section. She has mentioned nothing about it in any of my past evaluations and gave no reasoning for the 2. I am flexible - you have to be to teach Kindergarten! I regularly do quick lesson changes to meet the needs of my students...but I can't prove it on paper. TO be honest I'm really upset and angry at the 2 in this section and I really want to fight it.

Im not sure if I should argue my points though. I have received all 3s on my formal lesson observations, so it feels unfair to give me a 2 now in that same section. Altogether I am rated as proficient and they are renewing me, so Im not sure if I should argue and kick up dirt or just accept the 2s.

Im a first year teacher too and my co-teacher said I could argue but that Im also a first year teacher so the 2s arent the end of the world. My other co-teacher also got two 2s and she tried to argue but the AP would not change her score. (My other co-teachers have a different evaluator and got no 2s).

My main worry is that when I eventually want to transfer schools, that the other school will look at my 2s and decide not to hire me.

What would you recommend doing? Like I said, I'm not happy but I'm okay with leaving the 2s in assessment. I am not fine with the 2 in flexibility though and I want to convey that without sticking my head out or making waves.

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

70Primrose

Old 05-15-2019, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If it is your first year I wouldnt fight it. I got a few 2s in the questioning area my first year. Also, pacing. It was actually nice the next year because the curricular coach came and helped me a bunch, something my mentor was not doing. I listened and learned. This is my third year now. We use Danielson too, but our district took off the distinguished so proficient is the highest. I got all proficient. My P always comments that she loves that I am willing to accept help and to learn from others. If you do that it will look very good on a recommendation later. Hang in there and take it as constructive not a put down.
70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Is your evaluator approachable and willing to converse about the scores? Usually there was a meeting for the presentation of the scores where I worked. The statement"I'd like to discuss my score of 2 on my evaluation and how that was determined. This will help me in my goal setting for next year" would be what I would say in an email or meeting.

Last edited by anna; 05-15-2019 at 05:46 PM..
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

end of year evaluation
Old 05-15-2019, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You're a first year teacher, so getting the scores you got are normal. I remember my principal subtly telling me that she couldn't give me super high scores, so I knew that the scores were likely not entirely accurate.

I like Anna's email response too. It sounds like you want to improve!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 05-15-2019, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We use Danielson also. I’ve always been rated highly proficient. New P last year. My first eval from him was ok. Second one fell to proficient. Marked down in areas where my whole team does the same thing. Plus, incident happened with new hire. I followed the rules that we’ve had for 18 years. New hire got mad. Talked to P. He got mad at me for it even though he was willing to bend rules with no notice to staff. I contested second eval scores and typed up a rebuttal. I was pi$$ed. Superintendent was notified, and looked at my rebuttal. My P wanted me to meet with Super and himself. When I went to meeting Super wasn't there. I think she told P to fix situation. I went for meeting and secretly recorded conversation (legal in my state...don't have to notify 2nd party). I was ready to quit or possibly be fired. It worked out in the end. I stayed. This year I’ve flown under the radar. When we cross paths, it’s sort of back to normal. I told you all this to say, if it wont hurt you in any way, let it go. (Put on improvement plan, lose job, etc). Just really focus on low areas during evaluation next year. Let P know you want to improve. Ask for suggestions. Play the game if you want to stay a your school. We are not unionized in my state. If you have one, speak to rep. My scores improved this year on both evaluation. Best wishes.

desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 05-16-2019, 01:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would not say anything about it. As a first year teacher, I think you should be proud of your scores! I know my first year I was not "proficient" in everything I did. I certainly had a lot of room to grow, and am thankful I had a principal who was able to help identify where I needed work and helped me work on that.

We do not use Danielson, we use a rubric based on the teaching standards from NBPTS.

We are told that it is very rare for a new teacher to be rated proficient overall in our district. They are just starting out and learning and for ANY teacher , there is always some growing room. It is expected.

Also, for us, the language of the rubric can be tricky. Words like ALWAYS, CONSISTENTLY, etc. are a bit subjective and hard to really prove.

Personally, I would use one of the areas I had a two in and form my professional goal around that.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Go with Anna's suggestion
Old 05-16-2019, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

to ask for some guidance on how to improve. Shows you are striving. And, frankly, I was still figuring out this teaching gig in my 30th year. Students and curriculum change and challenge.

Those scores are nice for a first year teacher. I expect they will improve next year. Administrators like to prove that teachers grow under their guidance. How else can they show they are doing their jobs!

Congratulations on surviving your first year. Sounds like you were thriving as were your students, too. I wasn't really worth my pay until after my third year. I wanted to track down my previous students and ask for a do-over. Too late once they are in third and fourth grade!

Give yourself a relaxing summer. You've earned it.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Update
Old 05-16-2019, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you for all the advice!

In the end I did decide to bring it up. I said that I was surprised with the 2 under flexibility since I had received all 3s in my observations and nothing was brought up or mentioned previously. She brought up one example the last lesson where she said she would adapt it to include more things and I agreed and said that would be a great addition when I re-taught it next year, but I was referring more to day-to-day flexible changes and those opportunities or shifts in focus during lessons.

We discussed it a little bit more with her finding ways to defend the 2 like asking if I had read the rubric (which I had) and I ultimately said that that category was difficult because it is hard to show those day-to-day shifts that happen mentally during lessons or transitions. She did end up changing the 2 to a 3 and it was overall a pleasant conversation.

I also made sure to mention that I understood where the other 2s were coming from and how I could definitely improve on those sections and would work more on questioning techniques. I'm happy I stood up for myself (I was probably a bit awkward sounding, but hopefully not pushy) and ultimately I'm glad I did it.

Also taking the suggestion to make higher questioning my professional goal next year!
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote