Help

The VENT

Bogus Evaluation

>

SoDone

Bogus Evaluation
Old 05-17-2019, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our administrators got behind on doing observations and asked several people at the Board to help. One of them came in on May 1 to do an unannounced. He stayed for 45 minutes of my 90 minute class and I had no idea why he was even there until the next day when he wrote an email telling me to go self-score myself. He did not meet with me for a post-conference until this past Tuesday. This guy gave me almost all 1's and 2's. I have never had an evaluation that low - not even in my first year of teaching. This is year six for me. I did not question him about it during our post-conference because I had not seen his scores yet. He did violate the amount of time from the observation to the post-conference (supposed to be 5 days max) but we leave in less than a week for summer break. Can I refuse to sign off on his observation? Should I blow up the comment section? I'm just flabbergasted and more than a little ticked off.

SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Bogus evaluation
Old 05-17-2019, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do.not.sign.off.on.this. Just because admin got behind doesnít mean he/they get to violate the program. Youíre being asked to do several wonky things. If you have a union, go to them. If not, try your school board if you want to report this nonsense.

And if you are asked why you wonít sign, tell them: this evaluation did not follow any established protocol.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-17-2019, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my state you have to pass the training to do the evaluation (I'm guessing he didn't). You also have to follow the timeline per the contract and the time in the classroom. I'd check your contract and state statue. I'm guessing you're not a union state or that never would have happened, but I'm guessing you have some recourse. Don't sign anything until you've done some due dilligence. I'd even bs and say he didn't follow protocol and see what happens. My guess is your P knows he screwed up.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 05-17-2019, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

While I don't have any good advice, I will say that any administrator who's working at the county office level in the state of NC has had the required training to do teacher evaluations. That doesn't mean that evaluator was good, just trained.

I'm sorry you have this situation. Many administrators get behind on evaluations and don't stick to the schedule. That's tough on teachers. Administrators also claim to be vastly overworked with demands and paperwork.

Could you ask for another evaluation by your regular administrator?
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 05-17-2019, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No way I would sign.
If I were "forced" to sign, I'd write something along the lines of "My signature only acknowledges that _____ visited my classroom in an attempt to carry out an unannounced observation."

HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-17-2019, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would not sign it . Admin knows teachers are tired and want to leave but this last minute stunt is not something to brush off at all.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 05-17-2019, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Was this evaluation supposed to be announced? Was the "evaluator" from the board of education or from the district administration? The reason I'm asking is that Board members are often not certified and lack the credentials to evaluate teachers, whereas the district administrators may have the credentials.

In my district, we are officially notified early in the year who will be evaluating us. I don't think a change can be made without officially notifying the teacher. Obviously there can be good reasons why a change would need to be made (what if the evaluator was out on medical leave?). I'm not sure that simply getting behind would qualify as a good reason. And likely your administrators are getting dinged on their own evaluations for not getting all of their observations done in a timely way. Actually, I think there are stated deadlines in my district--and they are way before the middle of May.

At a minimum, before deciding how to handle this, find out the credentials of the "evaluator" and what your districts rules are about evaluations. Details may be in the union contract.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

GHVFAN

SoDone
Old 05-17-2019, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Do not sign!! If you have to, then definitely follow the advice from HoHumBeachBum.
GHVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Absurd evaluation...
Old 05-17-2019, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our school board members would not be certified to evaluate teachers. They are not even employees of the district, they are volunteers who are elected to fill a specific role, that of board member. The fact that the administrators "got behind" should be part of THEIR evaluation, and you should not have to pay the price for it. I agree, don't sign it, and if you have a union, I would seek the advice of their expertise.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

UniversalDes

Old 05-17-2019, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Do not sign!!! It falls on the administrator if they could be called that to be on time with the observations. I had a non-administrator try to observe me my last year I taught in NC and did not sign it specifically for that reason.

Normally I was ranked Proficient or Accomplished but because this "non-admin" was one of the principals lackeys to try and force me out she marked me down as developing. I refused to sign and had another admin come to see the lesson where I did make my proficient or accomplished on the evaluation. The only reason why I never made distinguished is because of the regular admin.

In fact the first year my Admin had taken over as principal she told me flat out "you will never make distinguished and I will make sure of that." Instead of being supportive and showing/telling me how to get to distinguished.

Grr, I'm still burned by that but for the love of education, do not sign.

UniversalDes is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 05-17-2019, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Donít sign... my P told me she was going to come in the week we were state testing because they were due last Friday. She came and observed on the due date, but I still havenít seen it. I told her that she knew the quality of my lessons all year, and I would just be doing a review game, not a lesson- I told her that I did not expect it to impact my evaluation negatively. I will not sign if I donít agree- you donít have to.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 05-17-2019, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I had an admin do that to me unfairly(undeserved low scores) & basically it was a lie more than once. I most definitely write a rebuttal and refused to sign it and had it placed in my file! (I was nonrenewed but I know he was this way with other tenured people too)
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 05-18-2019, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This really just blows my mind! It would be just common sense to me, that if I were the principal, and I knew that I dropped the ball and got behind, I would be extra generous on a last minute eval. I would not be giving out negative feedback and low scores like they were going out of style. And if I wanted a reason to get rid of a teacher, I'd have all my i's dotted and my t's crossed so that when I gave those negative reports and low scores, absolutely nothing would come back on me.

There are many hills not worth dying on, as we often say here on PT. This is NOT one of them. Don't sign that garbage.

Last edited by apple annie; 05-18-2019 at 09:29 PM..
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

FashionGirl

Are you tenured?
Old 05-18-2019, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I don't know what state you are in, but do you have tenure? I never heard of the board coming in - administrators from the board office, but never an actual board member. When I have received my evaluations, I tried to justify why I think the lesson went well and what I would change to improve it. However, I was never able to change admin's mind. I didn't want to sign my evaluations either, but the union said I had to. So, I would sign it and then write "Signed, but do not agree with evaluation."

I have never received tenure, so I didn't have any protection or say in my scores. I just really hate unannounced observations and Danielson...they suck and set the teacher up to fail.
Observations and evaluations have become so ridiculous and it's impossible to earn fair and decent scores - unless you are one of the ones they "like", or have protection and kiss admin's you know what.
FashionGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

In our state
Old 05-18-2019, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We are required to sign, but are allowed to place a rebuttal in our file. So you sign your name, date it, and say "Rebuttal to follow." That gives you a few days to to consider and write up your rebuttal/evidence.

The only time I did that, the principal backed down. She called me in and offered to change things I wasn't even planning on arguing about.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

1totravel

Old 05-18-2019, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Do not sign! You do not want to be a part of anything that is out of compliance, such as missing the date deadline. Also, please check your contract regarding a teacher's rights re who enters their classroom. You stated they were there for quite a while and you didn't even know why they were there. In my opinion, it's inappropriate to have someone there for an unknown reason. Even if it's an unannounced observation, the unannounced is the WHEN it happens. If they were there for evaluative reasons, you should know that. And are they credentialed to evaluate. Shoddy work on your principal's part!
1totravel is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 05-18-2019, 09:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

No Kidding! For all you knew that could have been some crazy person ready to inflict violence on you and your students!

I had a woman come into my room like that in my first year of teaching. Just stood at the back of the room and didn't say a word to me. I said, "May I help you?" but she just looked at me and stood there. I had no idea what to do, and assumed she was supposed to be there, so I just kept teaching. (This was before the days of big security and having to sign in and have a pass.) Turned out she was the elementary supervisor for the whole district. I thought she was incredibly rude not to introduce herself. I guess she thought she was so important everyone should have known who she was.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

SoDone

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2019, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Thanks for all the support and advice! I contacted my union rep and she told me it sounds like I have grounds for a grievance due to procedural error. I am pursuing it - tired of being pushed around this year!
SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 05-20-2019, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Good for you!
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote