The VENT

I'm a littled ticked right now

>

snazzyjazzy

snazzyjazzy

I'm a littled ticked right now
Old 05-23-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been subbing at a school since October and was selected to interview for a sped position that I have subbed for at least 30 times. The program does not follow the traditional model. The children that are in program are in general education but receive support every day from the program. Some of the teachers do not like the program. I have built relationships with the kids in the program. Two weeks ago, I was asked to interview (1 of 3 candidates). Due to state testing and severe weather, the interview was postponed until today. They post a list of interviews in the mailroom with the person's name and their position in the district (new, sub, para). and my name was listed for the position. About 20 of the teachers came to congratulate me and told me that my interview was just a formality. I thanked them but told them that I hoped the job went to the best fit even if it wasn't me.

I was subbing today and my interview was scheduled during the teacher's conference. I arrived and had to wait about 10 minutes before the interview started. I framed all of my answers based on the current model. I felt that I did okay (I get nervous interviewing). I felt that the interview was rushed (about 13 questions in 20 minutes). The principal asked me what questions I had for them. I asked them what, if any, changes they would like for the program. All 4 of the interviewers laughed. The principal replied that they were supposed to tell me at the beginning of the interview (which they didn't) that the program would be completely different (it would go to the traditional model). She also said that the other candidates have successfully ran the program in their current district and would know how to implement it at the school. I was ticked because I based my answers on the current model and didn't share my knowlege about the traditional model. She said they were interviewing today and tomorrow and would make a decision by early next week. I don't feel like I got the job so I get to sub for another year.

Gogogo

Old 05-23-2019, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Id be more than a little ticked. They probably didnt purposely mean to not tell you, but that certainly put you at a disadvantage. I would be very unhappy. I am sorry that happened to you.
Gogogo is online now   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 05-24-2019, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would be very upset also. But take time to calm down and get your thoughts together. Then, either make plans to have a conversation with the principal or compose an email. So what you know about the other model and sell yourself as the best person to implement it. You could open with something like, I was surprised but very interested to hear about the proposed changes for the program. It occurred to me that as we were focusing on the current program during my interview, I may have neglected to tell you some things about my prior experience in the other model. Keep your writing very concise so that he takes the time to read it. Include a thank you for considering me statement and a few words about your relationship with the staff and students and why you like the school. Good luck!
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote