Help

BusyBoard

Water Bottles in the classroom

>

puzzle1mom

Water Bottles in the classroom
Old 05-25-2019, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm just curious about whether your students are allowed to carry around reusable water bottles and drink from them in the classroom throughout the day. I am in a small parochial school and I teach 6th grade math. Most of the kids carry around those Swell type bottles. I know drinking from the water fountains is considered "gross" (we have them in the rooms attached to the sink). But the thing is, the kids drop them ALL the time - both in the hallways and the classrooms - and those metal water bottles (and some of them are BIG) make a HUGE thud and I know one has been dropped on a teacher's foot at least once. On the other hand, we are in South Florida and our classrooms open to the outside, plus our kids have PE twice a week outside. I just would like to know if other schools allow water bottles all day long - other than lunch and after PE.

puzzle1mom is online now   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 05-25-2019, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 5th and we do not switch classes. I HATE water bottles, but do realize they are necessary. I would like to ban the plastic ones that crunch as you drink them. Most of the kids treat their water bottles like baby bottles. I have now resorted to having 4 designated spots to keep them in the classroom. I have taught the students that they may have drinks only when I am not teaching. I donít know the answer to dropping them in the hallway- we have carpeting so it is not as loud I guess.
owl98 is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 05-25-2019, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Water Bottles were allowed in my district. Most classrooms designated a spot on the counter for the water bottles. I also only allowed them to get up and take a drink when I wasnít talking or giving instructions.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 05-25-2019, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We are the same as others- I let the kids keep water bottles on the small counter by the sink only. Originally I let them keep them at their desks but, like you said, they knocked them over all the time and several time the lids weren't on right and they spilled.

We dont change classes but we do have hot California outdoor PE everyday-they kids can bring them out for PE. I suggested to several parents that the kids kept dropping them or they spilled and it would be helpful of they attached them to a carabiner
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 05-25-2019, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Nope, not in my room. Some teachers in my building allow them. Kids have PE daily, and we are in the Deep South. I give restroom/water breaks and we have AC. During independent time they are allowed to go to the restroom and get water.

Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 05-25-2019, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We allow them in hot weather only. That means September and June. I have the students put them in a large shoe pocket organizer. Each pocket has a name and when we have a water break they go to their pocket, take a drink and put it back. I attach it to a closet door with command hooks. I could not stand the water spilling, the bottles dropping and the kids drinking all day.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-25-2019, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have a kid who has a metal water bottle and it drops multiple times a day. It makes me insane, but the argument if I forbid it (from both the parents and my P) wouldn't be worth it. I just cringe. We're a building with A/C. In buildings without A/C, it's not even a discussion; water bottles all the time. The heat is ridiculous. Rooms can get in the 90's.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 05-25-2019, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I allow them, but they have to be kept on the floor by the desk leg. That has cut down on the noise and I don't really care if they tip and leave a wet spot on the floor.
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Not a fan, but...
Old 05-25-2019, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have had so many water bottle spills in the last few years, that it drives me nuts. However, I much prefer the water bottles then the alternatives of kids constantly getting up to go to the water fountain. When I was in one school, each classroom had a sink and I water fountain spout on the sink. It was really nice. Then I didn't allow water bottles. They could go just get up and get a drink without missing anything.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 05-25-2019, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I allow it. They need proper hydration. However, if they become a toy or a distraction (notice itís always the same kids dropping it) they get put away.

seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

Luvetc3

Mean
Old 05-25-2019, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm a mean one I suppose. I don't let the kids have them in the classroom, but they can keep them in their lockers. That way, on our 5 bathroom breaks they can satisfy their thirst without waiting in line at the fountain. I just find that they are a distraction and mess more than a help. I'm all for hydration, but we're struggling enough to focus without water bottles in the mix.
Luvetc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-26-2019, 12:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Ours have to have containers with a sealable lid. Otherwise, itís fair game. Ours drink everything except energy drinks.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

water bottles
Old 05-26-2019, 01:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Yes, we have them. It cuts down on getting up to get a thousand drinks. Occasionally a spill is not a big deal. They clean it up.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 05-26-2019, 03:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

In general... (teachers have some say) they are allowed and most often kept at desks. It often seems to me the kids spend more time filling and rinsing them than they do actually drinking from them... and I do wonder if they need such frequent drinks when they are not in school. (We have gross water fountains in most classrooms. The kids use them to fill their water bottles.) I've dealt with broken glass water bottles... and at least one instance where the water bottle was moldy.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 05-26-2019, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I’m in Florida also and yes we allow water bottles. My students either keep it on top of their desk or if it’s “sweating” a lot there is a tray next to our sink they can put it in. I do have a water fountain in my classroom and not all of my kids bring bottles. If it spills, they clean it up... it’s only water, and it’s maybe happened 3 times this school year.

They have PE 3 days a week and recess daily.... it’s hot and humid here basically year round. My building is air conditioned but it only works 60% of the time.

I have a Yeti on my desk and I drink water all day constantly. I couldn’t see not allowing my kids the same.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 05-27-2019, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I encourage them. We do not have AC. My room has been 98į at times. I always have liquid. They need it.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieP

Old 05-28-2019, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Our students are required to carry a water bottle each day. I want to find a way next year to secure them on a separate table or something because they were always getting knocked over, spilling, clanking, falling off desks.
JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

water bottles
Old 05-28-2019, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I let mine carry them, but they have to keep them in their book bag to sip throughout the day. They're not allowed at their desks because they can spill.

I agree that water fountains are nasty.
SusanTeach is online now   Reply With Quote