Help

BusyBoard

Fired

>

Akitia

Fired
Old 05-25-2019, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am 58 soon to be 59; and I just lost my teaching job. I am too depressed to think it through.

Akitia is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Sorry to hear
Old 05-26-2019, 02:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Would it help to state what happened? Was it unjust? Budget cuts?
I do believe when one door closes, another door will open. Hang in there!
LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 05-26-2019, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am so sorry to hear this. Would it help to (at some point) explain what happened? I'm with LaFish----as hard as it is, I wonder if something won't work out for the best.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 05-26-2019, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm so sorry that you're in this mind-numbing situation. It's frightening to be without a job and feelings of shame can accompany the grief of losing your security. I hope you find people who can guide and support you. You deserve security and happiness.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Fired
Old 05-26-2019, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with ppís. When you can, type it all out as step one of your release. One thing I know about The Pro Teacher Community...we are supportive.

Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 05-26-2019, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

WTH! Do you have a union?
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Find positive people
Old 05-26-2019, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Akitia, I am so sorry for your loss; I pray that God comforts you through this process. Losing a job, no matter what the reason, is a depressing deal.

Please find some local positive people to be around, soon. It's important to get through the numbness and move.

Church, believe it or not, is for hurting people, and there are supportive people there to help you.

I pray that God heals you, and guides, and blesses you with a better position that is more suitable to your needs, soon. I pray that you feel better and meet supportive people in your area to help you network into better circumstances, soon.
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

Akitia

Fired
Old 05-26-2019, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes, there is a union, unfortunately, I was not smart enough to join.

Akitia

Fired
Old 05-26-2019, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you all for the support. I am none tenured in a hire at will, fire at will state.

Akitia

Fired
Old 05-26-2019, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It does and it does not, I have rehashed it time and time again to anybody who would listen. Once I am by myself the hopelessness of defeat is so strong that I do not want to live.

Munchkins

Akitia!!!
Old 05-26-2019, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You are SO much more than just a job!!! Of course you are feeling defeated, as any of us would. But please realize what a gift you are to this world, whether you are teaching or not. We struggle with balancing the various parts of our lives, so I beg you not to let one part, your work life, become more than it is.
Think about the other parts, and remember that you are valued, and that there are a whole lot of people out there, including those on this website, who care about you and are sending positive vibes and prayers your way.

Take a deep breath. Get out and see someone. Call a help line. And know that we care. (((big hugs)))

P.S. I see you're from NJ. As far as joining a union, they can't do anything for you if you aren't tenured, except be there for moral support and make sure you are offered COBRA if you need insurance coverage. You can find out if you are entitled to unemployment insurance if you are non-renewed and not a reduction in force. If you resign, you give up the unemployment. I'm so sorry this is happening to you, but you aren't the first, and won't be the last. ((hug))
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 05-26-2019, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Akita, I am so sorry you are going through this tough time. I can hear the hurt in your post. Some times these things happen because of politics or age discrimination and are not a reflection on the person involved.

A lot of people on the vent board are ready to leave teaching, so there are other opportunities out there.

If you really want to still teach, you might consider applying at a small private school where age for new hires doesn't matter as much. Our school is considering hiring teacher who is 68 years old to replace me when I retire.

Hang in there. I hope you don't mind, I just said a short prayer for you.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 05-26-2019, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
You are SO much more than just a job!!! Of course you are feeling defeated, as any of us would. But please realize what a gift you are to this world, whether you are teaching or not.
This, so much this!!!

It's natural to feel overwhelmed, but that feeling is temporary!

The end of this job could make way for the beginning of a much better one right around the corner. Please stick around to find out!

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
1-800-273-8255
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 05-26-2019, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Akitia I know how you feel. A few years a go I was fired, without cause and without any write ups or negative evaluations. I was a victim of a vindictive principal who was under a lot of stress and dealt with that stress by passing on her hurt to others.

I knew it was wasn't my fault and I already had another job lined up-that was why she fired me-But it still hurt me so deeply and I felt embarrassed and humiliated and depressed and I started to dwell on it and that did not help. It took a little time but the best thing for me to do was to move forward and focus on what I could do for me.

As hard as it feels right now it will pass, and it will get better so keep the truth of hope close to your heart. Keep moving, find something to be happy about everyday, and spend time with your loved ones. Apply all over and apply to sub if you are in a competitive area. This is not the end, this is just a detour and you might be surprise at the great things that are in store for you on this detour.

I am so much happier now at my job then I ever was at the old place and...That horrible old principal even got her comeuppance and was fired mid year a few years later. I can look back on it now and smile, and so will you. Just get through today and put one foot infront of the other until you are finally out of the fire and can look back on it.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Akitia

Sorry to hear
Old 05-26-2019, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Thank you for your support. I was in shock, I was sort of expecting it, but didnít think it would happen. Since I was doing all that I was suppose to do, I think it was unjust. However, I am non-tenure in a hire at will fire at will state, and I am not I the union.

KetchupChips

Big hug to you!
Old 05-26-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Iím so, so sorry, Akitia, that you are going through this. It is so demoralizing, and so upsetting. We are here for you to vent, YELL, say whatever you need to say. As others have said so well, you are so much more than your job.

Surround yourself with people who will continue to listen and empathize. I hope you have a teacher friend that can help you strategize on what to do next. We are here for you!! Please stay in touch.
KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 05-26-2019, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I'm so sorry Akitia! No one deserves that kind of treatment. Apply for unemployment immediately. Here's an article that may help you in the coming days...

10 Things You Should Do Immediately After Being Fired

https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs...er-being-fired
jov is online now   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 05-27-2019, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
defeat is so strong that I do not want to live
Talk to people near you. Talk to family or friends. Out of darkness comes light. While this is traumatic right now it will not always be.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 05-28-2019, 03:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Quote:
Once I am by myself the hopelessness of defeat is so strong that I do not want to live.
Others have offered excellent advice, including the National Suicide Hotline number--a good resource. You can call that number anytime--not only in crisis. Many states also have hotlines... and some states have "warm lines" which are less crisis oriented. There is also a National Crisis Text Line. Text "Connect" to 741741 anywhere in the U.S. They will move you from a "hot moment" to a "cool moment."

It will be (is) hard to remember that people do care... one reason you want to stay connected to others as much as you can, whether it's posting here, calling a friend, or reaching out to one of the Hotlines. It is great that you are able to share even your darkest feelings openly... keep doing so. Your feelings are real and it's okay to have them... just don't allow those feelings to consume you or make a decision solely based on those feelings of hopelessness.

It is hard to see the hope, especially when you are alone. What you are experiencing is not rare but it is also uniquely your experience. Let others care and keep sharing. When you think you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

If I can be of further help, feel free to PM me... I usually check this forum at least once per day and will reply as quickly as I can.
MaineSub is online now   Reply With Quote

Akitia

Kinderkr4zy
Old 05-28-2019, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Thank you so much for you kind and encouraging advice. Thank you.

Akitia

Jov
Old 05-28-2019, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Thank you for the article, it was helpful.

Akitia

MainSub
Old 05-28-2019, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I sleep (if you want to call it that) with the crisis hotline number. I do not want to die, but I also do not want to live right now. So I am constantly contemplating, I really do not trust myself. I think itís just a matter of time and courage; I AM TIRED

MaineSub

Reassuring...
Old 05-29-2019, 01:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Quote:
I sleep (if you want to call it that) with the crisis hotline number. I do not want to die, but I also do not want to live right now. So I am constantly contemplating, I really do not trust myself. I think itís just a matter of time and courage; I AM TIRED
Thank you. This is reassuring... And I think I understand not trusting oneself--that's why connections and hotlines become important. They are about someone who cares, will listen, and gently but firmly "challenge" your thinking and potential decisions.

What I'm hearing you say is "I do not want to die, but I also do not want to live the way I am right now."

Time and courage... let's add connection and change... even small change. Exhaustion is debilitating... whether it's mental, physical, or emotional--and they interconnect. Keep moving, keep thinking, and keep feeling--however slowly and small--in a direction that takes you to a way of life that is about living. Just coming to this forum counts.

JanetL

Old 05-29-2019, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I am so sorry. Please get some medical attention for yourself. Go to an emergency room if necessary. Thinking of you.
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

Akitia

Honest Opinions Please
Old 05-30-2019, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Should I give up on wanting to be a teacher? Remember I am 58 soon to be 59 and have not had a successful first year yet. Is it too late.

MaineSub

Hard question...
Old 05-31-2019, 02:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I would say this: age is not a factor. I was older than you when my then principal tried very hard to talk me into getting an advanced degree and becoming certified. I opted not to go that route for a number of reasons, including the fact there were alternatives that would allow me to achieve my goals and objectives.

The answer to your question may lie in some other questions "Why do you want to be a teacher?" and "What are your options?" If you can state your desire in a more general way you may discover alternatives.

Personally, I don't subscribe to the "Never give up" philosophy, at least in a literal sense. It doesn't make sense for a fish to keep trying to climb a tree. But there are lots of other things fish might do to satisfy the urge to climb... like jumping waterfalls.

Akitia

Old 05-31-2019, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Your comments are always enlightening, thank you.

Akitia

KatrynG
Old 06-03-2019, 01:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I read your comment over and over again. Thank you.

MaineSub

How's it going...?
Old 06-08-2019, 01:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Just checking... how are you doing, Akitia?

Akitia

Hi MaineSub
Old 06-20-2019, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Hello-some days are good -some not so good - I am job hunting.

Akitia

Thank you
Old 06-20-2019, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Thanks for checking on me.

anna

Old 06-21-2019, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I'm so sorry this happened to you Akitia Never give up on your dreams of being a teacher and keep looking everywhere for that second chance. Many people do get another teaching job after being fired.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote